Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 AM

8 posts, read 33,343 times

Advertisements

This has been done with both Montgomery Road and Reading Road in the past on this board. Anyone want to help with what Hamilton Avenue looked like in the early 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
My recollections of Hamilton Ave. must include Shuller's Wigwam restaurant at Hamilton and North Bend roads. During my formulative years we had relatives who lived in College Hill and Shuller's was the place we would go for a fine meal.

I also recall what I believe was named Loretta's Deli on Hamilton Ave. in College Hill, though it may pre-date 1970. Does anyone remember this business? They did a terrific job at catering.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
The Loretta's Deli which is fondly remembered by the Goyguy Sr's and only vaguely recalled by me was on Reading Rd in (North) Avondale, right at the top of the long hill on Paddock Rd. There may have been more than one.
What I remember most about Hamilton Ave in that era was the Hollywood Cinema! It was just about the closest place to catch a flick in the years between the Vogue in Hartwell and the cineplexes in Tri-County/Fairfield. They (eventually there were two theaters) were at 5716 Hamilton, right at the corner of Cedar Ave.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM

I could be wrong about Loretta's, but I don't think so. My 1st cousin onced removed had a very nice house on Lanius Lane off Hill Crest off Hamilton. They would thow some hellacious News Years Eve Parties. And I remember Loretta's was always their caterer of choice. My 2nd cousin and I would always grab one of the cabagge heads which where coated with large cocktail shrimp on skewers so it looked like a shrimp ball. While the adults were doing their thing, we would retire to his bedroom with the TV, a shrimp ball and a bowl of cocktail sauce. There had to be 7 to 10 dozen large cocktail shrimp on that cabbage. We would just pig out. I just remember those parties and Loretta's being mentioned as the caterer.

I also remember one time, while I was still in college at UC, when my 2nd cousin called and asked You want to go to New York with me? I responded why. He responded Dad is having a party to introduce a business associate from South America, you are all invited, and he wants a first class dessert. So we have tickets on a plane to New York, take a cab downtown and back, and go to Lindy's for their cheesecakes. Frankly, that may have been the most excessive trip in my life. Fly to New York to pick up a dozen or so cheesecakes from Lindy's and fly back.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 AM

Some of my memories of Hamilton Ave. center around the Hamilton North highrise condos in the late 1960s and 1970s. My Inlaws moved into there after selling their home in Indian Hill. At first they felt relieved at no exterior maintenance responsibilities. But they soon decided it was like being cooped up in a hotel, sold out and moved to Cape Coral Florida to a nice home on a canal. My second relative who moved there was a different case. They loved to travel and did so extensively worldwide, so just locking the door and leaving was a big deal to them. They stayed in the Hammond North quite a few years before finally opting for a retirement facility with more personal services.

My most personal remembrance of the Hammond North was in 1968. My father-in-law was hungry so we went to the closest White Castle, got a big sack of sliders and fries, and sat down to watch football. This happened to be the infamous Heidi Game between the New York Jets and the Oakland Raiders. With Oakland staging a big comeback, NBC switched to the Heidi made-for-TV movie with 65 seconds remaining in the game. Since the Raiders rallied to win the game in a fantastic finish, this ranks as one of the all-time TV blunders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati