Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM

112 posts, read 152,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Thanks! The lesson from this video is that if you live near the city there is really no traffic. I am always amazed when I drive back from a meeting in Mason or West Chester that there are secondary streets where traffic is congested to the point that one can sit through several cycles of traffic signals. These are not expressways that are overloaded and that would be alleviated by trains along the Xway route. These are neighborhood service roads. I am specifically referring to streets like Northland Blvd., Union Center, Mason Montgomery Road, etc.

I simply would not tolerate it. I'd move.
That's not really so surprising. While Cincinnati is a bit different because of its geography, in older urban areas there's more of a grid (or better to say an interconnected network) of streets that allow many alternative routes to and from the same locations. Out in the suburbs the layout is more dendritic, where residential streets feed into collectors, the collectors feed into arterial streets, and the arterial streets feed into major arteries that feed into the interstates. This forces traffic onto those major roads, leading to excessive congestion, while the residential streets are woefully underutilized.

Also, with higher density in the city of both residents and jobs, even if everyone drives the distances are still quite a bit smaller, so people's trips don't overlap as much with those of other people, leading to less traffic. Of course, it's also important to remember that most of the roads in the city were widened, had their lanes striped, parking restrictions put in place, and overall traffic patterns optimized in the 1950s and 60s when Cincinnati had 500,000 people. With most suburbanites using the interstates, Columbia Parkway, or River Road to get to downtown, the local street network is doubly relieved of a lot of that traffic and also the reduced traffic from population loss.

That said, Cincinnati can still be tough to get around if you're not following the normal routes. Relatively short drives like going from Hyde Park to Northside, or Clifton to West Price Hill, or Mt. Washington to Pleasant Ridge can be indirect and require dealing with a painful number of traffic signals. Even some suburban trips are quite roundabout, like try getting a direct trip from Eastgate to Kenwood, or Mariemont to Northgate. Those can all be interesting drives when done infrequently, but damn they'd be a pain to do regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 PM

45 posts, read 94,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider
have to check myself too because I was trying to track down the car I heard it from (driving crazy to catch it) they must've turned before I could catch up.
And pray tell what would you have done if you HAD caught it? Catch a bullet?
Btw, if youre diving crazy in my neigborhood ( I live off of Robb near the library now) knock it off.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM

350 posts, read 880,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hargrave View Post
And pray tell what would you have done if you HAD caught it? Catch a bullet?
Btw, if youre diving crazy in my neigborhood ( I live off of Robb near the library now) knock it off.
It's pretty hard to drive crazy there on Robb with all of the stop signs and the Cheviot Polizei* everywhere. Dude, I'm over 40, crazy to me is drinking coffee, driving, and listening to the radio at the same time!

Oh yeah, Bullet Schmullet.

*only PD on the west side to watch for outside of Addyston.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 AM

45 posts, read 94,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
It's pretty hard to drive crazy there on Robb with all of the stop signs and the Cheviot Polizei* everywhere. Dude, I'm over 40, crazy to me is drinking coffee, driving, and listening to the radio at the same time!

Oh yeah, Bullet Schmullet.

*only PD on the west side to watch for outside of Addyston.
You would be surprised at some of the stuff I've seen at that corner or contractors hauling the mail out the back of the Home Depot. Makes your jaw drop.
I was less concerned about the Cheviot PD and more concerned about the looney screaming at strangers in traffic. If they are already amped up and someone pushes the wrong buttons ie. chasing them down in traffic.. could lead to some bad things.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Wilson, What was the point of your first video. OK so not much traffic, you drive a Benz, you don't stop at every stop sign. What are really trying to tell us?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb KJ, You Are Absolutely Correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
From everything you all are saying, it just emphasizes we are a nation of people without manners, whether it be driving a car, standing in line at the grocery store, etc.

Yesterday, I was at my local Kroger and a very nice elderly lady was in front of me in a checkout line. Now when I say elderly, you have to consider I am 71 myself. She was checking out her purchases and taking her own good natured time at it. The cashier said to me, they are Otterbein People. For you uninitiated, Otterbein is a retirement community to the West of Lebanon at the intersection of Ohio 63 and 741. Friday is the day their bus brings them to Kroger to do their weekly shopping. Obviously these are the ones fit enough to be in an independent living environement.

While this little old lady was desiring to give hugs to the cashier, myself, and anyone else within reach, since it is the highlight of her week, I am hearing murmurs from futher back in the line let's get going, what are you doing up there?, if you want to sleep go home and go to bed! Very little of it was complimentary.

I am an old man, but when I hear this kind of talk, particularly in a Kroger in Mason, Ohio I become incensed. I probably cannot hold up my end of a physical encounter, but I will go down in flames trying. Unless we develop a little more understanding of our fellow man, we are doomed.
First off, you have my unending respect, because I was taught to both respect AND value my elders...

Secondly, I'm going to expound on something else you said---Captain-style!

We live in a world of superficial, self-absorbed, materialistic a**-clowns, kinda like the one who yelled at Cincy-Rider...they're always in a hurry to get abso-bleepin'-lutely nowhere, then have the nerve to glare at you or mutter something derogatory under their breath because you don't have rockets mounted on your a** like they do...

And you probably see them every day---they're the ones texting, bluetoothing, shaving, putting on makeup, everything but having sex in their cars, tooling along at 55mph in a 65mph zone, all the while chattering on a bluetooth about how Mike slurped jello shots off Cindy's stomach, or trying to show what a bada**/diva they are by telling someone off in a loud tone of voice over their phone/Blackberry

That sweet elderly lady at your Krogers probably raised kids and grandkids, packed countless lunches, did mom/grandmom stuff, up until she couldn't 'do' anymore, and she now lives somewhere like Otterbein...which to me , has earned her a little extra measure of my patience as I stand in line behind her, and I would gladly give her a hug and send her away happy---and then turn around and dare the first a**-clown mouthing off in line to say anything besides 'boo'...

You're right---we absolutely do need to learn understanding...and SOME of us need to slow our monkey a**es down, and shut up, and quit thinking that we own the road, or that EVERYBODY wants to hear your allegedly private conversations in public, or that 'It's all about me'---actually, it's NOT...

KJ, I'm sorry if I came off a little heated, or if I 'hijacked' your gentle, well-thought post, but as everyone here knows, I have NO PATIENCE AT ALL with people who carry on like those I described, and I make no apologies for my attitude in that regard

Last edited by captaincatfish; 12-14-2010 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: LOL...grammar cleanup

Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Wilson, What was the point of your first video. OK so not much traffic, you drive a Benz, you don't stop at every stop sign. What are really trying to tell us?
I forgot from our last exchange that English is not your first language:

Not many cars at rush hour if you live close to the City.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM

279 posts, read 717,836 times
This thread reminded me of the scene in "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" when they're in line at a toll booth and the change doesn't get accepted or something...so this fat dude in a huge SUV is yelling and it cracks me up...

"Move you f*ckin tw@t!!!!!!!!"

Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
This thread reminded me of the scene in "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" when they're in line at a toll booth and the change doesn't get accepted or something...so this fat dude in a huge SUV is yelling and it cracks me up...

"Move you f*ckin tw@t!!!!!!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ccNPELLIk

Old 12-14-2010, 03:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
\

That type of response may be titallating, even vaguely amusing. But when it becomes even close to normal behavior it is no longer in that genre but just plain sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati