Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times

Advertisements

(waving to posters who may remember me)

Standing up for one's rights isn't hostility towards certain Christian churches. As our nation moves more to the secular (similar to many of our European contemporaries with higher standards of living I might add) it will be perceived by many Christians as hostility, hatred, or evil of their religious beliefs or even of themselves.

The only true venom I see thrown at religious groups is in response to the venom flung by some of them at others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
In my viewpoint there seems to be more open hatred of..
Christians today.I see it online,tv,online video games i play.
People claim that christians are forcing their views on everyone,etc
I really dont see what they are talking about.
Seems like this country is fighting a cultural battle in many ways.
I honestly see it getting worse....
Of course christians today have it much better than christians in...
Other time periods.
I think what you are seeing is a response to the political rise and then collapse of radical fundamentalism in the United States in the name of Christ.

Beginning in the 1980s, radical Christian sects began organizing with the express intent of overtaking the United States government. They reached a level of power and influence that they were able to get a president in the White House that, at least in rhetoric and out of a need to compensate for alcoholism, ascribed to their religious doctrine.

Their beliefs pushed our nation to the brink and collapsed under its own weight. People are very, very frustrated with this hostile takeover of our country.

When we have righted our ship, you will see this frustration decline. Until then, it is the natural order of things.

But to say that the most powerful organization in the world is somehow persecuted because others fight back against succumbing to their ideology is a little myopic in view. Anytime a singular group rises to power and forces itself on others, that group meets resistance. It's just disingenous for these sects to paint themselves as victims. People are just fighting back for their freedom.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:37 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
LOL. Talk about hypocrisy. Many of those issues are diametrically opposed to Christian values or are tied to Christian values yet you have heartburn that Christians would speak about those issues passionately. You completely disregard the fact that Christians have begun to speak about those issues as liberals, in most cases, have begun to drive changes in the status quo. It's not as if Christians woke up one morning and decided "hey, we're going to make an issue about gay marriage and Christmas." In fact it was merely a response to other groups who decided to wake up one morning and say, "I don't want my employees saying Merry Christmas," or "Let's not allow a nativity scene in the 'town square' though there's been one there every year for as long as anyone can remember," or "though there's never been gay 'marriage' in this country's 200+ years of existence let's claim that it's been a basic human right."

If you want to get all up in arms about people being obnoxious and getting in people's face, you need to start on the other side of the debate.

Businesses have always been able to choose how they want to great customers. It's a business decision, not a slam to your faith, but you will argue that it is. Over and over.
We change laws all the time. Just because something has meant "x" in the past doesn't mean it can't mean "y" in the future. Things change, society and it's "traditions" are not, have never been, and never will be stagnant.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
(waving to posters who may remember me)

Standing up for one's rights isn't hostility towards certain Christian churches. As our nation moves more to the secular (similar to many of our European contemporaries with higher standards of living I might add) it will be perceived by many Christians as hostility, hatred, or evil of their religious beliefs or even of themselves.

The only true venom I see thrown at religious groups is in response to the venom flung by some of them at others.
So a Christian who lives in a country that has done things one way for hundreds of years is venomous for trying to maintain things that way?

Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I think what you are seeing is a response to the political rise and then collapse of radical fundamentalism in the United States in the name of Christ.

Beginning in the 1980s, radical Christian sects began organizing with the express intent of overtaking the United States government. They reached a level of power and influence that they were able to get a president in the White House that, at least in rhetoric and out of a need to compensate for alcoholism, ascribed to their religious doctrine.

Their beliefs pushed our nation to the brink and collapsed under its own weight. People are very, very frustrated with this hostile takeover of our country.

When we have righted our ship, you will see this frustration decline. Until then, it is the natural order of things.

But to say that the most powerful organization in the world is somehow persecuted because others fight back against succumbing to their ideology is a little myopic in view. Anytime a singular group rises to power and forces itself on others, that group meets resistance. It's just disingenous for these sects to paint themselves as victims. People are just fighting back for their freedom.
Yeah because we've seen all kinds of fundamentalist things incorporated into our government like...hold on...like...wait, I'm thinking...like...hrmmmm...like...well...um...like ...can you help me here?

I love the supposed influence of religion on government. Lemme guess. You buy into dominionism don't you?

Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
So a Christian who lives in a country that has done things one way for hundreds of years is venomous for trying to maintain things that way?
The only reason Christianity has been a part of our history is because it was wrapped in with the European economic machine and they were the first to settle.

As other cultures come to this secular nation, we should proudly and happily enliven the vision of the founding fathers.

As Thomas Jefferson said in response to a great frustration with the clergy of his day, "Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law."

Old 05-31-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah because we've seen all kinds of fundamentalist things incorporated into our government like...hold on...like...wait, I'm thinking...like...hrmmmm...like...well...um...like ...can you help me here?

I love the supposed influence of religion on government. Lemme guess. You buy into dominionism don't you?

Everything from shame of the human body and abstinence-only education to the fact that a majority of the candidates for the Republican nomination did not believe in evolution.

In what other developed, industrialized nation will you see that?

None.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:56 PM

"...you will know we are Christians by our love by our love, yes you'll know that we are Christians by our..."

Perplexing, indeed.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
The only reason Christianity has been a part of our history is because it was wrapped in with the European economic machine and they were the first to settle.
Apparently our government is saying differently.

Religion and the Founding of the American Republic (Library of Congress Exhibition)

Quote:
As other cultures come to this secular nation, we should proudly and happily enliven the vision of the founding fathers.
You mean this Christian nation?

So says the Supreme Court.

"If we pass beyond these matters to a view of American life, as expressed by its laws, its business, its customs, and its society, we find every where a clear recognition of the same truth. Among other matters, note the following: the form of oath universally prevailing, concluding with an appeal to the Almighty; the custom of opening sessions of all deliberative bodies and most conventions with prayer; the prefatory words of all wills, "In the name of God, amen;" the laws respecting the observance of the Sabbath, with the general cessation of all secular business, and the closing of courts, legislatures, and other similar public assemblies on that day; the churches and church organizations which abound in every city, town, and hamlet; the multitude of charitable organizations existing every where under Christian auspices; the gigantic missionary associations, with general support, and aiming to establish Christian missions in every quarter of the globe. These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation."

And the Founding Fathers' vision of the US? Apparently you have no clue as to how they saw our Nation.

Quote:
As Thomas Jefferson said in response to a great frustration with the clergy of his day, "Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law."
You missed something else by TJ...
"God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."

But why look at just TJ and not other founders? Probably the same reason you pick one quote only to ignore others.

John Adams
"Statesmen, my dear Sir, may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand. The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspired into our People in a greater Measure, than they have it now, they may change their Rulers and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting liberty."

and...

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other."

And the "prophesy" of Ben Franklin...

In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a superintending Providence in our favor.… and have we not forgotten this powerful Friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance? I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: “that God governs in the affairs of man.” And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? … I believe farther that this [new government under the Constitution] is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other.

How did John Jay think we need to proceed as a Christian Nation?...
"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers. "

James Madison's views?...
"Before any man can be considered as a member of Civil Society, he must be considered as a subject of the Governor of the Universe."

Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Everything from shame of the human body and abstinence-only education to the fact that a majority of the candidates for the Republican nomination did not believe in evolution.

In what other developed, industrialized nation will you see that?

None.
I'm sorry, where is this in law in our federal government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity