Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Just wanted everyone’s thoughts.

What are your thoughts? You obviously found the story interesting, or else you wouldnt have posted it.

My thoughs? Everybody involved in this incident is an idiot. The Hellcat driver for going 160, The cop for doing 150 trying to catch him, and the semi for being in the wrong lane holding up traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
There is no way the cop should have come anywhere near 150 on a highway in this situation and time frame. He is just as dangerous as the fool in the Hellcat. Those speeds are far beyond what every other driver is used to and could have caused an accident. Get on the radio and send out for other officers to slow him down.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:50 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm more curious what type of cruiser the officer was driving to hit 150MPH? A Charger? twin turbo Taurus?
Indiana State Police drive Chargers. Not sure if there's any Crown Vics there anymore.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Indiana State Police drive Chargers. Not sure if there's any Crown Vics there anymore.
Chrysler plant somewhere around Indianapolis there

Old 03-23-2018, 11:55 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
It cannot possibly be safe for an Explorer to do 150.
There's the Ford Taurus PI (Sedan) and the Ford Explorer (Utility). The performance on both of these cars are pretty much the same, but the Taurus is slightly faster. Taurus's can do 150, but definitely not safe regardless what LE drives.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:35 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
It cannot possibly be safe for an Explorer to do 150.
PI = Police Interceptor = Taurus
PU = Police Utility = Explorer.

Agreed - hard to imagine an Explorer being safe at those speeds.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:06 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
There's the Ford Taurus PI (Sedan) and the Ford Explorer (Utility). The performance on both of these cars are pretty much the same, but the Taurus is slightly faster. Taurus's can do 150, but definitely not safe regardless what LE drives.
As with the civilian Taurus (SHO) and 3.5 EB powered Explorer, there's actually a significant performance difference between the PI and PU, mainly because the PU is 400 lbs heavier. Both of the police versions offer less performance than their civilian equivalents due to additional weight. Source: Michigan State Police

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...L_606385_7.pdf

Police Interceptor

0-60: 5.68
0-100: 13.65
Top Speed: 149
1/4 mile: 14.14@102.38
Lap Time (Grattan Raceway) :135.22
60-0: 141.8 ft

Police Utility
0-60: 6.3
0-100: 15.59
Top Speed: 132
1/4 mile: 14.75@97.36
Lap Time (Grattan Raceway): 1:37.72
60-0: 136.2 ft

Interestingly, the Ford Police Utility turned lap times close to that of some variants of the Charger, so its a pretty good handling SUV.

5.7 Charger AWD: 1:36:42
5.7 Charger RWD: 1:37:39

For 2018, MSP also tested something called a Ford Police Responder - basically an F150 crew cab 4X4 powered by the same twin turbo 3.5 V6 in the PI and PU. It was completely destroyed on the road course. It's Grattan lap time was over 10 seconds slower than the Taurus and 7 seconds slower than the Chevy Tahoe.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:30 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
The impromptu Vanishing Point remake came to an abrupt end a few minutes (and eleven miles) later when the driver got blocked by two side-by-side semi-trucks,
That was no accident.
I retired as a trucker and state police departments talked to us all the time. I have been witness or participant in three different cases of dangerous drivers being slowed down or trapped as the result of a request (via CB) from the police.

Everyone likes to believe that Truckers and cops are enemies, but my experience is, if there is any way to give the trucker a break, the state police will. I once got 'parked' for eight hours, but no paperwork was issued. I hadn't had quite enough sleep the night before, and the NY state police left me 'on my honor' to sit it out.
I showed 'em though........... I left 1 minute early.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:38 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I guess we are supposed to provide the thoughts and comments.

Mine? What a jerk. He put so many lives in danger by driving like an idiot. Did he think he was going to outrun the radio?
Throw the book at him I say and teach him a lesson. Luckily no one as injured or killed this time.

If I can take a page from the anti gunners book. Why does anyone need a car that can go that fast? We need to have common sense high horsepower car laws. That car should be banned. We need to have waiting periods, back ground checks and close the car dealer loop holes. Cars that were designed for the race track have no place in the hands of a civilian on our streets. Car owners like that don't need such a powerful car to get from point A to B they can do the same with a single shot Prius and if they can't then they shouldn't be driving....

Seriously though it had nothing to do with the car but everything to do with that dangerous driver.
Looking forward to self driving cars. Hoping for no more speeding, red light running, passing on the right, constant lane shifting, shoulder driving, texting and swerving, drunk driving, and jerks.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:26 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Quote:
The impromptu Vanishing Point remake came to an abrupt end a few minutes (and eleven miles) later when the driver got blocked by two side-by-side semi-trucks, at which point Eggert was able to catch up and pull over 38-year-old J. Jesus Duran Sandoval.
That was no accident.
I retired as a trucker and state police departments talked to us all the time. I have been witness or participant in three different cases of dangerous drivers being slowed down or trapped as the result of a request (via CB) from the police.

Everyone likes to believe that Truckers and cops are enemies, but my experience is, if there is any way to give the trucker a break, the state police will. I once got 'parked' for eight hours, but no paperwork was issued. I hadn't had quite enough sleep the night before, and the NY state police left me 'on my honor' to sit it out.
I showed 'em though........... I left 1 minute early.
That was my immediate thought also. And I was puzzled why the article and/or the police didn't give credit to the truckers for helping them apprehend Sandoval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram