Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 AM

164 posts, read 490,649 times

Advertisements

Isaiah 11.1 "And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:"

I live in a pecan orchard where most of the trees are at least 80 years old. One of the varieties the original owners of the land planted was called a "moneymaker". This pecan is round, has a good flavor and a hard shell..It is a tough nut to crack by hand. Since 1962, when we moved on this place, we have gathered hundreds of pounds of these delicious nuts, and the trees have given up some to the squirrels and birds.

One of my moneymaker trees was huge...about four feet in diameter, and usually produced over 200 pounds of pecans. Then, one year, it was struck by lightning, and one side of it begin to die. It took a few years for the top to fall out and the limbs to fall from the damaged side. Finally, there was one huge limb left, yet it still continued to produce pecans. I carefully watched that limb as it slowly separated from what was left of the trunk of the tree. One day, I was outside, and heard a loud noise...It was the one remaining limb falling from the trunk of the tree.

Sadly, I watched as the old tree gave a quiver, and shuddered as it gave up the ghost. After a few weeks, I got my chainsaw and begin to clean up the fallen tree. I burned all the debris, and thought of all the pecans that had fallen from that good old tree. My thoughts went back to the day it was planted in hope by someone else, it was carefully nutured, and then I imagined the joy of the previous owner when it produced it's first pecans. It was over now, the life of the tree, or so it seemed.

About three years ago, after Mama died, I noticed some green shoots coming up in the vicinity of where the moneymaker tree had been. I looked closely, and could see that it was a tiny pecan tree...springing forth from the roots of that big ole tree that had fallen..New life!! I let it grow, and then there were two...side by side. I let them grow in memory of my Mama, and her twin sister. Those two trees, springing forth from the root of the old tree, are flourishing and are now 12 feet tall. The root system was already established, so the trees could grow rapidly.

This experience has reminded me of a spiritual truth. Seeds planted long ago will continue to produce fruit. People are born, they die, yet there heritage lives on. A strong root system produces a healthy tree and shows me that we must be firmly rooted in the Word of God.

That original moneymaker tree was planted, grew and became old..like us...yet its memory still lives on.

Psalm 92.14 "They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing."

walkin2e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin2e View Post
Isaiah 11.1 "And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:"

I live in a pecan orchard where most of the trees are at least 80 years old. One of the varieties the original owners of the land planted was called a "moneymaker". This pecan is round, has a good flavor and a hard shell..It is a tough nut to crack by hand. Since 1962, when we moved on this place, we have gathered hundreds of pounds of these delicious nuts, and the trees have given up some to the squirrels and birds.

One of my moneymaker trees was huge...about four feet in diameter, and usually produced over 200 pounds of pecans. Then, one year, it was struck by lightning, and one side of it begin to die. It took a few years for the top to fall out and the limbs to fall from the damaged side. Finally, there was one huge limb left, yet it still continued to produce pecans. I carefully watched that limb as it slowly separated from what was left of the trunk of the tree. One day, I was outside, and heard a loud noise...It was the one remaining limb falling from the trunk of the tree.

Sadly, I watched as the old tree gave a quiver, and shuddered as it gave up the ghost. After a few weeks, I got my chainsaw and begin to clean up the fallen tree. I burned all the debris, and thought of all the pecans that had fallen from that good old tree. My thoughts went back to the day it was planted in hope by someone else, it was carefully nutured, and then I imagined the joy of the previous owner when it produced it's first pecans. It was over now, the life of the tree, or so it seemed.

About three years ago, after Mama died, I noticed some green shoots coming up in the vicinity of where the moneymaker tree had been. I looked closely, and could see that it was a tiny pecan tree...springing forth from the roots of that big ole tree that had fallen..New life!! I let it grow, and then there were two...side by side. I let them grow in memory of my Mama, and her twin sister. Those two trees, springing forth from the root of the old tree, are flourishing and are now 12 feet tall. The root system was already established, so the trees could grow rapidly.

This experience has reminded me of a spiritual truth. Seeds planted long ago will continue to produce fruit. People are born, they die, yet there heritage lives on. A strong root system produces a healthy tree and shows me that we must be firmly rooted in the Word of God.

That original moneymaker tree was planted, grew and became old..like us...yet its memory still lives on.

Psalm 92.14 "They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing."

walkin2e
Interesting story. I actually was thinking you were going to go in the direction of the dream that King Nebuchadnezzar of ancient Babylon had that only Daniel could interpret with God's help. Basically a tree was chopped down and copper bands put around it's stump so it could sprout and then after a time the bands removed and it sprouted again and flourished. It had an immediate fulfillment, and a later fulfillment.

Daniel 4:1-37

I've actually found many uses for copper in Nursery and garden applications. I'll have to post those one day in the Gardening section.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,614 times
Default Old Pecan Trees

When I read your post about the old pecan tree, tears came to my eyes. We too have some 80-100 year old pecan trees in south Alabama that have produced and flourished all these years. We've held weddings and rocked babies and taken many family pictures under them. We have noticed the big limbs are falling more frequently now, so our children want to plant some new trees to keep the tradition going. It was in my search for Alabama pecan growers that I came upon your post. Thank you for that lovely story. I hope you don't mind if I print it to keep and read again. God Bless You.....

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks for your kind remarks....Please feel free to print and use as you see fit.

Our old trees once again came through this season...although we did have some limbs break during several storms (Fay). Last year, I had one old moneymaker tree that gave up 600 pounds of pecans...this year the old girl needed a rest, and only gave me 50 pounds.

walkin2e

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,678 times
can sprouts from pecan tree stumps produce pecans? I have 3 pecan trees that sprouted from a pecan tree stump that was cut about 3 years ago. All 3 trees are side by side. Will they produce pecans, or is there something that I must do to them to get them to bear with time?

Kathy

Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchase2 View Post
can sprouts from pecan tree stumps produce pecans? I have 3 pecan trees that sprouted from a pecan tree stump that was cut about 3 years ago. All 3 trees are side by side. Will they produce pecans, or is there something that I must do to them to get them to bear with time?

Kathy

Hey Kathy, Yes, these sprouts will make a tree, and in time, produce pecans of a variety we call "seedlings", or some call "natives"..I have a couple like that and they produce pecans..but it'll take a while...give them a little fertilizer along and along.

Irvin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity