Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times

Advertisements

Matthew 7:21-23

I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

What exactly is the will of the father, I have wondered this my whole life as i hear many pastors claim so and so will go to hell because they didnt do the will of the father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Matthew 7:21-23

I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

What exactly is the will of the father, I have wondered this my whole life as i hear many pastors claim so and so will go to hell because they didnt do the will of the father.

John 6:40
"For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

To suggest anyone goes to hell because he doesn't DO something is Spiritual malpractice. All we have to do is believe on (trust) Christ.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
In the Matt. 7:21-23 teaching, the emphasis is on "knowing God," not on 'doing' particular things. As scripture repeatedly affirms, our heart-level motive is at the heart of our relationship with God. In Matt. 7:21-23, those claiming: ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ ... are not challenged for lying about their actions, but, rejected, for being motivated by religion, rather than by a love of God.

Works/actions allow US to validate the truth of our own professed beliefs ('faith without works') ... and those of others ('you will know them by their fruit'). God already perfectly knows the heart, without the need to verify our claims of faith, with actions.

Last edited by jghorton; 02-20-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
"For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

To suggest anyone goes to hell because he doesn't DO something is Spiritual malpractice. All we have to do is believe on (trust) Christ.
Good point, we read that "the works of God are to believe on Him whom God hath sent" (John 6:29), as well.

There's a complete narrative on the subject, but the focus of the believer is not to work, but to rest. There's only one time in the NT when the believer is told to fear, and that's to fear that we don't enter rest. (Heb 4:1)

Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:

Exactly ... like Noah who trusted God. As Paul stated:
" By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith."
Exactly .... like Noah who trusted God. As Peter stated:
... God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.
In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

This "pledge of a good conscience toward God" is faith and trust in God's promise that through baptism that now saves you also .... It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ!

You're correct .... Calvinism teaches that baptism is something we do for God, which that is Spiritual malpractice.
Spiritual malpractice shows itself when it wantonly refuses to read that washing with water and the word is baptism
" Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy,
cleansing her by the washing with water through the word"

" But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us,
not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.
He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,
"
Baptism (John's baptism) was what according to Jesus:
Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.
But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”

Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Exactly ... like Noah who trusted God. As Paul stated:
" By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith."
Exactly .... like Noah who trusted God. As Peter stated:
... God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.
In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
This "pledge of a good conscience toward God" is faith and trust in God's promise that through baptism that now saves you also .... It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ!

You're correct .... Calvinism teaches that baptism is something we do for God, which that is Spiritual malpractice.
Spiritual malpractice shows itself when it wantonly refuses to read that washing with water and the word is baptism
" Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word"

" But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.
He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,"
Baptism (John's baptism) was what according to Jesus:
Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.
But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”

Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.
Of course it's proper to do what Christ commands us. But baptism doesn't save us. I'm not sure what you're point is about what Calvinism teaches. I've told you in the past I would consider myself a Calvinist...but do you think upon accepting Calvin we're all handed manuals explaining Calvinism's doctrines?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:

Anyone who looks on the Son and believes in him does MUCH more than say they believe and trust in him. They give away all their possessions. They perfect themselves as they would wish to perfect the body and bride of Christ. None look on the Son and believe, for if they did the mountains would fly. They seek excuses, but on that day they will find none.

A true believer would do what is proper, a follower of Lies will have a SHAMEFUL face before their JUDGE. Their soul will testify against them. Spiritual malpractice will be the excuses that the shameful will spit upon the Lord's face.

Yet you people let Sloth consume, swallow you whole... be vain and rotten, fall off the tree. Who would want to be the brother of Sloth and Misery?

Those who Know God do things... those who know God do not lay with Sloth, but embrace Perfection.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 02-20-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Anyone who looks on the Son and believes in him do MUCH more than believe in him. They give away all their possessions. They perfect themselves as they would wish to perfect the body and bride of Christ. None look on the Son and believe, for if they did the mountains would fly.
No. Just trust in Christ. that's all that we need to do to be saved. The rest comes as a result.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
Of course it's proper to do what Christ commands us. But baptism doesn't save us. I'm not sure what you're point is about what Calvinism teaches. I've told you in the past I would consider myself a Calvinist...but do you think upon accepting Calvin we're all handed manuals explaining Calvinism's doctrines?
I don't know, but it certainly seems that you do follow a "manual".
My point about Calvinism is that it is spiritual malpractice.

God says baptism does so save why you can't read it for yourself is beyond me.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
God's will for the unbeliever is to believe on Jesus Christ.

John 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."

John 6:40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.

God's will for the believer is to grow up spiritually. (Failure to do so does not negate your eternal salvation)

2 Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Those mentioned in Matthew 7:21-23 even though they had prophesied in Christ's name, and cast out demons, and performed miracles (Satan can counterfeit these things to a degree) they had never had a personal relationship with Christ. They had never placed their faith in Him for eternal life. Notice also that it is Jesus who decides who enters the Kingdom and who doesn't. It is Jesus who gives the command for the unbeliever to depart from Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity