Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

See underlined below.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me...
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

Were we a wretch before we received God's grace?

a base, despicable, or vile person

Is that Biblical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 PM

118 posts, read 177,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
See underlined below.

Is that Biblical?
Romans 3

23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Sounds like a "wretch" to me. Sin cannot dwell in the presence of God. Through Adam and Eve's sin all of humanity are born into sin. It is only through Christ that we are made perfect through the blood of Christ.

The grace of God through Christ washes away that sin, and I am now worthy to be in the presence of God. God's grace through Christ has indeed saved all who believe.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
See underlined below.

Is that Biblical?
It's interesting that you'd ask that. Although the Mormon Tabernacle Choir has made a beautiful recording of that hymn, for years and years they never sang it, and I always suspected that that word was the reason why. As a Latter-day Saint, I don't believe in the doctrine of Original Sin. I believe that each of us was born clean and pure, free from any sin whatsoever. Yes, we do sin and when we do, we distance ourselves from our Father in Heaven. But we can also repent and be forgiven of our sins. Personally, I believe He looks at us more as children who have strayed than as "wretches."

Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
June remembers that song from way back, as a child. Truly, truly, truly, all June's life, she thought the line in the song was:

"Who saved a wench like me."

June CANNOT BELIEVE that all this time she actually thought the song was referring to prostitutes!

-But thanks to the OP for the clarification/lyrics!

June: Feeling dumb. Very dumb.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Katzpur: Laughing hard. Very hard.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:50 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Well at least you thought it was "wench" and not "wrench".
A little kid mind can think some weird things based on one misheard word.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 AM

200 posts, read 252,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June remembers that song from way back, as a child. Truly, truly, truly, all June's life, she thought the line in the song was:

"Who saved a wench like me."

June CANNOT BELIEVE that all this time she actually thought the song was referring to prostitutes!

-But thanks to the OP for the clarification/lyrics!

Hopefully, June didn't sing "Bringing in the CHEESE" like Snuffy did at the top of his five-year-old lungs.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:37 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Well at least you thought it was "wench" and not "wrench".
A little kid mind can think some weird things based on one misheard word.
haha - no joke. In worship last Sunday my daughter told me Elijah (my little 3 year old adopted grandson) blurted out loudly during a soft worship song "He said Panties!!!" (I think it was King Jame's fault - "as the deer panteth for the waters").

Later my 18 year old daughter heard "Cake and ice cream" in another song but actually it was saying "I kick and I scream"

Old 05-08-2010, 04:44 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
I can remember being 7 or so and they would sing this song "Leaning on the everlasting arms" and I would ALWAYS picture a man leaning against a big rifle cabinet... It went on to say "Safe and secure from all alarms" - well - I guess so with all those guns. Made perfect sense .

Old 05-08-2010, 04:59 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
The dictionary calls a wretch a miserable, unfortunate, unhappy person,,... without Jesus in your spirit, you will be unfortunate because he is a God bearing many gifts that the world will not have..... In Revelations 3:17 Jesus is saying to the Church of Lacdiceans...``Because you say I am rich and increaced with goods and have need of nothing and knowest not that you are WREtCHED and miserable and poor and blind and naked```...... Means that people say they are rich is things and therefor they get proud and cannot recieve from heaven and get the sin of avarice, and they can not see that money can not make them happy, and unmiserable and naked like Adam sin made him naked........... In Numbers 11:17 ..Moses was having a hard time being a leader `` And if you deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee out of hand if I have found favour in your sight, and let me not see my WRETCHEDNESS``
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity