Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 02:09 AM

696 posts, read 915,211 times

Advertisements

When you study scripture under what method do you view the inspiratation that is the Bible? When discussing Biblical truth one can truely discern how one believes by the below systems. I will generalize these systems. Again this is not an accusation, but another thing I learned when discussing Scripture. While not your average garden variety post it may encourage you to assist you in your studies.

Natural Inspiration - This states the Bible is the product of men who had a high order of genius.

Universal or Mystical Inspiration - This idea holds that Bible writers were inspired in the same way, as Holy Spirit filled men of today who prepare a message or preach a sermon.

Inspired Concept Inspiration - The idea that God gave man thoughts and ideas of divine truth and allowed them to express it as they remembered or understood them.

Variable Inspiration - The idea here is that some scripture is inspired more than others and some scripture not at all.

Dictation Inspiration - Simply put God is dictating and the writer is a stenographer.

The above methods I have found in my studies to be considered false by theologians. While what is listed below is considered to be true.

Divine Inspiration - the Holy Spirit enables certain people to receive God's Word without error or ommision. In essence the very word of God.

Plenary Inspiration - All 66 books of the Bible are divinely inspired to an equal degree.

Verbal Inspiration - Means that divine inspiration extends to every word of the Scriptures.

I hope this helps people understand each other more especially those who witness to Christ. If you have any questions as to why the first 4 are considered false and the last 3 true I will answer them. I merely posted this in hopes of people seeing forum discussion and opinion somewhat as I do. Think of it as a nice change of pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,422 times
You should also list inspiration that rings true to the soul. As the mind of man is ever evolving and what we hold true today may not be true tomorrow, our souls will always know Truth because that is what is the image of God and that is where God talks to us, through the soul and not the mind.
Maybe that's Divine Inspiration at a soul level.

Each of us is on a journey and what may be true to one, may not be true to another. We cannot tell another that their idea of Truth is wrong as we are not on the same path, even if we spent everyday studying together because experience and upbringing play a huge role in our thoughts and ideas.

I don't read the bible and what I do read, I read with my soul and I know that most of what I read is true while a very small part is false. What matters most to me is if it reveals love or if something is done with Love. Then I know it's Truth.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 PM

696 posts, read 915,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
You should also list inspiration that rings true to the soul. As the mind of man is ever evolving and what we hold true today may not be true tomorrow, our souls will always know Truth because that is what is the image of God and that is where God talks to us, through the soul and not the mind.
Maybe that's Divine Inspiration at a soul level.

Each of us is on a journey and what may be true to one, may not be true to another. We cannot tell another that their idea of Truth is wrong as we are not on the same path, even if we spent everyday studying together because experience and upbringing play a huge role in our thoughts and ideas.

I don't read the bible and what I do read, I read with my soul and I know that most of what I read is true while a very small part is false. What matters most to me is if it reveals love or if something is done with Love. Then I know it's Truth.
I would agree, but that is more Postmodernism than it is a definition of Christian ideas on Inspiration. God's word does not change nor has its understanding. What changes is what man chooses to accept. This is at the heart of every conflict on this forum and the world. Your words more so aptly fall under Inspired Concept Inspiration. I thank you for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity