Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:29 PM

27 posts, read 46,061 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for not having posted a new thread is several weeks. Things have been kind of topsy turvy around here a bit. I have been told that it is mandatory for me to work nights for a couple of weeks and so have been aclimatizing myself to staying up late so I don't fall asleep at work.

But here is the next thread. I hope you enjoy it and, as always, your comments are welcome...

By My Spirit

Who, or what, is the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit is not an “it.” He is the third person of the trinity. He is equal to God because He is God.

Let’s begin at the beginning, with Genesis 1:2, which says: “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”

In the beginning, the earth was void. It was not occupied. There was no life, of any kind, to be found anywhere on it, or in it. The sun wasn’t even formed, yet: “...and darkness was upon the face of the deep.”

But the Spirit of God was there. The Word says: “And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” Even before there was light from the sun, the Spirit of God was overshadowing it, preparing it to receive from God.

Genesis 6:3 “And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.”

Some believe that this statement is God limiting the age of a person to one-hundred-twenty years. I used to think this also. But, in the time of Noah, everyone, except Noah, was evil. God had a better plan for man. He gave mankind, of that time, an unmistakable warning. He gave them 120 years to repent; to make a 180 degree turn back to God. If mankind wouldn’t do it, He would remove His Spirit and destroy all life.

Noah did not strive (struggle, contend, or fight) with the Spirit. Noah was the only one who allowed, even sought, the Spirit’s guidance. Noah was a man who wanted to please God.

Nehemiah 9:20 “Thou gavest also thy good spirit to instruct them…”

When Israel was journeying in the wilderness, God gave His Spirit to instruct the people in the way they should go - both physically and spiritually. His Spirit is till with us to teach us the way we should go, if we will sincerely - from the heart - ask Him to do so.

Job 26:4 “...and whose spirit came from thee?”

Job is carrying on a conversation with Bildad. Job is referring to the workings of the Spirit. The answer, to his question, could be that God’s Spirit comes through you (if you will let Him).

Is it your spirit trying manifest spiritual things in the physical? Or are you allowing the Holy Spirit to flow through you to manifest His power in the physical?

Psalm 51:12 “Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation: and uphold me with thy free spirit.”

God gives His Spirit freely to any one who has received Jesus as Savior, and will ask for Him. The Holy Spirit will encourage and support you in the ways of God, if you allow Him to.

Psalm 143:10 “Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.”

The Spirit of God leads me into the way of uprightness (or righteousness), because I not only allow Him to, but I also ask Him to. The Holy Spirit is good! Because the scriptures say so? In part, yes, but I also know through experience. He teaches me to do my God’s will. He teaches me through the Word and experience.

Isaiah 32:13-15 “Upon the land of my people shall come up thorns and briars; yea, upon all the houses of joy in the joyous city: because the palaces shall be forsaken; the multitude of the city shall be left; the forts and towers shall be for dens for ever, a joy of wild asses, a pasture of flocks; until the spirit be poured upon us from on high, and the wilderness be a fruitful field, and the fruitful field be counted for a forest.”

Why is your wilderness not a fruitful field? Why don’t you have a forest of fruitful fields? Why are there people around you that scorn you and bring you down?

Although the “joyous city” referred to here is Jerusalem, that city could well be the one you live in as well. Why is your house of joy (church or home) not joyous, which is keeping you (all) from having a joyous city? Why do you forsake your palaces? Why are the multitudes of the city being left behind? Why is everything being left a wilderness?

Are you waiting for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit is just waiting for you to ask Him to be poured upon you. One morning as we arrived at church, my wife asked the Holy Spirit to “consume” her. Guess what? He did!!!

It’s as if professing Christians have their umbrella’s open and over their heads, because someone said it was going to rain. But the rain that is coming is that of the Holy Spirit. He wants you to put away your umbrella and allow Him to continually be poured out upon you!

Isaiah 42:1 “Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgement to the Gentiles.”

Isaiah was writing about Jesus. But God is talking about you and I - if we will only allow the Spirit to work in and through us. Think of the possibilities that before God each of us thought would be impossible??? (Matthew 19:26)

Think about it. Are you a servant of God? Are you one of His elect? God’s soul delights in you when you do His will. He places His Spirit upon you - and I. He works through us to bring judgement (Jesus) to the Gentiles (the unsaved).

Isaiah 61:1 “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek…”

Meditate on this awhile and think of how many people you know that it can apply to… Just think on it and let the Lord minister to you through it.

Zechariah 4:6 “...not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, sayeth the Lord of hosts.”

No “man” has given me authority to teach these things. And nobody is forcing me to say these words. Do I teach my own feelings, as if I put it in a journal? No, not completely. I teach on subjects given to me by the Holy Spirit. The words you are hearing (reading) are a result of the meanings of scriptures as revealed to me, through many hours of study and meditation, by the Spirit of God.

Whatever I do, I hope to always do by the leading of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes I fail, but with that failure I know my God is there to pick me up and encourage me to keep on going for Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,568,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorKevin View Post
The Holy Spirit is not an “it.” He is the third person of the trinity.
There is only one God, only one divine person. Two or more divine persons make a polytheism.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,869,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorKevin View Post
Who, or what, is the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit is not an “it.” He is the third person of the trinity. He is equal to God because He is God.
And yet the Holy Spirit will not speak of himself but to testify and thereby to glorify Jesus Christ so if you are led by the Holy Spirit, why are you speaking about the Holy Spirit as if the spotlight and glory is on Him rather than on the Son?

Quote:
Job 26:4 “...and whose spirit came from thee?”

Job is carrying on a conversation with Bildad. Job is referring to the workings of the Spirit. The answer, to his question, could be that God’s Spirit comes through you (if you will let Him).
No. Job 25:4 is essentially the same argument (Job 25:4-6) conveyed to Eliphaz by the deceiving spirit (Job 4:17-19). and then made to Job by Eliphaz (Job 15:14-16). Bildad here repeats it. So in Job 26:4, Job was responding to the deceiving spirit in Bildad by inquiring by what spirit Bildad was speaking those words in Job 25:1-6.

Quote:
Is it your spirit trying manifest spiritual things in the physical? Or are you allowing the Holy Spirit to flow through you to manifest His power in the physical?
And how do you keep the new agers out of your church? It is the same format. Khundalini, an eastern mysticsism, can boast of the same experiences.

Quote:
God gives His Spirit freely to any one who has received Jesus as Savior, and will ask for Him. The Holy Spirit will encourage and support you in the ways of God, if you allow Him to.
But the way to God is through Jesus Christ in having that personal reconciled relationship: not through the Holy Spirit because He is the Comforter, not the Mediator: the Holy Spirit is the teacher, but the words comes from the Good Shepherd ( John 16:13-14) so where do you think your focus should be? That's right, the Son. Who is the Holy Spirit in you is still pointing believers to go to? The Son: the Lord Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Are you waiting for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit is just waiting for you to ask Him to be poured upon you. One morning as we arrived at church, my wife asked the Holy Spirit to “consume” her. Guess what? He did!!!
That wasn't the Holy Spirit. Believers are warned not to believe every spirit but test them. All invitations points to Jesus Christ: those that point to the Holy Spirit and call on the name of the Holy Spirit are no longer honouring the Father as they can only honour the Father through the Son which the Holy Spirit in us is still leading us to do.

The Holy Spirit would never share in that spotlight with Jesus Christ even for a moment as He seeks to glorify the Son and bear witness of Him.

So when wayward believers address the Spirit as if He is the Mediator and call for Him to come when He is already in them is sheer hypocrisey and suffering a thief to break through.

How is it that when you look at all the so called "movement of the Spirit" that many involved would say of one movement that it is not of the Lord, but the one they are involved with is? And vice versa? All these movements of the "Spirit" have one thing in common and that they call upon the name of the Holy Spirit. Red flag anyone?

The name of Jesus is above every other name as that is the name to call upon and that is the name by which God the Father is glorified and honoured by and that is through the Son Whom scriptures decalres that the Holy Spirit will not speak of himself but testify of the Son as He would lead us to do also (John 15:26-27) so that we, toegter, can worship God the Father in spirit and in truth in exalting the name of Jesus above every other name in seeking the glory of the Son and thereby the Father as well.

Quote:
It’s as if professing Christians have their umbrella’s open and over their heads, because someone said it was going to rain. But the rain that is coming is that of the Holy Spirit. He wants you to put away your umbrella and allow Him to continually be poured out upon you!
We are sealed by the Spirit of adoption after having been filled in order for believers to be witnesses of the Son that we are saved.

Matthew 9: 17Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Quote:
Think about it. Are you a servant of God? Are you one of His elect? God’s soul delights in you when you do His will. He places His Spirit upon you - and I. He works through us to bring judgement (Jesus) to the Gentiles (the unsaved).
You think about, asking the Lord Jesus Christ for help and discernment.

How can you and your wife claim you are not preaching another spirit to receive as if you had not received the promise of the Spirit yet? 2 Corinthians 11:1-4

You say He is in you; then how can that not be seen as hypocrisey when calling for the Holy Spirit to come? 2 Corinthians 13:5 & 1 Timothy 4:1-2

How can you cast a guantlet to be an elect in this manner that was not taught that way to the early churches to seek after?

There is only one drink of the One Spirit: 1 Corinthains 12:13

There is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit as in one hope of your calling: Ephesians 4:4-6

That is why there are only one kind of invitations given in coming to God and that is through the Son: John 14:6-7 Matthew 11:25-30 John 5:39-40 John 6:35 He is the one hope of our calling. And because we have receieved the promise of the Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ, we are to rest in Him so that we can be witnesses of the Son to glroify Him: not the Holy Spirit for He seeks not to be glorified and neither would He lead us to glorify him, but the Son for that is the only way the Father is glorified and honoured by.

So are we led by the Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ... or...

...are we led by signs in chasing after other "spirits", glorifying the name of the movement of the "spirit" which is not the same thing as glorifying the Son?

The definition of the anti-christ as applied in scriptures mean: "instead of Christ".

So decide this day Whom you will serve: the Lord Jesus Christ or something else in His name? Even I needed the help of my Good Shepherd to keep me falling to serve something else in His name. To Him I give the glory as it is His name that I call on and that is exactly what the Holy Spirit in me is leading me to do in honouring the Son and thereby the Father.

John 5:22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

To everyone else reading this: keep your eyes on Jesus for we have come to our resting place so that we need not heed any other invitation nor any other calling. Let us be witnesses of the Son and not the Day of Pentecost as if it is a repeatable event in the life of a believer over and over again as if stuck in the movie: "Groundhog Day", because Jesus Christ is the Gospel: the Good News to man as it is His name that is above every other name.. even the Day of Pentecost.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,573,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
And yet the Holy Spirit will not speak of himself but to testify and thereby to glorify Jesus Christ so if you are led by the Holy Spirit, why are you speaking about the Holy Spirit as if the spotlight and glory is on Him rather than on the Son?

No. Job 25:4 is essentially the same argument...........
Enow I don't understand your objections? Pastor Kevin is preaching sound, fundamental doctrine. I agree with him about the Holy Spirit infact we Christians don't pay enough attention to Him or give Him his due.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,869,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Enow I don't understand your objections? Pastor Kevin is preaching sound, fundamental doctrine. I agree with him about the Holy Spirit infact we Christians don't pay enough attention to Him or give Him his due.
No. Sadly, he is not.

And the Holy Spirit isn't looking for any dues or attention to himself personally, but for us to be personal with the Son for that is why He is called the Bridegroom:

Reread the long post of my reply to him and ask the Lord for wisdom in how he is deviating from the faith. Look up the scriptural references in how they apply.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
we Christians
Only a false teacher would use that phrase on the 'net.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I have no clue what that means?
Who can prove himself a Christian?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
No. Sadly, he is not.

And the Holy Spirit isn't looking for any dues or attention to himself personally, but for us to be personal with the Son for that is why He is called the Bridegroom:

Reread the long post of my reply to him and ask the Lord for wisdom in how he is deviating from the faith. Look up the scriptural references in how they apply.
I see nothing He said wrong. I believe in teh trinity- 3 persons, co-equal; co-eternal, one God. We are to be personal with God-all three persons.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I see nothing He said wrong. I believe in teh trinity- 3 persons, co-equal; co-eternal, one God. We are to be personal with God-all three persons.
Then why did you not answer my post?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Who can prove himself a Christian?
I teand to give people the benefit of the doubt if they profess to be Christian that is until they open their mouth and nothing that sounds remotely close to Christian comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity