Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 PM

652 posts, read 682,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Huh? Anything that causes a short in the electrical system has the potential to cause a fire, he's contradicting himself, either that or he doesn't know much about electrical systems and doesn't know what a short is. I'd look elsewhere for assistance.
Yeah, my friend and I been calling around for shops that would do electrical work. Most of them just wanna remove the bad section of wires and put in a new piece of wire with butt connectors. Of course, I don't want it done that way. I would prefer to have the bad wires completely removed from the beginning to the end. Then, put in a whole new wire. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind having a aftermarket wiring harness done. I got one shop so far that would do that for around $1,200. I wouldn't mind paying that just because I plan on keeping my truck for many years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Well, I took my truck to a shop to fix those burned wires. They called me and says that the wires are fixed and that I'll be charged for an hour of labor which will be a little over $100. I'm crossing my fingers and hope they did it right. Preferably, not cutting out sections of bad wires and replacing them with a new one and use butt connectors. I definitely learned my lesson that something simple as installing a switch and LED light can turn into a disaster. I better leave it up to someone who knows a thing or 2 about electrical. Anyways, I look forward to getting my truck back and go for drive on some back roads this weekend

Old 09-16-2016, 07:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
Well, I took my truck to a shop to fix those burned wires. They called me and says that the wires are fixed and that I'll be charged for an hour of labor which will be a little over $100. I'm crossing my fingers and hope they did it right. Preferably, not cutting out sections of bad wires and replacing them with a new one and use butt connectors. I definitely learned my lesson that something simple as installing a switch and LED light can turn into a disaster. I better leave it up to someone who knows a thing or 2 about electrical. Anyways, I look forward to getting my truck back and go for drive on some back roads this weekend
I wish you luck but butt connectors crimped in and all replacement wire one color is very likely what you got.

That's OK to get you back on the road, but, I would say you need to get a good factory harness from a junkyard, figure out how to put it in.

I have personally never seen satisfactory wiring done on a vehicle by a shop. In Europe you see "automotive electrician" shops, here you are stuck with a guy trained as a mechanic, who does not really know wiring and has neither the correct tools nor inclination to do the job the way I would do it.

You need to get yourself a factory service manual for that truck and start collecting tools. You need to do as much of the work yourself as you can, both for cost and quality reasons.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I wish you luck but butt connectors crimped in and all replacement wire one color is very likely what you got.

That's OK to get you back on the road, but, I would say you need to get a good factory harness from a junkyard, figure out how to put it in.

I have personally never seen satisfactory wiring done on a vehicle by a shop. In Europe you see "automotive electrician" shops, here you are stuck with a guy trained as a mechanic, who does not really know wiring and has neither the correct tools nor inclination to do the job the way I would do it.

You need to get yourself a factory service manual for that truck and start collecting tools. You need to do as much of the work yourself as you can, both for cost and quality reasons.
You're right, they replaced the wire and used butt connectors. Unfortunately, thats not the way I would do it. Oh well, they got me back on the road again. Some day, I'm gonna have someone rewire my truck even if it cost me an arm and a leg. I plan on keeping my truck for many years to come and I hope to pass it down to my kids if I ever have any. Yeah, I'm gonna try to find a factory service manual for my truck. I've been seeing them on ebay for $20 or so.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:46 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
You're right, they replaced the wire and used butt connectors. Unfortunately, thats not the way I would do it. Oh well, they got me back on the road again. Some day, I'm gonna have someone rewire my truck even if it cost me an arm and a leg. I plan on keeping my truck for many years to come and I hope to pass it down to my kids if I ever have any. Yeah, I'm gonna try to find a factory service manual for my truck. I've been seeing them on ebay for $20 or so.
Go look in a mirror. That guy in the mirror is the only guy on earth who will take the time and effort to rewire your truck right.

You should be able to get a used but undamaged harness from a yard. Taking it out of the donor truck will be an education in itself.

If you plan to keep the truck long-term, a factory manual, not just a Chilton or Haynes, and a good collection of tools are not just nice to have, they are mandatory.

Craftsman tools sold new at Sears are not what they were. Go buy real US made Craftsman tools at pawn shops and etc. While you can still find them there. If you find some Snap-Ons, buy them too, same with MAC, all the pro brands. Find out who runs the tool trucks locally, become a customer. You will need some special tools from time to time, the professional wrenches for example in odd shapes or with thin jaws will make some jobs a lot easier.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Go look in a mirror. That guy in the mirror is the only guy on earth who will take the time and effort to rewire your truck right.

You should be able to get a used but undamaged harness from a yard. Taking it out of the donor truck will be an education in itself.

If you plan to keep the truck long-term, a factory manual, not just a Chilton or Haynes, and a good collection of tools are not just nice to have, they are mandatory.

Craftsman tools sold new at Sears are not what they were. Go buy real US made Craftsman tools at pawn shops and etc. While you can still find them there. If you find some Snap-Ons, buy them too, same with MAC, all the pro brands. Find out who runs the tool trucks locally, become a customer. You will need some special tools from time to time, the professional wrenches for example in odd shapes or with thin jaws will make some jobs a lot easier.
I'm afraid you might be wrong about finding a used but, undamaged harness from a yard. There was an 82 dodge ram in my local yard and people already trashed it. Anyways, I already have a Haynes manual. I was told that Chilton is better and so I plan on grabbing that too. I I wanna get the factory manual as well. I have a nice craftsman universal tool set even though its been well used by now. I need to get some more deep sockets at some point. Right now, I'm just getting by with like 8 deep sockets and they're made by Stanley. It would be nice if I actually had a shop with concrete floor and I had all my tools organized on the walls and in tool boxes. Unfortunately, its just a dream and I don't see it coming true anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram