Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 AM

178 posts, read 184,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

If a person doesn't feel extremely guilty over committing a sin, I would then question whether they know Christ.
Actually feeling guilty is a sign that you really don't know Christ.
Feeling guilty is one of the devil's greatest weapons in his arsenal of deception. You see, feeling guilty allows the feeling of worthlessness to overtake you. Guilt does not motivate you to do good.
Conviction on the other hand affects differently. It is a tool that God uses to help us see that we are missing His blessings if we disobey Him. Conviction motivates -- guilt paralizes! Conviction is simply realizing that what you are doing is wrong and changing direction. Conviction leads to repentance. Guilt leads to more guilt.

God does not want us to feel guilty. He wants us to be convicted. Feeling guilty makes you feel worthless, rejected by God. But that is not true, He does not rejects us, He convicts us, showing us, loving us, teaching us and helping us.

Quote:
Sinning repeatedly, is not a sign of a Christian, sorry. It may be a sign of a fallen human being, but not someone who walks according to the Spirit.
A Christian can fall, don't be deceived. Otherwise we wouldn't have been instructed to restore such.

But Galatians 6:1 instructs us: “Brethren, even if a man is
caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a
spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, lest you too be
tempted.” The ministry of restoring a fallen brother belongs to all
who are spiritual, which means, spiritually mature, those who walk
in the Spirit (Gal. 5:16-26)
. While never easy, it is vital to the spiri-
tual health of the church. You cannot be faithful to the Lord if you
don’t grow in your ability to perform this important ministry.
Restoring a sinning brother calls for a faith that is both bold
and humble--
bold enough to confront sin and do battle with the
forces of darkness, and yet humble enough to see how prone I am
to sin and humble enough to depend on the Lord so that I don’t
fall into sin in the process of seeking to restore my brother.

Quote:
Because sin is what seperates us from our Father. If a person doesn't feel guilty of the sin they commit, then again, I would question their Christianity.
One who is in Christ is no longer in sin and not separated from the Father. A Christian will feel convicted, not guilty, and he will ask forgiveness as we are commanded to do so.

Quote:
If we have faith, TRUE FAITH, we WON'T SIN. A lack of faith, IS sin.
There is not a single person on this earth, except Christ that does not sin, regardless of how much faith you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:34 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoicer View Post
Actually feeling guilty is a sign that you really don't know Christ.
Feeling guilty is one of the devil's greatest weapons in his arsenal of deception. You see, feeling guilty allows the feeling of worthlessness to overtake you. Guilt does not motivate you to do good.
Conviction on the other hand affects differently. It is a tool that God uses to help us see that we are missing His blessings if we disobey Him. Conviction motivates -- guilt paralizes! Conviction is simply realizing that what you are doing is wrong and changing direction. Conviction leads to repentance. Guilt leads to more guilt.
Yea, guilt was actually a strong word. Remorseful would have been better, for sure. A sorrow.

Quote:
God does not want us to feel guilty. He wants us to be convicted. Feeling guilty makes you feel worthless, rejected by God. But that is not true, He does not rejects us, He convicts us, showing us, loving us, teaching us and helping us.
Actually He wants us to be blameless and holy. This is a step by step process, but to overcome the world so as to not stumble should be the goal of every believer.

A Christian can fall, don't be deceived. Otherwise we wouldn't have been instructed to restore such.

Quote:
But Galatians 6:1 instructs us: “Brethren, even if a man is
caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a
spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, lest you too be
tempted.” The ministry of restoring a fallen brother belongs to all
who are spiritual, which means, spiritually mature, those who walk
in the Spirit (Gal. 5:16-26). While never easy, it is vital to the spiri-
tual health of the church. You cannot be faithful to the Lord if you
don’t grow in your ability to perform this important ministry.
Restoring a sinning brother calls for a faith that is both bold
and humble--bold enough to confront sin and do battle with the
forces of darkness, and yet humble enough to see how prone I am
to sin and humble enough to depend on the Lord so that I don’t
fall into sin in the process of seeking to restore my brother.
That is the instruction to restore a sinner. It doesn't say we or everyone has to sin.

Quote:
One who is in Christ is no longer in sin and not separated from the Father. A Christian will feel convicted, not guilty, and he will ask forgiveness as we are commanded to do so.
We are told to repent of the sin we once loved. We are to feel remorseful. You say we are to ask for forgiveness every time we sin? Over and over. This sounds like license to sin, with a "get out of jail free card" that never runs out.

Quote:
There is not a single person on this earth, except Christ that does not sin, regardless of how much faith you have.
Really? That I would disagree with. 1st John 3:4-10 doesn't agree with you as well, unless you are a child of the devil. What Jesus did is our means of forgiveness, yes. Washed clean and made pure in front of the Father, by the blood of the Son. But make no mistake about it. To say that a person MUST or HAS TO sin, just because,,what,,,they are human is a lie out of the pits of hell. Jesus was HUMAN!
We are called out of this world. We have a new King, not the one down here ruling this realm. We are to submit and heed His Word. To walk in the spirit, and not the flesh.

And it isn't just faith that causes a person to not sin, by the way. It is the Love towards their God that causes this transformation to happen. It is the Love of their brothers and sisters. Love changes everything.

Gal 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
[quote=HotinAZ;10364652]
Quote:
Really? That I would disagree with. 1st John 3:4-10 doesn't agree with you as well, unless you are a child of the devil. What Jesus did is our means of forgiveness, yes. Washed clean and made pure in front of the Father, by the blood of the Son. But make no mistake about it. To say that a person MUST or HAS TO sin, just because,,what,,,they are human is a lie out of the pits of hell. Jesus was HUMAN!
We are called out of this world. We have a new King, not the one down here ruling this realm. We are to submit and heed His Word. To walk in the spirit, and not the flesh.

And it isn't just faith that causes a person to not sin, by the way. It is the Love towards their God that causes this transformation to happen. It is the Love of their brothers and sisters. Love changes everything.
We all sin because we all have a sin nature.

1 John 1:8 says 'If we say we have no sin, we deceive ouselves, and the truth is not in us'.

Read what Paul had to say about it.
Romans 7:15-25 For that which I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing That I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not wish to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that it is good. So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which indwells me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the wishing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I wish, I do not do; but I practice the very evil that I do not wish. But if I am doing the very thing I do not wish, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wishes to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

Because we will sin, God has provided the means of restoration to fellowship with Him.
1 John 1:9 If we acknowledge our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

Since the Holy Spirit places us into union with Christ at the point of salvation, we share the priesthood of Christ. Therefore we are priests and have the right to represent ourselves directly to God the Father in acknowledging our sins to Him. Just name the sin and then forget it.

Sin is not only the overt sins such as stealing, adultery, murder, assulting someone, and things of that nature, but sin also involves sins of the tongue such as lying, gossiping, slander, maligning, complaining,etc..., and then there are mental attitude sins such as hating, arrogance, pride, vindictiveness, anger, fear, worrying,etc...

When sin is committed, you simply utilize the principle of 1 John 1:9 and you are instantly restored to fellowship with God the Father, and are once again filled with the Holy Spirit and under His control so that you are once again in a position to move forward in your spiritual life. Which means growing in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and applying that knowledge in your life.

1 John 3:4-10 is simply saying that while you are in fellowship with God ,which itself means being under the control of the Holy Spirit, you will not sin. But at any time, you may make a decision to sin and this puts you out of fellowship with God and thrusts you right back into the cosmic system of this, the devils world. You do not lose your salvation; you are simply in a state of carnality until you name the sin to God.

But make no mistake about it. As long as we are alive on this earth, we have a sin nature residing in us, and we will all sin. Not constantly of course, but we all will get around to it.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM

988 posts, read 1,903,544 times
Default !

Quote:
Does that mean we have a license to sin? Heavens no! That would make a mockery of Christ and crucify Him all over again! But, we WILL sin, even if we don't mean to, so why wrap yourselves up in all that guilt and worry? Just trust in Christ and do the best you can at serving Him and your fellow man. When you miss the mark (the definition of the word translated as sin), or even commit a transgression (deliberate disobedience) God is quick to forgive us when we ask for it because we have faith in Christ, not because we've gotten pretty good at keeping the law. Pretty good isn't nearly enough, but the shed blood of Christ is MORE than enough! This is exactly what the Scriputers mean when it says ALL the law is fulfilled by keeping the two Greatest Commandments!
[/quote]

Modern Christianity does not give a license to sin but it does issue temporary permits - as you have demonstrated in your post.

God does not issue permits!

God gives the power to overcome.

HK

1 John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil;

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;

1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not;

Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 AM

723 posts, read 1,046,375 times
[/quote]Modern Christianity does not give a license to sin but it does issue temporary permits - as you have demonstrated in your post.

God does not issue permits!

God gives the power to overcome.

HK

1 John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not;[/quote]

WELL PUT!!!

Also, I think that when it says "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;" It does not mean this person has not sinned since the day they were born, but rather has not sinned since being born AGAIN in Jesus Christ!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times
Quote:
Also, I think that when it says "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;" It does not mean this person has not sinned since the day they were born, but rather has not sinned since being born AGAIN in Jesus Christ!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
There it is. How many claim to be "born again" yet perform the acts of the devil?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
One more question . . .

Were we commanded to keep the Sabbath Holy prior to the 10 commandments?

If so, is there scripture . . .
That is a very good question.... The answer is often ignored by those who break the Sabbath and defend their action by saying the Sabbath was only for the Jews.

The Sabbath originated at creation (Not at Mt Sinai) for the creature to honor the God of creation and in turn be blessed by the Creator.

Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Sanctified means "set apart for the worship of God"

The fourth commandment itself refers back to the establishment of the seventh day as the Sabbath at creation.

Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God....For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Jesus confirms the purpose and and point in time of the Sabbath blessing.

Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man,

As we have seen in this thread - people do not object to the ten commandments, they say they are good and important and then eliminate the Sabbath.

HK

Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
There it is. How many claim to be "born again" yet perform the acts of the devil?
Very few, that is why Jesus said "there are few that find it"!!!
Plus all denominations claim to be the true Christian Church, and their baptism is being "BORN AGAIN". When in fact very few will find the true Church due to satan's deception!!! If you truly find the truth, and truly recieve the Holy Spirit. It will guide you into all "TRUTH". Which is the character of Jesus Christ!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM

HK

1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not;[/quote]

WELL PUT!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8[/quote]

Yes, that is the whole point of John's epistle - We may think we are born of God but if we commit sin we are not! That is the test - it is a simple test which anyone can understand.

HK

Old 08-20-2009, 01:44 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
The moral of the story is: Sister/Brothers in Christ Jesus, we do not get to pick and choose which one(s) of the commandments we feel we are capable of keeping and discard the rest. We should strive to keep them ALL! I mean strive, like your lives depends on it!

PS: Inward Sabbath of the soul, will delight you in the outward keeping of the Sabbath.

Betsey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity