Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,504,514 times

Advertisements

Since there is no time on the other side of physical death, how can we comprehend it? There will be no future or no history. How can we even begin to wrap our minds around that? Think about it. Everything would have to be in the present. With no time, there would be no future or past. How can that be? Perhaps there will be some type of time, I don`t know. It seems like there would be no time,though. Can you even begin to understand what eternity will be like? Time gives us a reference point.
I know some will say,as long as I am with God that is all that matters and why even bother thinking about it. But I`m curious when it comes to eternity,heaven,death,etc. Any thoughts about living outside of time. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,540,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Since there is no time on the other side of physical death, how can we comprehend it? There will be no future or no history. How can we even begin to wrap our minds around that? Think about it. Everything would have to be in the present. With no time, there would be no future or past. How can that be? Perhaps there will be some type of time, I don`t know. It seems like there would be no time,though. Can you even begin to understand what eternity will be like? Time gives us a reference point.
I know some will say,as long as I am with God that is all that matters and why even bother thinking about it. But I`m curious when it comes to eternity,heaven,death,etc. Any thoughts about living outside of time. What say you?
Well according to the bible 1000 years to God is as 1 day.. so apparently there is time in eternity...

Seriously though... I can't begin to even comprehend eternity. To me sitting in traffic on the freeway is eternity!

I don't think there is any human who can fathom timelessness. IMHO

Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,504,514 times
Thanks Kat. I was just sitting here contemplating how a world without time would be. We would just know everything because there would be no future or past. As you know, I like to think about those deep issues..LOL

Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,540,958 times
Quote:
Thanks Kat. I was just sitting here contemplating how a world without time would be. We would just know everything because there would be no future or past. As you know, I like to think about those deep issues..LOL
Yeah but just think how nice it would be to raise kids in that environment... just get all the reprimanding done in one foul swoop...

I often try to comprehend that but funny that I never really thought of it as past present and future all at the same time..

I have likened God's perception of our time as if he is looking down and able to see us as we drive across country knowing what is coming as well as what has been... but then if we are all in eternity what is there to look down on.

Yikes... almost seems like it would be boring.. Isn't it true that here on earth we are often bored?

Deep thoughts lead strange places! For me at least.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,107,707 times
Put a bunch of coins on a flat table.
The coins represent people that live in a 2-D world.

These coin people don't know what "up" means, they only know a world of being able to moved north and south, east and west.

To them the idea of "up" is crazy talk...

Now take another coin and hold it over the table so that this coin/person can look down at the other coins in their flat 2-D world.

How could this new coin that sees the reality of a 3-D world ever hope to explain this world to the poor coins that are stuck in the 2-D world?

No matter what the new coin would say, it would always seem far-fetched and a bit crazy to the rest of the 2-D world coin people.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,579,359 times
Quote:
You can't

Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,195,206 times
When I heard the truth as a child, I hurt myself trying to think when God began - when anything began - and still I wonder, no beginning?

Even if you don't believe in biblical truths, how can anyone comprehend trillions of years in the "past"? Did matter exist to them? Was there a warp at some point?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,138,438 times
Quote:
Hi spm,

How do we know we will be living "outside of time"? I don't think there is a scripture that says that.

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. ...

God's government will increase without end -> this seems to indicate a passing of time, in order for it to keep increasing.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,579,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Hi spm,

How do we know we will be living "outside of time"? I don't think there is a scripture that says that.

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. ...

God's government will increase without end -> this seems to indicate a passing of time, in order for it to keep increasing.
I have a question if God has no beginning and no end then is not God outside of time?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,138,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have a question if God has no beginning and no end then is not God outside of time?
I don't really know.

For certain God can be outside of time, He knows the future and the past.

But think about the creation. He had a plan to bring forth this creation. How did He come up with that plan? Doesn't that imply a passing of time before creation existed?

Its mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity