Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:42 PM

57 posts, read 77,968 times

Advertisements

Please tell me as straight as possible:
Is Matthew 28:18-20 genuine, but I mean genuine, inspired Scripture?
Or, I could rephrase it this way:
Is exegetically possible to harmonise Matthew 28:19 with Acts 2:38?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 02:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,462,835 times
There are multiple types of baptism. Baptism by desire, sacramental baptism, etc.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,669,829 times
Be full to overflowing with the Holy Spirit...
Matthew 3:16 "The Baptism of Jesus"

After His baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heaven's were opened and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on Him.

After He came up out of the water, THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT WAS ALL OVER JESUS. HE WAS TOTALLY SATURATED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT.
It must always be emphasized that being baptized by water IS NOT THE SAME as being baptized and FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT.
The word "baptized" means to be TOTALLY EMERSED...TOTALLY SATURATED...with the Holy Ghost. Just as a glass is totally emersed in water, God wants us to be totally immersed in the Holy Spirit. He wants His POWER to be a CONTINUED STREAM FLOWING THROUGH US TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THOSE AROUND US.
In speaking of the Holy Spirit, Jesus said: "He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water" (John 7:38).
To be SPIRITUALLY PREPARED for Satan's attacks, we must not only be baptized in the Spirit, we must REMAIN FULL OF THE SPIRIT.
...people will go to a meeting...are filled...but before they come to the next meeting, everything they have received has "leaked out."...I know this has been my own personal experience...and I have observed people like this in my own church. The depth of our Christian experience and our commitment to God is lke a roller coaster...up one day and down the next....During a time of spiritual revival we are up on "cloud nine," but out on the battlefield...when the going gets rough...we are down.
God wants the Holy Spirit to FLOW THROUGH US IN A CONTINUAL STREAM, JUST AS THE HOLY SPIRIT FLOWED THROUGH JESUS IN A CONTINUAL STREAM TO HEAL THE SICK...CAST OUT DEMONS...AND RAISE THE DEAD.

The Same Spirit That Anointed Jesus Is The Same Spirit That Anoints Us

1 Corinthians 12:11-13 It is The One and Only Spirit Who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have. The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ. Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free. But we have all been baptized into one body by one Spirit, and we all share the same Spirit."

The Spirit that anointed Jesus is the same Spirit that anoints us. There are not two...there are not three Spirits. There is only one! There is only one Holy Spirit...one true anointing of God...with many different ministries. The same Spirit that baptizes also anoints...bears fruit...convicts...comforts...EMPOWERS...gives gifts...guides...illuminates the mind...regenerates...sanctifies...teaches...testif ies of Christ...TRANSFORMS...!!!
The same Spirit that anointed Jesus is the same Spirit that anoints us...YES!!...by God's same Spirit!!!...

...THIS MEANS THAT WHEN WE HAVE BEEN TRULY BAPTIZED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND ARE FILLED...FULL and OVERFLOWING...WE HAVE THE SAME AUTHORITY AND POWER THAT WAS DEMONSTRATED IN THE LIFE OF JESUS!!!...This is part of God's plan and purpose for our lives. He did not plan for us to go through life fearful...discouraged...overcome by our circumstances...beaten down by the devil.
GOD DID NOT PLAN ANY DEFEATS FOR US...HE PLANNED SPIRITUAL CONQUEST AND VICTORY!!!!!!!
He planned that same powerful Spirit within us so that we would be conformed and transformed into the image of His Son, whereby WE MANIFEST THE SAME MIRACLE-WORKING POWER IN OUR LIFE AS CHRIST DEMONSTRATED. Jesus said, "...as My Father hath sent Me, even so I send you" (John 20:21).

To Remain Full Of The Holy Spirit We MUST Keep Coming To The Baptizer.

Luke 3:16 "John The Baptist Prepares The Way"

John answered their questions by saying, "I baptize you with water; but someone is coming soon who is greater than I am~~so much greater that I'm not even worthy to be His slave and untie the straps of His sandals. HE WILL BAPTIZE YOU WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND WITH FIRE.

So, according to the Word of God...the answer to your question is, yes..one must wait for the Second Baptism...that comes in and through the Holy Spirit and fills you to overflowing...with the POWER and AUTHORITY that comes with it that enables the one receiving the anointing to have POWER over sin in their life!!...each in their own time...depending upon their commitment to God and His will over their own.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:46 PM

302 posts, read 554,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julio2 View Post
Please tell me as straight as possible:
Is Matthew 28:18-20 genuine, but I mean genuine, inspired Scripture?
Or, I could rephrase it this way:
Is exegetically possible to harmonise Matthew 28:19 with Acts 2:38?
Since we know that the scriptures are truth --and truth never contradicts itself, we must come to the conclusion that these two verses have a shared meaning:

WHAT DOES "BAPTISM IN THE NAME OF JESUS"MEAN?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:37 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,356,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
There are multiple types of baptism. Baptism by desire, sacramental baptism, etc.
Eph 4:

4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
Since we know that the scriptures are truth --and truth never contradicts itself, we must come to the conclusion that these two verses have a shared meaning:

WHAT DOES "BAPTISM IN THE NAME OF JESUS"MEAN?
I get to finally agree with Donna. It is all about authority.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Eph 4:

4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

I get to finally agree with Donna. It is all about authority.

If you do not know how to read or translate scripture, of course you would come to these conclusions. But baptism by desire is very valid. Let's just say someone desires to become baptized in the name of Christ, but dies before given the chance. They are "baptized" by their desire to become baptized.

edit- http://www.catholicapologetics.info/.../bapdesire.htm

Old 05-24-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
If you do not know how to read or translate scripture, of course you would come to these conclusions. But baptism by desire is very valid. Let's just say someone desires to become baptized in the name of Christ, but dies before given the chance. They are "baptized" by their desire to become baptized.

edit- The Catholic Teaching on the Baptism of Desire
So you're saying it's hard to read or translate "one baptism"?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So you're saying it's hard to read or translate "one baptism"?
There are other scripture in the NT that support baptism by desire. This is the problem with protestants like you, your translation of the Bible is faulty and one-dimensional, almost stupid. You will never know the fullness of Christ as a result.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
There are other scripture in the NT that support baptism by desire. This is the problem with protestants like you, your translation of the Bible is faulty and one-dimensional, almost stupid. You will never know the fullness of Christ as a result.
Ok. Please show this stupid woman the scripture that supports baptism by desire.

ETA: I feel the need to say this to you, AaronK. I know you're young so I overlook some of the things you say. You will need to learn quickly though, that your "holier than thou" attitude, and the way you represent the Catholic Church is a big turn off. It would not make me want to learn more about your beliefs. I realize this is something you will learn as you grow, but just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:34 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,773,417 times
Quote:
This is the problem with protestants like you
Not all protestants but just to protestants who are specifically like her right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity