Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:35 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times

Advertisements

I have access to the Chrysler/Dodge/Ram employee discount program. I am researching Ram trucks and I am trying to determine if there would be any benefits to getting one of the Ecodiesels over a traditional gasoline engine. Most of the articles I have read say that diesel isn't really worth it in the long run (despite the higher fuel economy) due to the higher upfront costs and higher maintenance costs throughout the life of the vehicle. What do these higher maintenance costs entail?

At this point I don't plan on towing much beyond the odd U-Haul trailer. The purpose of the truck would primarily be to haul stuff around in the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I have access to the Chrysler/Dodge/Ram employee discount program. I am researching Ram trucks and I am trying to determine if there would be any benefits to getting one of the Ecodiesels over a traditional gasoline engine. Most of the articles I have read say that diesel isn't really worth it in the long run (despite the higher fuel economy) due to the higher upfront costs and higher maintenance costs throughout the life of the vehicle. What do these higher maintenance costs entail?

At this point I don't plan on towing much beyond the odd U-Haul trailer. The purpose of the truck would primarily be to haul stuff around in the bed.
Are you sure the discount includes the new Diseal?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:46 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

given your planned use, the gasoline powered truck is the better choice.

the disparity in cost per gallon at the pump to buy diesel fuel will not be offset by it's hauling ability or fuel mileage for you in view of the higher acquisition cost for the diesel engine.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Are you sure the discount includes the new Diseal?
NO, but if it isn't, that would make my choice easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
given your planned use, the gasoline powered truck is the better choice.

the disparity in cost per gallon at the pump to buy diesel fuel will not be offset by it's hauling ability or fuel mileage for you in view of the higher acquisition cost for the diesel engine.
That makes sense.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:11 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
When you buy a diesel it does cost more upfront but that value does not evaporate.

When you sell it it will be worth more than the gasoline version.

The other question is what is the cost of diesel in your area? If it is near gasoline it could make sense.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Diesel is about $.40 more than gas around here right now.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:12 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I would probably get the diesel if you plan to hang on to it. Assuming the 1500 diesel isn't a fluke like the Liberty diesel, a properly cared for 1500 will hold their value a long time.

13 year old 2500 Cummins in good condition with high miles sell for $15-$20k. These trucks were probably 25-30k new.

See John the Diesel Man - Cummins, Used Dodge Diesel Trucks for Sale in New York

Old 03-18-2015, 03:17 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
I disagree with this statement..I have seldom ever seen that to be true. Most will assume you bought a Diesel for heavy towing and thats hard on everything with exception of the Radio Hahaha 2ndly Very FEW Americans know how to care for a Diesel and I would sure be VERY skeptical of buying a used diesel from most of you.. Diesel fuel right now is running 40-70 cents a gallon more than gas. That means your average fill up could cost you $20 more for a diesel engine . The cost per mile Gas v Diesel puts "most" gas engines ahead of diesels. Oil changes on diesels cost more as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
When you buy a diesel it does cost more upfront but that value does not evaporate.

When you sell it it will be worth more than the gasoline version.

The other question is what is the cost of diesel in your area? If it is near gasoline it could make sense.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:07 PM

57 posts, read 88,092 times
I have the eco diesel in the jeep grand cherokee. On the highway in California doing 75 mph we can average 30-32 over 200 miles. Dropping down to 70 gets us another 2-3 mpg. Around town life time average is 22.5. My wife has a heavy foot and she does short trips Which hurts the mileage a little. The only problem is u might get a check engine light from time to time. It's just realated to all the after treatment stuff for emissions. I had a bmw 335d(diesel) and had the same problems with the dpf filter plugging and check engine lights. We have 15k on the jeep and 1 oil change so far. I believe it's 150ish But we got 3 free oil changes thrown in. I believe the price between the diesel and the hemi is 1500k. The only other expenses is the def which is 15-18 dollars for 2.5 gallons. I say if u like the diesel than I would purchase it. A hemi is what 15mpg around town. Any more ? Give me a shout.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Why would the oil change cost so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram