Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 AM

52 posts, read 92,438 times

Advertisements

Is it the norm in the area for patients of a particular doctor's office to pay admin fees to cover things such as letters, forms, etc? I just received a letter from my primary care stating that if I don't pay them $50/indiv or $95/family by 3/31, then we can't go there any more. (I wonder how much it cost them to mail the letter to everyone..) Also, the pediatricians office is charging a yearly form fee of $25 per child. AHHH!!! Is this a regional thing or did I just pick the wrong offices? I never had to pay a fee like this in CT. The allergist here doesn't charge a fee like this and we are there almost every week for shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue60 View Post
Is it the norm in the area for patients of a particular doctor's office to pay admin fees to cover things such as letters, forms, etc? I just received a letter from my primary care stating that if I don't pay them $50/indiv or $95/family by 3/31, then we can't go there any more. (I wonder how much it cost them to mail the letter to everyone..) Also, the pediatricians office is charging a yearly form fee of $25 per child. AHHH!!! Is this a regional thing or did I just pick the wrong offices? I never had to pay a fee like this in CT. The allergist here doesn't charge a fee like this and we are there almost every week for shots.
I suspect this practice is creeping in all around the country. My family's PCP recently affiliated with Christ Hospital (excuse me, THE Christ Hospital), and we received a similar letter recently. In our case the fee isn't mandatory, though. We were given a choice of paying an annual fee to cover various administrative expenses, or paying for them individually on a scheduled basis. Since it's unlikely we'll incur any of the fees, there's no extra cost to us. You might ask whether a similar arrangement is possible with your doctor.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Seems to be the future.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Just sounds like an extra scam to me, though I am sure it is escalating. As the various healthcare bills take aim at the exorbitant rates for services, they have to create something to make up the difference. In my opinion, tell them to kiss off I will go elsewhere.

That being said, since both my wife and I are at the Medicare Age, I have something to say about that. Whenever we have some medical situation, I get a statement from CMS indicating what the medical provider submitted a claim for, what Medicare approved and paid, and what amount they have forwarded to our supplement insurance for payment. So far we have not encountered a substantial bill for which we are liable. But this still sticks in my craw, when I see the amount billed by the medical service, whatever it is, versus what Medicare OKs, I cannot help but think here is an income tax evasion. The amount they bill versus what Medicare OKs would be written off as a loss. So over the course of an average year they will hae enough losses to offset their income, tax liability - zero.

We need to close these loopholes to provide the medical services we are entitled to. When you factor in the Medicaid Services for the poor, you have a real donnybrook. If there was ever a license to steal, this is it.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times
Who says we don't need an overhaul in the healthcare system in this country? Those fees are ridiculous. You know what patients should do? They should start charging the doctor a fee for every minute past the appointment time that they are made to wait, whether in the waiting room or after you get into the examination room. If the doctor doesn't want to knock it off your bill, or pay YOUR waiting fee, then tell them you're going to find another doctor who cares more about their patients' time.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Who says we don't need an overhaul in the healthcare system in this country? Those fees are ridiculous. You know what patients should do? They should start charging the doctor a fee for every minute past the appointment time that they are made to wait, whether in the waiting room or after you get into the examination room. If the doctor doesn't want to knock it off your bill, or pay YOUR waiting fee, then tell them you're going to find another doctor who cares more about their patients' time.
I may get frustrated waiting for the doctor, but I remember at least one time that I took longer with the doctor than was expected when I scheduled the appointment. When I explained my need to see the doctor, the scheduler put me in for the normal time for those symptoms. When I actually met with the doctor, he determined that there were some things that didn't quite seem right and started examining further. Needless to say, what was scheduled for a 15 minute visit with the doctor turned into my spending over 2 hours there for lab work and results and more tests, etc. The doctor was in and out during this time, but always came back in to determine the next step. What appeared to be a common symptom for one medical condition turned out to be a very rare symptom for coronary artery disease. A trip to a cardiologist, a couple of stents, and a little recovery time, and I felt much better.

While I value my time considerably, it is not more valuable than anyone''s life. I know that if my doctor spent that much time with me, he will spend the time with other patients if the need arises, and that throws schedules off. There is no way I would ever consider billing a doctor for the time I spend waiting to see him. I just plan that it could take longer than expected, find a good book or magazine, and relax. It's much healthier.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM

For a while when I lived in Lexington I was the patient of a PCP who prided himself on keeping his appointments running almost perfectly on schedule. He was probably the worst doctor I ever had, which is saying something. Remember, half those med school graduates are "below average."

Those of you who're throwing around this rhetoric about "They'll run their practice MY WAY and if they don't, I'll find another doctor" have apparently not learned to value being in the practice of a good one, the way I have. That doesn't mean I'll put up with anything, but on balance putting up with something like administrative fees that you're soon going to find everywhere may be a battle you should choose not to fight.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I may get frustrated waiting for the doctor, but I remember at least one time that I took longer with the doctor than was expected when I scheduled the appointment. When I explained my need to see the doctor, the scheduler put me in for the normal time for those symptoms. When I actually met with the doctor, he determined that there were some things that didn't quite seem right and started examining further. Needless to say, what was scheduled for a 15 minute visit with the doctor turned into my spending over 2 hours there for lab work and results and more tests, etc. The doctor was in and out during this time, but always came back in to determine the next step. What appeared to be a common symptom for one medical condition turned out to be a very rare symptom for coronary artery disease. A trip to a cardiologist, a couple of stents, and a little recovery time, and I felt much better.

While I value my time considerably, it is not more valuable than anyone''s life. I know that if my doctor spent that much time with me, he will spend the time with other patients if the need arises, and that throws schedules off. There is no way I would ever consider billing a doctor for the time I spend waiting to see him. I just plan that it could take longer than expected, find a good book or magazine, and relax. It's much healthier.
Okay, you have a valid point regarding the waiting time to see the doctor. I concede on that point and stand corrected. But let me ask you something....how much does the doctor really care about you if you can't pay the administration fee and says "Don't come back", yet you still need to see the doctor?

I suppose I have a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to healthcare fees. I know doctors have to make a living, too...I get that. But there are people in this country who don't have health insurance and have no money to pay for a doctor, yet they still need medical care. When they can't pay for it, they let things go. I had to go to an emergency room a couple of years back, and couldn't afford it. I had no insurance and no way of paying. I TOLD them that upfront. There words at such times are "don't think about that right now, let's just get you better". Next thing I knew I was being released and told I had to pay $200 before I could leave. I didn't have it. My mom had to put it on her credit card, and then after that I still got a doctor's bill that I could not pay. He ended up sending me to a collection agency. So I'm sorry, but it burns me up to hear them talk about things such as "administration fees" to cover paperwork, etc. Not everyone in this country is made out of money. I have things that need to be taken care of with me right now, and I can't have it done because I can't afford it.

I guess you and others are lucky to have a doctor that cares. I mean no personal offense to you in saying that, because I think that's great, I really do. Cherish that, because not everyone is so fortunate.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
For a while when I lived in Lexington I was the patient of a PCP who prided himself on keeping his appointments running almost perfectly on schedule. He was probably the worst doctor I ever had, which is saying something. Remember, half those med school graduates are "below average."

Those of you who're throwing around this rhetoric about "They'll run their practice MY WAY and if they don't, I'll find another doctor" have apparently not learned to value being in the practice of a good one, the way I have. That doesn't mean I'll put up with anything, but on balance putting up with something like administrative fees that you're soon going to find everywhere may be a battle you should choose not to fight.
AMEN, Sarah! The first doctor we had upon arriving in OH had a good "bedside manner' but the friggin' drug salesmen were more plentiful than the staff. Our wait times got longer. I finally left him after I cooled my hels in his exam room while he conversed with a sales rep... My current doc puts up with all the baloney that comes with my CDL with a smile, so I can't beat that!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
AMEN, Sarah! The first doctor we had upon arriving in OH had a good "bedside manner' but the friggin' drug salesmen were more plentiful than the staff. Our wait times got longer. I finally left him after I cooled my hels in his exam room while he conversed with a sales rep... My current doc puts up with all the baloney that comes with my CDL with a smile, so I can't beat that!
Oh, that reminds me. Drug sales people are almost never seen around my doctor's office (hope that doesn't change now). And I've been in the waiting room when they just apparently dropped in and had the pleasure of seeing the receptionist send them packing. Watch that sometime and you'll see a whole waiting room full of sick people grinning and chuckling: "Don't let the door bang you in the butt on your way out, bozo."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati