Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 14,063 times

Advertisements

As an alternative to Christmas gifts, my wife and I (both 40) have agreed to each arrange a nice dinner out over the next couple weekends. We live in Mason and dine out frequently...our favorites include Embers, Carlo & Johnny, Germano's, Silver Spring House to name a few. My wife already told me that she picked Nicola's for her restaurant, which is great since we've never been. For my pick I'm also looking down towards Over the Rhine to either Senate or A Tavola. I'd like to have some fun bars to go after dinner and thought this would be a good fit. Something with a loungy feel or some live music. Nothing too loud or packed with college kids. My questions (and I appreciate any responses) are:

1. Can I get a taxi easily in Over the Rhine to take us back to Mason (yeah, I know it's expensive but I want to enjoy plenty of drinks and have no intention of driving)

2. Does my Over the Rhine plan sound good or are there better spots for dinner and nightlife (Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, etc.). Mason certainly is the land of the living dead after 10:00, so that's clearly not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
Over the Rhine is a good place for what you have in mind. You will love Nicola's. As far as nearby bars, I may be off base, but I think Arnold's, the Drinkery, and maybe MOTR would fit the bill and they are right down the street from Nicola's. You will have no trouble getting a cab back to Mason, but a hotel downtown might be more fun if you don't need to be back home for kids or pets or anything.

I would also recommend the Precinct on Delta in Columbia-Tusculum. The food is similar to Carlo and Johnny's, but I like the atmosphere a lot better. You could catch a cab downtown or stay local as well, although there are many fewer options when compared to downtown.

Some other nice places downtown I enjoy are John Robert's table, Via Vite, Boi na braza (sp?), and Palomino.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
I agree with the idea forget the cab ride back to Mason. Book a room in a hotel and take a cab to wherever you are going downtown. Spend the night in the hotel, have a good breakfast, then drive back home to Mason. You might even make it a double night with a day in between to roam around downtown, the Banks, etc. Sounds good to me.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:19 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS1002 View Post
My wife already told me that she picked Nicola's for her restaurant, which is great since we've never been. For my pick I'm also looking down towards Over the Rhine to either Senate or A Tavola. I'd like to have some fun bars to go after dinner and thought this would be a good fit. Something with a loungy feel or some live music.
You guys are off to a great start.

In OTR, in addition to other reccomendations:

Mr Pitifuls - Nothing more lounge like than this jewel.

Mr. Pitiful's - Over-the-Rhine & Pendleton - Cincinnati, OH 45202 | Metromix Cincinnati

Japps - Affordable mixology.

Japp's - Over-the-Rhine & Pendleton - Cincinnati, OH 45202 | Metromix Cincinnati

The Lackman

Lackman Bar | Cincinnati | Rock Bar

Neons

Neons Unplugged - Over-the-Rhine & Pendleton - Cincinnati, OH 45202 | Metromix Cincinnati

And for a ecclectic crowd a short walk from Nicolas

Milton's

Milton's Tavern

All the places I recommended I frequent. I left off MOTR pub even though I go there because it's a loud rock bar. My list is not exhausitve and there a lot of cool places to be found. Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,204 times
I recommend Nicola's. It is a very nice restaurant. My suggestion to you is if you really want to have a nice night on the town, place on staying overnight. Not too long ago I treated my wife to dinner at the Palace and a Broadway show at the Aronoff. Afterwards we hit a couple of bars and stayed overnight at the Cincinnatian, which is a very nice hotel. The next morning we at at the Palace and headed home - only 5 minutes away.

TomJones has a good list of bars to try. Check the Cincinnatian's website to see if they are running any deals or packages. I believe we had a package there that included a 1-night stay, parking, and a $50 voucher for dinner. After all is said and done, it may be more reasonable to stay overnight.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM

477 posts, read 664,427 times
Quote:
1. Can I get a taxi easily in Over the Rhine to take us back to Mason (yeah, I know it's expensive but I want to enjoy plenty of drinks and have no intention of driving)
Taxi's are quite easy to come by these days, its shockingly different than when I lived there. I was able to get one for $8 from 12th and Vine to the Covington Riverfront when I was at Midpoint this year. They tend to hang out around 12th and Vine, Main Street and downtown near fountain square. Last year they lifted the ban on being able to hail a taxi from anywhere too.

If you guys do get a hotel, Taste of Belgium is great for Brunch and its a gastropub with a Belgian flair, and I can tell you being in a big city this is a style of restuarant that's really trendy right now: Taste of Belgium

(Their chicken and waffles IMO are better than most I've had in Chicago at similar places).

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM

404 posts, read 826,452 times
We recently stayed at the Cincinnatian and the rate was v. reasonable (maybe $150?) for the weekend night and they have a first come first serve free english taxi service that runs until 8pm, maybe later? You can walk anywhere from there as well.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,075 times
you won't have any problem getting a cab back to mason. it will probably be a 60 dollar fare. i like waking up in my own bed, too.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
you won't have any problem getting a cab back to mason. it will probably be a 60 dollar fare. i like waking up in my own bed, too.
I like waking up where they are going to serve me a made to order breakfast.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Dig that. Don't know why everyone is so intent to tell the OP where to stay when they already said they wanted to catch a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati