Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM

575 posts, read 1,371,494 times

Advertisements

This comment in the Los Angeles section made me laugh. Never knew anyone in LA considered Cincinnati "normal."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-afford-2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Well ... it's not abnormal ... LOL ...

Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM

279 posts, read 718,004 times
Somebody made a comment in there saying many stay in LA, packed in houses to lower everyones rent, skipping meals, just to stay there. Another responding and said they'd rather do that over living in many midwest rust belt cities...

Weird. I guess I just don't know cuz I've never been to LA and didn't grow up there, but why in the f*ck would you want to live in an overpopulated shlthole, living like shlt, "just to be there"? I only call it a shlthole cuz if thats what it takes to live there, fits the definition to me. I have a modest (okay, small) salary, but I can live in a nice house, pay my mortgage, elec/gas bill, water bill, insurance, prop tax, have nice meals out here and there, see a movie here and there, sports games, play in sports, etc etc and still save money. WTF is wrong with people that they would want to live somewhere that costs so much you have to live with 8 nasty motherf*ckers and barely eat.

Hmm, sorry, I may have been ranting. By the way, I'm sure LA is lovely to visit.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post

Weird. I guess I just don't know cuz I've never been to LA and didn't grow up there, but why in the f*ck would you want to live in an overpopulated shlthole, living like shlt, "just to be there"? I only call it a shlthole cuz if thats what it takes to live there, fits the definition to me. I have a modest (okay, small) salary, but I can live in a nice house, pay my mortgage, elec/gas bill, water bill, insurance, prop tax, have nice meals out here and there, see a movie here and there, sports games, play in sports, etc etc and still save money. WTF is wrong with people that they would want to live somewhere that costs so much you have to live with 8 nasty motherf*ckers and barely eat.
Ocean/beach, mountains, and weather.

Oh, maybe they also want to break into show business.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Somebody made a comment in there saying many stay in LA, packed in houses to lower everyones rent, skipping meals, just to stay there. Another responding and said they'd rather do that over living in many midwest rust belt cities...

Hmm, sorry, I may have been ranting. By the way, I'm sure LA is lovely to visit.
Tubby, you are so right. Why would a person want to live in LA unless you could enjoy it. That takes a lot of cash. $250,000 house? You will be 45 minutes from work and none of your neighbors will speak English. $900,000? More like it.

And, LA is nice to visit. A room at a downtown hotel, get a limo and cruise the prostitutes on Sunset (but don't slow down to talk, just look), take a day trip up to Santa Barbara stopping at Malibu on the way for lunch. Get the consierge to get you into a decent restaurant or a club. Visit Venice Beach, take a Studio City tour. Try to get a flight out early enough so you are going to the airport by 6AM and call it a day.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Compared to LA it is as normal as Apple Pie.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Ocean/beach, mountains, and weather.

Oh, maybe they also want to break into show business.
Eh, I still don't get that for the first part. Okay so they have salty waves they can stand in from time to time. I guess I'd do that rather than sleeping on the pissy couch with my 9th roommate Tim. How can you even enjoy the ocean, mountains, and weather if you're broke as shlt and hungry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Tubby, you are so right. Why would a person want to live in LA unless you could enjoy it. That take a lot of cash. $250,000 house? you will be 45 minutes from work and none of your neighbors will speak English. $900,000? More like it.

And, LA is nice to visit. A room at a downtown hotel, get a limo and cruise the prostitutes on Sunset (but don't slow down to talk, just look, take a daytrip up to Santa Barbara stopping at Malibu on the way for lunch. Get the consierge to get you into a decent restaurant or a club. Try to get a flight out early enough so you are going to the airport by 6AM and call it a day.
Haha yep, I hear you. That same 250K here will have you living purdy damn good.

I definitely will visit LA someday. Your itinerary seems like a good start. I guess LA just doesn't appeal to me all that much. NYC however beckoned to me, and it was one of the best 5 days I've ever spent on vacation. Not that living there would be any better...talking strictly of visiting.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM

269 posts, read 778,947 times
Quote:

Sounds exactly like NYC. I have friends I grew up with in CT and college buddies who are living just like that: four, five, six, even eight deep in shabby apartments, no ac, exposed pipes, etc, just to live in NYC (granted they are living in Manhattan). I do know one who female who lives by herself in Brooklyn in a decent aparment, but she pratically lives on fruits, Ramen noodles, and water. I tell them how cheap it is to live in Cincinnati, and I hear things like "yeah, but you're in Cincinnati" or another buddy of mine said, "Why in the hell did you choose to live in 'rust belt ass' Cincinnati."

A lot of people on the coasts have very negative and ignorant perceptions of Cincinnati and the midwest as a whole.

With that being said, if money were no object, I would live in NYC in a heartbeat, but I can live like a king here in Cincinnnati without taking a hit to the pocket and save at the same time.

And FWIW, even if I had the money to live in LA, I would not live there. I visited once, didn't really care for the place and the fake, plastic people there. LA is too sprawled out for my tastes and I also like having four seasons.

I lived south of the Mason-Dixon briefly, Charleston, S.C. to be exact and never again. That has to be one of the most overrated places in the U.S. (along with Orlando). I like all the history Charleston has though, and the architecture.

Last edited by high mileage; 07-13-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
What I like about Cincinnati most is that it is democratic, or egalitarian, whichever. Meaning that if you want to go to the best restaurant in Cincinnati or join a country club or get tickets to a big show, for the most part you can without being a VIP. If you have the dough to go to Jags or whatever the latest hot spot is, you can go even if during the daytime you pass cereal boxes and canned goods past a scanner at a grocery store. If you got the dough, you can go. Try that in New York.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
Sounds exactly like NYC. I have friends I grew up with in CT and college buddies who are living just like that: four, five, six, even eight deep in shabby apartments, no ac, exposed pipes, etc, just to live in NYC (granted they are living in Manhattan). I do know one who female who lives by herself in Brooklyn in a decent aparment, but she pratically lives on fruits, Ramen noodles, and water. I tell them how cheap it is to live in Cincinnati, and I hear things like "yeah, but you're in Cincinnati" or another buddy of mine said, "Why in the hell did you choose to live in 'rust belt ass' Cincinnati."

A lot of people on the coasts have very negative and ignorant perceptions of Cincinnati and the midwest as a whole.

With that being said, if money were no object, I would live in NYC in a heartbeat, but I can live like a king here in Cincinnnati without taking a hit to the pocket and save at the same time.

And FWIW, even if I had the money to live in LA, I would not live there. I visited once, didn't really care for the place and the fake, plastic people there. LA is too sprawled out for my tastes and I also like having four seasons.

I lived south of the Mason-Dixon briefly, Charleston, S.C. to be exact and never again. That has to be one of the most overrated places in the U.S. (along with Orlando). I like all the history Charleston has though, and the architecture.
Jeez that sounds horrible. I can't imagine living with 3-8 other people just to be in Manhattan. In fact, I would rather be a bum living in Central Park. Oh well, more power to em if that floats there boat. I'll just stay in crappy old Cincinnati and live the good life while they eat Ramen noodles, go to expensive clubs, never get chicks cuz they can't buy them $15 martinis, and if they do, they bang em on a old matress next to their roommates. Woot, but it's Manhattan baby!

I loved Charleston too, amazing history and awesome architecture, but I sure as hell would never live there. That's just me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati