Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:41 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm... I've not read the thread, but I just wanted to comment on John MacArther to say that the few times I've ever heard him on the radio, I always sensed a lot of anger in his voice. I simply cannot stand to hear the man talk. That's all.

Heartsong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,788 times
LOL....I used to be that way with JV McGee. Now I listen to him every morning.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
LOL....I used to be that way with JV McGee. Now I listen to him every morning.

I grew up listening to J. Vernon McGee and Lester Roloff. Roloff died in a plane crash in the 80s, I believe. I remember my mom crying over that. I don't remember McGee sounding angry, though. I was probably used to these kinds of guys since I was brought up in a Biggest Little Church West of the Mississippi church/school.

I used to listen to MacArthur on the radio in Oklahoma. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but then I started sensing something a little off. But I am getting that from a lot of the big-timers out there, now.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hmmmm... I've not read the thread, but I just wanted to comment on John MacArther to say that the few times I've ever heard him on the radio, I always sensed a lot of anger in his voice. I simply cannot stand to hear the man talk. That's all.

Heartsong
I got the impression once as he was VIGOROUSLY teaching (and ranting a bit) that it was just a strong intellect flexing and running around in circles. No spiritual insight.

Religious doctrine + gift of gab.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I used to listen to MacArthur on the radio in Oklahoma. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but then I started sensing something a little off. But I am getting that from a lot of the big-timers out there, now.
I'm glad I'm not the only one sensing something is a little off with some of the big-timers. Even some of the old timers.
It's like you hear them say something and then a red flag goes up in my head. Then I start to ponder on what they said and why it sounds off.
Isn't the Holy Spirit wonderful?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
I grew up listening to J. Vernon McGee and Lester Roloff. Roloff died in a plane crash in the 80s, I believe. I remember my mom crying over that. I don't remember McGee sounding angry, though. I was probably used to these kinds of guys since I was brought up in a Biggest Little Church West of the Mississippi church/school.
I remember Lester! I have a friend who went through his school.

McGee definitely didn't sound angry - he just talks a bit dry with common sense and an even, easy going tone.

I had a funny McGee moment in the early eighties - in fact it was during my first week of marriage.

I had been single (and sexually abstinent) for a full 4 years prior so it was a very exciting first week. One day we woke up early (before the alarm went off) but our alarm clock had been accidentally set to go off by radio instead of the buzzer - so just as things were getting a bit heated - J. Vernon McGee's voice comes out of nowhere and loudly announced "Well, I can see our time is up for today!"

My wife and I nearly fell out of bed laughing.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM

LOL....now that's a good one!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I remember Lester! I have a friend who went through his school.

McGee definitely didn't sound angry - he just talks a bit dry with common sense and an even, easy going tone.

I had a funny McGee moment in the early eighties - in fact it was during my first week of marriage.

I had been single (and sexually abstinent) for a full 4 years prior so it was a very exciting first week. One day we woke up early (before the alarm went off) but our alarm clock had been accidentally set to go off by radio instead of the buzzer - so just as things were getting a bit heated - J. Vernon McGee's voice comes out of nowhere and loudly announced "Well, I can see our time is up for today!"

My wife and I nearly fell out of bed laughing.

That special moment would definitely have turned into a hilarious moment with McGee in the background!.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
That special moment would definitely have turned into a hilarious moment with McGee in the background!.
Those preachers are ALWAYS trying to control what goes on in the bedroom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity