Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

sven quoted:

Quote:
And if thine eye may cause thee to stumble, cast it out; it is better for thee one-eyed to enter into the reign of God, than having two eyes, to be cast to the Gehenna of the fire - where their worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched (Young’s Literal Translation)
The way I see the text is this:
Jesus: "And if one of your members causes you to sin, get rid of it. Wouldn't it be better for 95% you to have eternal life, than for 100% of you to be cast into everlasting fire? Now I know most or all of you don't know what I mean by everlasting fire, after all none of the prophets of old taught you about it. But try to picture the fires at Gehenna burning night and day; worms crawling through the refuse picking on the dead bodies; smelling like your house after your mother-in-law comes to visit with her ten pet dogs and cats in tow. Pretty bad, huh? Now try to picture a place a thousand times worse than Gehenna--a thousand times bigger and a thousand times hotter. That's the place I don't want you to end up in for your disobedience. So I've given you a clear picture of what to expect if you die in your sin. Don't come crying to me on judgment day saying, 'But Lord I thought...' cause I'll say to you, 'Look, I warned you. Remember? Now depart from me--into those fires that I tried to make you understand by using images of Gehenna that you could relate to."

That's how I see that particular scripture--nothing more, nothing less.

Now there is much more I want to address in your link, sven and I will. Right now I have to run a few errands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:24 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
Quote:
Now I know most or all of you don't know what I mean by everlasting fire, after all none of the prophets of old taught you about it. But try to picture the fires at Gehenna burning night and day; worms crawling through the refuse picking on the dead bodies; smelling like your house after your mother-in-law comes to visit with her ten pet dogs and cats in tow. Pretty bad, huh? Now try to picture a place a thousand times worse than Gehenna--a thousand times bigger and a thousand times hotter.
why the later? why imagine a place like that? might this be the reason for the common doctrine, to much imagination?

having no proper burial was horrible to the Jewish mind btw

Ecclesiastes 6:3

If a man beget an hundred children , and live many years, so that the days of his years be many, and his soul be not filled with good, and also that he have no burial; I say, that an untimely birth is better than he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity