Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:08 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildview View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it and it's actually in Middletown but I saw this while browsing real estate and I was very intrigued.
The Sorg Mansion was built by a German immigrant to Cincinnati named Paul Sorg. He got his start in the tobacco business, but eventually got into railroads, paper manufacture, and banking. It was not uncommon for industrialists of the time to charter their own banks...I guess it made it easier to get financing!

The house is 35 rooms, and at least according to this video, the Sorg family abandoned the house by the first decade of the 1900s. The video gives you a good look at what's inside this place...

Sorg Mansion in Middletown, Ohio - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM

59 posts, read 111,594 times
There are several mansions(?) in Glendale. At least they are mansions in my eyes. One in particular is on Fountain between Rt. 4 and 747. It gives me goose bumps to look at it.

I remember a few years ago there was a TV show that had remodelers (DIYer's) compete for a house on the western side of the city and that it was an historic house. Four groups were given a room each to remodel and the team that did the best job won the house. (The house had been for sale, but no one wanted to buy it.) It seems to me that the remodels did not keep to historic preservation. Does anyone else remember this?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $honey View Post
There are several mansions(?) in Glendale. At least they are mansions in my eyes. One in particular is on Fountain between Rt. 4 and 747. It gives me goose bumps to look at it.

I remember a few years ago there was a TV show that had remodelers (DIYer's) compete for a house on the western side of the city and that it was an historic house. Four groups were given a room each to remodel and the team that did the best job won the house. (The house had been for sale, but no one wanted to buy it.) It seems to me that the remodels did not keep to historic preservation. Does anyone else remember this?
Glendale is full of fabulous houses. It was a bucolic setting for wealthy Cincinnatians to live and escape the soot and grime of the city in the mid to late 19th century. Since it was situated on the rail line, it was a relatively easy commute from Glendale to downtown. There are several grand homes on E. Fountain that bear the names of prominent Cincinnati families like Grandin and Probasco.

If memory serves, there are three rather large homes on the section of W. Fountain that you are referring to. One is an impressive stone Gothic Revival that was built around 1860. About a year ago, it showed up on the internet as an REO property with an estimated price of $250,000. I'm not sure what ever happened with that.

The other significant house, a large, white structure with a tower, on W. Fountain I believe was built for one of the members of the Procter family. It's been for sale for years. I toured it several years ago and was kind of bummed out by what I found. The house has been the victim of numerous insensitive expansions over the years, and it has a bizarre, meandering floor plan. It's sort of difficult to even figure out what the original house looked like. Either way, the place needs a massive restoration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati