Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
It was a skit.
No one actually peed on anything.

What does give me pause, is wondering what dicussion took place among the writers of this episode.

They had to have know it would be very contoversial.

As a Christian, I find it insensitive and disrespectful.

On the other hand, as a comedy junkie, I'm ashamed to admit I felt very guilty about laughing.

What's THAT all about
I am not offended because I am not that kind of Christian - the kind that thinks God is talking to me in toast and and other stuff. In fact that is not Christianity. You laughed because it is true and it happens - comedy always will use exaggeration in order to make the point. Chill everyone there are more expressions worthy of rebuke than this - things that truly are blasphemous and hatefull toward Christ and his people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:37 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
HBO is openly mocking Christ and Christians.
It may be distasteful to some, but it is free speech, just like flag-burning and other things that some find distasteful. It's part of what makes this country great -- we're allowed to express ourselves even if it's not a popular idea and as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights.

I may think it's a crude form of self-expression, but hey, it's his right.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
It was a skit.
No one actually peed on anything.

What does give me pause, is wondering what dicussion took place among the writers of this episode.

They had to have know it would be very contoversial.

As a Christian, I find it insensitive and disrespectful.

On the other hand, as a comedy junkie, I'm ashamed to admit I felt very guilty about laughing.

What's THAT all about
You laughed? I laughed too... YIKES.. I laughed at his taking pills and having to urinate like a firehose... but you'd have to watch the whole episode to see the humor in most of the clip.

I also like the one where he eats the cookies meant to be the manger scene.. They scream at him that he ate poor baby Jesus....

I think they know they will get a rise out of it and that even Christians will have to laugh!

PURE EVIL!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It may be distasteful to some, but it is free speech, just like flag-burning and other things that some find distasteful. It's part of what makes this country great -- we're allowed to express ourselves even if it's not a popular idea and as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights.

I may think it's a crude form of self-expression, but hey, it's his right.
True..
But the OP linked to an article where they were distorting the truth making it sound like he urinated on Jesus in disdain...

That is why I posted the clip...

Old 10-28-2009, 03:09 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
I've been doing a little introspection here.

Part of me believes that there is nothing wrong with honoring that which is honorable. Or showing respect to that which deserves respect. So I tend to show respect to people or institutions that in my opinion deserve them.
Maybe I just old fashioned.

However, what I respect may not be what others respect, and it's their right and priviledge to have their own beliefs.

But, I also tend to show respect for people and things that people I respect, respect. For example, as a Christian I took my shoes off when I entered the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. I will take my shoes off when entering an oriental's home. I wore a yamka ( spelling?) when I attended the wedding of a freind who was an orthodox jew.

Perhaps this skit, did in a humourous way, show respect for Christian sensitivity. But I can surely understand if some are offended.

Respect for others, is something that deserves our respect.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:10 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
True..
But the OP linked to an article where they were distorting the truth making it sound like he urinated on Jesus in disdain...

That is why I posted the clip...
Ah, gotcha. I can't watch streaming video at work

Old 10-28-2009, 03:21 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
If someone did that to the Torah, every hollywood crocodile would be crying antisemitism.

What is this, double standards day??

Old 10-28-2009, 03:28 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
If someone did that to the Torah, every hollywood crocodile would be crying antisemitism.

What is this, double standards day??

I think we ought to get every race, every religion, every economic class, all together in the middle of the astrodome.

Then let Don Rickles have his way with us all.

It would spark the beginning of world peace.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:48 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
An artists rendition of christ does not make the picture holy or anything..I thought his reaction was funny..
I immediately wondered if the picture was under glass though, otherwise the ammonia in the urine will fade it out..I tend to look at the practical side

Old 10-28-2009, 04:29 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You laughed? I laughed too... YIKES.. I laughed at his taking pills and having to urinate like a firehose... but you'd have to watch the whole episode to see the humor in most of the clip.

I also like the one where he eats the cookies meant to be the manger scene.. They scream at him that he ate poor baby Jesus....

I think they know they will get a rise out of it and that even Christians will have to laugh!

PURE EVIL!

I think Larry David is hilarious!! I watch curb your enthusiasm all the time!! I am Christian. I do not find it offensive. In fact I'm actually more offended by the vulgar and sexual language they constantly use on the show. Just not offended enough to quit laughing!! There was another episode where his Dad was dying and told him he was adopted. He went on a search to find his real parents only to find out they're Christian or as he said "I'm Gentile"! And the Christians are not his only target. In an episode last season he dedicated the whole thing to the Jewish Religion!! Priceless comedy!! He basically poked fun at all of their beliefs. And he's Jewish!! Lighten up people it's just comedy!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity