Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 37,923 times

Advertisements

Hello All --

We need your advice on Cincinnati's Best Suburbs. My wife and I will likely be relocating from Washington, DC to the Cincinnati area within the next six months. Both of us were raised near Cleveland and are very excited with the prospect of returning to the great State of Ohio!

As for the specifics:
We are approximately 30 years old, active and social, looking to start our family immediately.
Our budget will be $200-250K
Looking for a Single-Family Home with 4 bed / 2 bath. Anything over 1900 sq ft should do.
My wife likes older homes with "Character"; I prefer newer homes that are finished and less work.
Lot size of .25 to .75 acres
We would love to live in a community that is very safe and family-friendly with excellent schools.
Town pride and events are also important to us (i.e. - festivals, parades, farmers markets, football games).
Access to restaurants, bars, shopping, etc within 10-15 minutes. Locally-owned over chain restaurants.
Commute time from Downtown – up to 35 minutes; prefer less, but anything beats DC traffic.

Please weigh-in with your guidance and opinions on the Best Suburbs in the greater Cincy area. Thank you in advance, let’s get rolling!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Among the best suburbs in terms of school rankings and relatively well-to-do residents are Wyoming, Mariemont, and Mason. You won't be able to hit your price point / bedroom desires in the first two. You might be able to squeak in a 4BR/2BA in Mason for under $250k, though I imagine just barely. Anderson Township is also nice and might be a better fit for your budget and desires.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
As another poster mentioned Anderson is a good place to start, as is specically Blue Ash (part of the great Sycamore school district, but doesn't have the high prices that nearby Montgomery has ----which is also part of the Sycamore schools). Loveland might be another good possibility----it's farther from downtown Cinti than the other two towns I mentioned, but it has a neat downtown area and is right on the Little Miami bike trail.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'll also suggest Madeira -- it doesn't have a whole lot in the way of new housing, but it's more like a real town than some of the other 'burbs and the schools are very good.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
This question has been asked before and I still feel it is very subjective, as so many things go into it. So much revolves around what you want, where will you be working and how long of a commute, style, size and cost of house. Even the further out suburbs like Mason and West Chester are within your 35 minute commute to downtown.

I advise taking the time to browse through some of the older threads on this forum and reading may others have been advised. I think you will see a pattern emerge.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM

10 posts, read 37,923 times
Thanks for your quick replies and wonderful insight. I have certainly been reading older threads, but recent events/developments are important factors (schools, budgets, new developments, property value trends, etc).

In addition to those suburbs listed thus far, can anyone speak to the situations in Miami Twp and Union Twp (Clermont County)? Are these desirable areas? Good schools? Any character? They rarely appear in the forums. I guess I'd also add Milford to this list...

Much appreciated.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Union Township is pretty solidly suburban; Miami Township has a little more of a rural flavor, but still has all the suburban features you'd want. Milford is a classic little small town that reinvents itself every couple of decades (they have a very nice police officer who didn't ticket me for doing 40 mph downtown earlier this summer ... ), but there isn't much in the way of newer housing there.

Union Township is your quickest access to downtown via 275 south into Kentucky and 471 north into downtown (it makes little sense, but it works!). Milford is probably 40-45 minutes from downtown, and Miami Township is east of Milford.

Both the West Clermont (Union Township) and Milford school districts have been pretty solid over the decades. West Clermont has two high schools, Glen Este and Amelia. Milford's middle school and high school are out in Miami Township.

Where did you live when you were in Cleveland? That might help us find -- or eliminate -- some neighborhoods for you.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Hi MMDC--

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned living on the Northern KY side of the river. There's some desirable suburbs that are less than 10 minutes from downtown Cincinnati (at worst case, 20 minutes during rush hour): Park Hills, Fort Mitchell, Fort Thomas, etc. and all of those would be well within your price range. Plus, Beechwood and Highlands (representing Fort Mitchell and Fort Thomas respectively) are excellent public schools, relatively speaking. If they don't cut the mustard there's a good selection of private schools (Covington Catholic, Notre Dame, Newport Central Catholic off the top of my head).

Here's a couple examples from Google which actually come in under your stated price point:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...804?source=web

MLS # 411042 - 320 South Grand Ave, Fort Thomas KY, 41075 | Homes.com

Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi MMDC--

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned living on the Northern KY side of the river. There's some desirable suburbs that are less than 10 minutes from downtown Cincinnati (at worst case, 20 minutes during rush hour): Park Hills, Fort Mitchell, Fort Thomas, etc. and all of those would be well within your price range. Plus, Beechwood and Highlands (representing Fort Mitchell and Fort Thomas respectively) are excellent public schools, relatively speaking. If they don't cut the mustard there's a good selection of private schools (Covington Catholic, Notre Dame, Newport Central Catholic off the top of my head).

Here's a couple examples from Google which actually come in under your stated price point:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...804?source=web

MLS # 411042 - 320 South Grand Ave, Fort Thomas KY, 41075 | Homes.com
Hey, I don't disagree. There are many areas of NKY which are quite desirable to live in and also affordable. I am one of those who happens to welcome our neighbors to the south to the Greater Cincinnati Scene, as I feel we are all in the same boat and striving to upgrade the entire Metro area.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
I must agree with both the # 8 and # 9 replies in recommending Cincinnati's upscale NKY suburbs just across the river--as already mentioned, all of them may be cited not only for their affluence, but also for their safety, schools, community spirit, and proximity to downtown.

Nevertheless, one of these suburbs may be considered one of the finest and most unique communities on either side of the river--and that's Ft. Thomas. This hilltop enclave, extending over several miles atop a ridge line opposite Cincy's Lunken Airport, comes with a refined pedigree all its own. In fact, for many years, Ft. Thomas has been one of the most sought after zipcodes in all of Kentucky. And--whether a newcomer drives up into it along Memorial Pkwy or Highland Ave, or ventures through it along Ft. Thomas Ave--any notion that NKY is some sort of country-bumpkin cousin of Cincinnati will be soon dispelled.

Indeed, Ft. Thomas may not be suited for everyone. It is older and traditional; it is insular and protected; it is elitist and snobbish; and it is not diverse. However, this NKY Mayberry on steroids can take pride in both a character and charm unrivaled except by a small number of other communities in the metro. If the OP is going to work either in or near downtown Cincinnati and yet expect all the amenities that suburbia might offer, Ft. Thomas should be at the top of the shopping list.

Last edited by motorman; 08-30-2012 at 07:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati