Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oof Dad had an old bronco hard soft top with a 289. I can't believe he sold it. I'm looking at the 4 door jeeps but sticker shock.

You're not kidding. You can pick up a HUMVEE H1 for less than a 4 door jeep. I looked at a jeep rubicon unlimited. Used and the guy still wanted 40k for it. No thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,695,644 times
Boy with all this Wrangler talk, sure miss my 95YJ and 99TJ.

One day I swear I'll own another Jeep but it won't be newer than a 2006. IMO the JK is just to big.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You're not kidding. You can pick up a HUMVEE H1 for less than a 4 door jeep. I looked at a jeep rubicon unlimited. Used and the guy still wanted 40k for it. No thanks
A Rubicon is a very special rig, because it has Dana 44 axles instead of the standard 35 rear, and 30 front (bigger ring gear and axles) and come with electric lockers I think. The transfer case is also equipped with a 4:1 gears set for a low crawl ratio. A 4" long arm lift kit with 35" tires and off to the Rubicon, Johnson Valley, or Moab. It is a capable rig for a little money. If I admitted how much is in my jeep you'd think I'm nut with no AC.
I find it interesting people buy these that have no clue what they are except a cool name.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Jeep Wranglers are the most capable off-road production vehicle bar none. They can do places and do things you wouldn't dare attempt in your 4Runner even while drunk on home made corn whiskey. !
I actually don't doubt that in the most extreme conditions, the Jeep would outperform just about anything else.
I do doubt these circumstances come up very much.
Even in Colorado, I see more AWD vehicles (Subaru, etc) than Jeeps.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,544 times
The formula to the Wrangler being good off road is it is light, small and has solid axles for better articulation. The XJ Cherokee and ZJ Gran Cherokee were pretty similar off road to the Wranglers that were made when they were.

The XJ Cherokee was about the same weight, but a bit heavier in the front. Also, the XJ has the transfer case higher off the ground.

Even modified, there's very little difference.

I think people just like the rugged, drop top, small vehicle. I'd buy one for going off road, but they are just too expensive and there's nothing they can do that my Cherokee can't do.

The Wrangler is the last good one left. There's nothing special about the Grand Cherokee or (the complete disgrace) Cherokee that we have for sale today. Independent suspension and super heavy.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
See if your AWD can do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6UjzJPUTSE

Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I actually don't doubt that in the most extreme conditions, the Jeep would outperform just about anything else.
I do doubt these circumstances come up very much.
Even in Colorado, I see more AWD vehicles (Subaru, etc) than Jeeps.
Well, then you haven't really seen such conditions and you wouldn't know. For most people, no, they seldom, if ever drive a 4WD under such conditions. That said, I know people that use 4WD vehicles under extreme conditions every day. What 4WD's like the Wrangler Rubicon offer is the ability to tackle very difficult conditions in a vehicle small enough to be maneuverable on narrow and very winding trails. As far as 4WD ability goes, the 3/4 ton 4WD pickup that I drive for my work will outwork and outperform a Wrangler five times over--BUT, it physically won't fit on a lot of trails. That's where vehicles like the Wrangler come in.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post

The Wrangler is the last good one left. There's nothing special about the Grand Cherokee or (the complete disgrace) Cherokee that we have for sale today. Independent suspension and super heavy.
Two 30 something sisters that grew up down the road both bought new Cherokee's last year... they wanted new cars... on had a Lexus 470 and the other a F150... both 4wd.

Jeep had an attractive offer... they had not so good credit and were still able to buy new jeeps...

One will never go off road and the other only when she visits her brother 7 miles off grid on a dirt road in the Santa Cruz mountains...

They both bought for the cool factor and readily admit it.

One was a lease and she said the high resale favored into a great lease deal.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Boy with all this Wrangler talk, sure miss my 95YJ and 99TJ.

One day I swear I'll own another Jeep but it won't be newer than a 2006. IMO the JK is just to big.
You and I think alike! Now I'm thinking about getting rid of my 5.9 limited GC and getting a wrangler again for my winter vehicle

Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
A Rubicon is a very special rig, because it has Dana 44 axles instead of the standard 35 rear, and 30 front (bigger ring gear and axles) and come with electric lockers I think. The transfer case is also equipped with a 4:1 gears set for a low crawl ratio. A 4" long arm lift kit with 35" tires and off to the Rubicon, Johnson Valley, or Moab. It is a capable rig for a little money. If I admitted how much is in my jeep you'd think I'm nut with no AC.
I find it interesting people buy these that have no clue what they are except a cool name.
I know what a jeep rubicon unlimited is ha ha. That's why I was looking for one. But the shape that one was in for the asking price wasn't worth it. Hell it had almost 120 k miles. The guy beat on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram