Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I see, you're focusing in on the last portion of the verse. What does your version say about this?
My version? I already told you. My OP was a cut and paste from the KJV, which is "my version."

Honor thy father and thy mother that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My version? I already told you. My OP was a cut and paste from the KJV, which is "my version."

Honor thy father and thy mother that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Yea, what verse are you quoting? Because I also cut and pasted from the KJV.

2 Chronicles 6:31
That they may fear thee, to walk in thy ways, so long as they live in the land which thou gavest unto our fathers.

Ephesians 6:2,3
Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

The comments of honoring mother and father do not have anything about "the land which the LORD that God giveth thee"...nor do they appear in that wording in the 1600 KJV.
There are other KJV's out there...like NKJV or the altered KJV (JW's version) and the KJV (LDS's version)

Last edited by twin.spin; 01-29-2010 at 10:01 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Yea, what verse are you quoting? Because I also cut and pasted from the KJV.

2 Chronicles 6:31
That they may fear thee, to walk in thy ways, so long as they live in the land which thou gavest unto our fathers.

Ephesians 6:2,3
Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

The comments of honoring mother and father do not have anything about "the land which the LORD that God giveth thee"...nor do they appear in that wording in the 1600 KJV.
There are other KJV's out there...like NKJV or the altered KJV (JW's version) and the KJV (LDS's version)
Well in my kjv, exodus 20:12 reads "Honour thy father and thy mother:that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee."
So it appears katzpur and I have the same kjv,except mine has a 'u' in the spelling of honour,does yours say something different?Is there some point you are trying to make or imply?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well in my kjv, exodus 20:12 reads "Honour thy father and thy mother:that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee."
So it appears katzpur and I have the same kjv,except mine has a 'u' in the spelling of honour,does yours say something different?Is there some point you are trying to make or imply?
no, just couldn't find the verse specifically being referenced to.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 PM

939 posts, read 1,025,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's just from the Ten Commandments -- Exodus 20. (It's a short chapter.) There really isn't anything in the context that I think is all that helpful. It does sound like a promise is being made contingent upon obedience to a commandment.
It was likely a general principle that yes--if an ancient Israelite honored his parents it would go well with him. It would likely affect the way his kids treated him in his golden years, as well. I've heard it said you can't tell a good Jew by looking at him and his kids...you look at his grandkids. If you teach your kids well, they teach their kids....

Of course, we're not ancient Israelites living under the Law.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,130 times
Honor means,
to bear the weight of.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Honor means,
to bear the weight of.
The meaning of the word "honor" aside, what is the promise associated with honoring your parents? To me it sounds like it's that you'll have a long life.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 AM

~ The reason the meaning of 'honor' is important?

Is that, as in my case.
Parents may tend to think 'Honor' means Respect.
It does not mean respecting the decisions of one's parents.
When they are not a respectable person.

My dad who hated christians?
Tried to tell me as a christian since 24.
That I had to Respect everything decision he decided upon.

Although respecting him was an impossible task.
I did loving care for him till the end
to the best I could from the decisions he made for himself.

I loved my dad. I bore the weight of my dad.
But he was a sinner who loved and defended his sin
even to the point of sacrificing my son and I for it.

I had little respect for my dad.
But I did not cast him off.
I bore the weight of him and at the end, earned his respect.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
God interprets it.

Matthew 15:3-4

3But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

4For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

God does not change (Malachi 3:6). We are not under the Law of the Torah, but God hates sin yesterday, today, and forever the same.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Curse is any evil or injury to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity