Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,616 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I could provide so much fodder for the board this fine day! Sorry, but I've been to Cali, Boston and NYC, and while they're awesome places to visit I don't want my kids looking (piercings & tats), talking like them, and having their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

Give me strong, hard-working, conservative Midwestern beliefs for my kids. Cincinnati is perfect for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The geography means nothing.
Geography means everything. Compare the plight of Northern Europe with Southern Europe. Who works hard, and why? Too cold to play all day for much of the year in Germany, Norway and Holland.....but not so much in Italy and Greece.

Each geographic area has defining traits, and I widely concede that areas which I look down upon in general, such as California and NYC, have its own cultural norms that result in certain traits that result in world renowned people. Modern-day California with all its "liberal do whatever you want to do" philosophy produces free thinkers that have done wonders in high tech fields. NYC and Boston cultural ways of thinking produce great lawyers, bankers, and academics.

Midwesterners with our closeness to the farm and more recently in the 1900's manufacturing, produce hard workers. Physcially and mentally tough, god-fearing people. This is the environment I've chosen to raise my kids in. Obviously, it's not for everyone.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Midwesterners with our closeness to the farm and more recently in the 1900's manufacturing, produce hard workers. Physcially and mentally tough, god-fearing people. This is the environment I've chosen to raise my kids in. Obviously, it's not for everyone.
I will stick with you. Slow and steady is my motto.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That may or may not be - but is he wrong? Not from where I am sitting - one a sister linving in Michigan, another living in Maryland, a daughter living in Columbus, another in Maryland. All four were raised in Cincinnati.

Sometimes I wonder why I am still here.
I dunno--maybe it's really Bridgetown that's the real problem? (Now that place I can understand...sort of like Columbus with hills)

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Now that place I can understand...sort of like Columbus with hills
Careful, lest you invoke C-bus guardian angel.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I will stick with you. Slow and steady is my motto.
Two of my favorite movies are All The Right Moves and The Deer Hunter.....both take place in Western PA (where I've never lived---and I've never had a family worker work for a steel company), but they exemplify the single-minded, tough determination that I greatly admire. Tough, bad arse people that don't put on airs....they are what they are. Guys you'd want to go to war with....strong, loyal, god fearing. I just don't get that vibe from people from Cali, Boston and NYC. They'd rather talk about their money and their European vacations.....I work with these people....and I despise them.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Careful, lest you invoke C-bus guardian angel.
I hear you loud & clear, and I'm already on the run...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I'm glad I could provide so much fodder for the board this fine day! Sorry, but I've been to Cali, Boston and NYC, and while they're awesome places to visit I don't want my kids looking (piercings & tats), talking like them, and having their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

Give me strong, hard-working, conservative Midwestern beliefs for my kids. Cincinnati is perfect for that.
Well, the largest tattoo convention in the US is in Cincinnati this year.
We are dead in the middle (25th) of states where the residents consider religion important. And the entire midwest, every state, went for Obama in '08 (although the republican party has warped what it means to be conservative and a genuinely conservative individual could make a perfectly rational argument for voting democrat).

I agree that the attitude and grounding of people is one of the greatest assets of the region.
I suspect that if you forged deeper relationships with people in boston or wherever, that you would find very few differences between yourselves.

Last edited by progmac; 04-26-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 AM

364 posts, read 715,546 times
Forbes.... I always take their "rankings" with a grain of salt. They lost what little credibility they had in the article when mentioning Youngstown, OH as one of the best cities in America to raise children.

And flashes1, you sound really ignorant right now with all your generalizations. I've met the same people you "despise" here in Cincy, Maryland, Philly, New Orleans, and NYC; they are everywhere. It has more to do with class distinctions rather than regional differences.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Well, the largest tattoo convention in the US is in Cincinnati this year.
We are dead in the middle (25th) of states where the residents consider religion important. And the entire midwest, every state, went for Obama in '08 (although the republican party has warped what it means to be conservative and a genuinely conservative individual could make a perfectly rational argument for voting democrat).

Can't argue with midwesterners being grounded, hard-working, humble, and friendly in a way that few others are. Certainly this is something I love about here. But this whole business about no tattoos and religion being our backbone, i just don't buy that. Maybe it is for you and your family, and your town, and that is great, but i don't see it as a regional phenomenon
Few things: Southwest Ohio is widely considered one of the most politically conservative regions in the U.S. and the Midwest is considered one of the most politically conservative areas outside of the South. Just stating the obvious.

Religion: rank the states by level of religiousness all you want. I know both anecdotally and from what I've read, that the Midwest is much more religious than the coastal areas. Just stating the obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati