Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times

Advertisements

I posted this question on a Dodge Ram forum but have not gotten any replies so I figured I'd try here to see if on the remote chance someone might have an idea.

My truck sits a lot now but I drove it the other day. It made it fine to my destination (about 7 miles away) but on the way back really started to shimmy through the steering wheel at about 40 MPH. It felt like really out of balance tires or like my old biased ply tires did when cold years ago. Now, my tires are a little out of balance and there is a shimmy at 53 to 55 mph due to stick on wheel weights that have come off, but at this speed it was new. It actually continued to shake and shimmy as I slowed down as well.

I took my hands off the wheel and the truck would still track straight with the same slight veering towrds the right it's had for a bit. It's time to rotate my tires as the right front wears a little more then the rest. Truck has a leveling kit.

I rolled down the window and there were no weird noises.

When I parked it I checked the lug nuts and all were tight. But the left front wheel was HOT TO THE TOUCH around the hub and the lug nuts.

So I got back in it and put it in 4 wheel drive. Went right in. Drove it in a circle to make sure it was really engaged, it was. Went back into 2WD no problem.

Turned the wheel while looking at the tire and any linkage and everything moved correctly the instant the wheel was turned so nothing is loose.

So I'm looking for ideas on what to check next. I'm going to remove the tires this weekend and put back on the stock street tires which I know are balanced well and still practically brand new. Though I suspect it's something in the left front.

I'm guessing wheel bearings or breaks. truck only has 60000 on it but I'm sure the 35's don't exactly help things along. I guess to check the wheel bearings I give the tire a wiggle while its up in the air and see if there is any looseness in the hub? Any other tricks to it? I have heard the RAM's have thin (weak) rotors that tend to warp and cause a shake but I would think that would be while actually applying the breaks?

Any ideas. 07 RAM 1500 4X4.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I would:

Make sure the tire pressure is correct
Check to make sure there is no mud or debris on the inside of the rims that is throwing it out of balance
Check for a bent rim or tire separation or any tire out of round
Balance the tires. If wheel weights are missing, it is probably needs the wheels balanced.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 AM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
Look up dodge death wobble. There is tons of info out there on it.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
It's not death wobble, don't worry. And it's not Dodge only, all large cars like trucks have it.

Anyway. Key is, "truck sits a lot". betcha daddy didn't tell you to put tires off loading jacks underneath, when car sits a lot? As you know what happens? Tires develop flat spots. Boom, and here goes your shimmy.

My grandpa used to have proper height wooden blocks that he had underneath his car, when stowed for winter. Was about 20 minute job to jack/place block under/lower for all 4 corners. But was well worth it. Tires should not be loaded when not moved for extended time.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
After the basic checks for tire pressure and wheel balance, and a shake-down for anything that may be obviously worn out (sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, etc) or loose fasteners ...

the symptom may have been caused by the front track rod worn at the end joints. common problem on these Dodge 4x4's, and easily fixed by replacing the assembly with a new one.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 40,879 times
I have a 2007 ram 1500. I just got a 6 inch rough country suspension lift put on and 35in tires. I have a shaking that happens at around 70. But it is not all the time. It comes and goes. I just took it in and had everything checked out and the along with the tires and rims rebalanced. And still can't find the problem. Has anyone had this problem?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 PM

Totally different suspension but I had a problem on an old 79 bronco after installing a 4" suspension lift. I installed a drop down track arm bracket (came with lift) so the axle would be centered under the truck as those old coil sprung straight axles would shift as the truck was raised. That truck would shake pretty badly. Turns out the added leverage from the increased height caused the axle (truck actually) to swing side to side after hitting a bump at speed. Turns out the 4" drop bracket just wasn't designed to mount sturdy enough for the extra leverage, especially combined with older rubber bushing still in use in other parts of the suspension. I finally removed the bracket and the shimmy went away. I just lived with the truck having a slightly off center front axle.

My point is that, even though these are totally different vehicles, the added height from the lift could be using the added leverage to "amplify" an underlying problem. There are a couple of third generation RAM forums that have lots of good information regarding these trucks. Ask in one of those forums to see if there is something common with a lifted RAM 1/2 ton and specifically inquire about the 06 to 08 version. The 03 to 05's have a different suspension then the 06 through 08's which actually use struts. Perhaps something isn't tightened down enough, but you had that checked it seems. Perhaps some bushings in the older suspension parts being used are slightly worn. Loose lug nuts? Unbalanced tires as some oversized tires are difficult to balance. My old swampers in another life couldn't be balanced. But it sounds like you had all that double checked. Does it only happen on certain surfaces and did you get aggressive mud terrains? Those kind of treads can come with their own added quirks. Is it more of a vibration or a shake? A vibration could point to a drveshaft U joint as sometimes the change in angle can cause a vibration, especially if one is getting a little worn anyways. Again, as far as it coming and going, is it a vibration under load that goes away with less of a load or while coasting? If so, it could be a driveshaft U-joint. Also, since that has struts and CV joints in the frt axle could a CV joint be starting to go out? Again something that may have been that way for a while but is now more noticeable with the lift.

I posted the original question on here and it turned out to be a sticking caliper. I changed that side caliper and rotor then a week later the problem started again. Turns out the other side caliper started sticking in that time frame. Perhaps that is a problem with those year Rams? Perhaps it is something similar in your case which is just starting to go bad and the added height is just making it more noticeable.

Just throwing out some posibilities but definately check on those Ram forums and see if there is a common issue with that brand lift on that year Dodge.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:05 PM

13,236 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quick way to figure it out is to have someone sit in front of the truck while another moves the wheel back and forth look for front end parts that have slop in them. It's easier to do this while running using power steering but also more risk if someone drops into drive and runs the other guy over, so I always suggest doing it without the engine running unless like my jeep it's lifted enough I can see the parts without being right in front of the jeep. Also check the ball joints easy to do jack up the front end put a bar 5-8 feet under each wheel and lift up see any slop in the ball joints. I would start with that then move to the wheel bearings, and tires can cause that too. Usually its at all speeds when you said at 40 mph that points me to front end parts.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Back to my original post in which it turned out to be a sticking caliper. well that has been a while now after both front calipers were replaced and now my left rear caliper is sticking. i guess it's time to do the rears. In all my years of driving assorted beaters and decent shaped vehicles as well I have never had a sticking caliper. This will make 3 now on my Ram. With oversized tires I expect to go through brakes quicker but not calipers? oh well. It will at least give me an excuse to fix the broken stud from when I originally got tires mounted and I guess the idiot went crazy with the impact.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 27,838 times
I just baught a new 2017 ram 1500, and I can feel the truck shaking when driving, more so at Hwy speeds. Took it back to the dealership they balanced my tires and said the vibration is gone, but I can still feel it when I'm driving. Any thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram