Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 12:48 AM

414 posts, read 296,439 times

Advertisements

On a 2016 High Altitude (basically an Overland), I don't see any obviously connection points for hooking up a tow rope or chain in case it gets stuck in deep sand. Since the stress can be quite high in pulling the thing out of axle-deep holes, I don't want to risk pulling the frame right out. Never thought to look when purchased, but I assumed any off-road vehicle like this would have at least a pair of the thick hooks (for lack of a better term) under the bumpers, but this does not.

Our beach access areas get really soft when hot and dry, and it is not uncommon to dig yourself right down to the frame if you lose momentum. Then someone else with more purpose-built tires will come along and drag you out of the deep hole you dug yourself into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 07:33 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,713,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
On a 2016 High Altitude (basically an Overland), I don't see any obviously connection points for hooking up a tow rope or chain in case it gets stuck in deep sand. Since the stress can be quite high in pulling the thing out of axle-deep holes, I don't want to risk pulling the frame right out. Never thought to look when purchased, but I assumed any off-road vehicle like this would have at least a pair of the thick hooks (for lack of a better term) under the bumpers, but this does not.

Our beach access areas get really soft when hot and dry, and it is not uncommon to dig yourself right down to the frame if you lose momentum. Then someone else with more purpose-built tires will come along and drag you out of the deep hole you dug yourself into.
If you're driving in sand, get the tow hooks. I have them on my Limited just in case, and outside those hooks, there aren't a whole lot of places to hook a cable other than the axle. That would make me nervous. If you have the air suspension, you can raise it up if you dig yourself in and need the clearance.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
If you're driving in sand, get the tow hooks. I have them on my Limited just in case, and outside those hooks, there aren't a whole lot of places to hook a cable other than the axle. That would make me nervous. If you have the air suspension, you can raise it up if you dig yourself in and need the clearance.

Was that a dealer option or aftermarket?

Old 06-03-2018, 07:48 PM

24,457 posts, read 25,991,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
Was that a dealer option or aftermarket?
Take a look at this thread.

2016 Grand Cherokee Overland High Altitude - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 PM

Good thread, thanks Motormaker. I won't be cutting anything. I can catch fish fairly well, but body modifications are not my strong suite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram