Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 7,483 times

Advertisements

I know city-data sees its share of people wanting information about neighborhoods, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, so I hope someone will have some insights!

I'm a 21 year old white female and I am considering a job in Cincinnati so I've started looking at neighborhoods and apartments. I am from Dayton (Beavercreek, specifically) so it's a little embarrassing that I don't know more about the Cincinnati neighborhoods.

The company's office is located in Columbia-Tusculum and at first glance it looks like a pretty nice neighborhood with only a small amount of crime. Is this accurate? It will be my first time living alone so safety is very important to me. I've also looked some at Hyde Park, East Walnut Hills, and Oakley. What can anyone say about the safety of these areas? Also, if these are not safe can you recommend a neighborhood that would be better? My price range would be around $700-800/month but I could go higher if necessary. As far as a commute, I would IDEALLY want to be in a 10-15 minute range from the office, but wouldn't rule out something a little farther.

Other than safety, I'd like somewhere reasonably close to restaurants and shopping and somewhere where I could meet people my age, but safety is the most important issue to me.

As a final thought, can anyone speak about the costs of utilities in the area? I know some of the buildings are older and I want to get a feel for what to budget for a 1-2 bedroom apartment.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
You will be perfectly fine in any of those areas. From a social standpoint, I would recommend Oakley or Hyde Park over C-T.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Mt. Lookout -- a quick zip up Delta Avenue from Columbia-Tusculum -- would be another possibility for you. No idea what rentals cost these days, though. Good luck to you.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 PM

405 posts, read 891,505 times
Hyde Park would be perfect. Its safe and very close to Columbia Tusculum. Look for an apartment around the square.

I wouldn't recommend Oakley or East Walnut Hills these days for your situation.

If you want to live in Columbia Tusculum I would recommend living as far up the hill as possible. Avoid the area near the river in the flat section.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Columbia Tusculum is a very nice yuppie neighborhood with very low crime. Just look north of 50 (columbia parkway). Streets like Hoge, Strafer, Stanley, Tusculum and the side streets in between are all nice and safe. South of 50, Morris and Donham are nice streets. In a way, you may want to be closer to 50 because of the proximity to a couple of bars and coffee shops.

I think finding something very nice and safe within walking distance to work is very realistic. This would offer a fantastic quality of life.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:03 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
I would recommend Mt. Lookout(lots of apartments on Delta), O'Bryonville (off of Torrence) or Hyde Park (the eastern side) if you like to go out a lot and want to be close to where the action is. If you are more interested in having an absolutely safe walkable neighborhood that is beautiful and green with parks but you don't mind having neighbors that are mostly families and a few retirees I would suggest you look at Mariemont. Mariemont is about a 5-7 minute drive from C-T and it exemplifies safe and walkable. There are a few nice restaurants (Dilly Deli is my favorite) and some shops, but nothing particularly interesting for most 20somethings as far as social scene. Again, it depends on what you want.

When I was writing my dissertation I needed more peace and quiet than I could get in my previous apartments in O-Bryonvillle and Hyde Park so I rented the upstairs of a house in Madison Place very close to the Mariemont border. When my car died I was able to really take my time getting a new one because I was able to take care of all my errands on foot or on a bike. Occasionally, I would find myself walking through Mariemont late at night. Not only did I feel completely safe, but I could generally count on a Mariemont police officer stopping to ask me if everything was ok.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:05 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
I wouldn't recommend Oakley or East Walnut Hills these days for your situation.

What? Are you kidding???? Why don't you spend some time in Oakley and ask one of the hundreds of single, young women running or walking their dogs, day or night what they think of living there? My wife loves Oakley and has a hard time imagining living anyplace else in terms of safety and walkability. Most parts of Hyde Park can't match Oakley for the sheer number of things within walking distance of one another. I can't believe there is even a debate about whether Oakley is good in this case!

I do agree...EWH is a neighborhood that while I would live in most parts of it without hesitation, it's not a place for the uninitiated.

And for the OP, Oakley is less than 10 minutes by car from C-T.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
What? Are you kidding???? Why don't you spend some time in Oakley.
I'm not trying to diss anyone's neighborhood. I am talking about what some single women have told me and what we have experienced. In the last year there has been a downward tilt in parts of Oakley is the idea.

There have been several armed robberies especially of lone women getting in and out of their car. This is exactly what the OP was concerned about. There were at least 3, for example, at Biggs.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
I'm not trying to diss anyone's neighborhood. I am talking about what some single women have told me and what we have experienced. In the last year there has been a downward tilt in parts of Oakley is the idea.

There have been several armed robberies especially of lone women getting in and out of their car. This is exactly what the OP was concerned about. There were at least 3, for example, at Biggs.
well you certainly covered the armed robbery at bigg's; Murder in Oakley, armed robberies in Hyde Park plaza

i wasn't aware of at least two others.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
well you certainly covered the armed robbery at bigg's; Murder in Oakley, armed robberies in Hyde Park plaza

i wasn't aware of at least two others.
I'm not sure what you're saying. All of these incidents were in the press. I assume you aren't qustioning that the robbery of the woman leaving Biggs happened, and the murder down the street from Biggs.

Heres one in November where a dirtball beat up a woman withdrawing cash from the Hyde Park Plaza PNC bank:

Police dog tracks down Oakley robbery suspect, allegedly roughed up woman at bank

There were other incidents but each of the two aggravated robberies above were targeted at single women. Wasn't it the point of the OP to avoid that at all costs? Why does that upset people?

Shouldn't she know the facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati