Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 28,625 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family includes me, my husband, and our three kids, will be aged 9, 2, and 1.... We are soon moving to either NKY (where I am from) or Cincinnati from Indianapolis. Our family is multi-ethnic (spouse is from West Africa and I am from NKY), and multi-faith (spouse and kids are Muslim, I am Christian).

We currently live in Indianapolis. I like that the cost of living is relatively low (820 for our current apartment). I like that I am within walking distance of a park and a small private college with a lot of green space. I like that there is a lot of racial diversity. There are a lot of great restaurants relatively close, and a lot to do for families, such as a zoo pretty close, the children's museum, the rhythm center, etc. I hate that the general area seems economically depressed and that the zip code has a ton of crime. I do not feel safe letting my son play outside by himself. I do not like that is far away from my family, who primarily live in Northern Kentucky.

I'm trying to get an internship at Cincinnati Children's, so somewhere within 40 minutes of the hospital would be great.

Since I will be working for another year with minimal resources, we are trying to find a rental that is under 1000 for three bedrooms, less money is more, lol.

We really want our neighborhood to be both racially diverse and safe. We can handle petty crimes, but the violence near where we live now has really affirmed that I don't want to live like that. I'd like a walkable neighborhood, close to stores/restaurants/parks/libraries, etc. Bike trails would be awesome. We would love a family neighborhood that has a lot of same age kids (toddler through school age). We'd like good schools but are open to homeschooling/charter schools/etc.

Is there anywhere like this, lol, or is it a pipe dream? I am willing to sacrifice on some of this now to save up for a time when we can afford a better living arrangement :-). We are also considering NKY but would struggle with the lack of racial diversity.

Peace,

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:09 PM

114 posts, read 228,967 times
Only have time for a quick reply but Pleasant Ridge sounds like it could be a fit for you. Relatively close to UC, lots of kids, safe, diverse, good local elementary school, walkable. Here is an example of a rental listing:

Pleasant Ridge, 3 bdr, Cozy Cottage

Surf craiglists and you'll find plenty more....

Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 PM

76 posts, read 121,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksfortheinfo View Post
We really want our neighborhood to be both racially diverse and safe.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:15 AM

114 posts, read 228,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post

Ok, not sure what the purpose of this post was other than to troll everyone and start some argument on race (which, based on your post history throughout City Data forums, is what you do for fun ).

There are obviously areas in Cincinnati that are both safe and diverse...P. Ridge is one of them.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:08 AM

610 posts, read 798,025 times
Quote:
Wow, go back to North Carolina, troll.

P Ridge is a big one, also Clifton-Gaslight would meet most of those needs.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksfortheinfo View Post
Hi,

My family includes me, my husband, and our three kids, will be aged 9, 2, and 1.... We are soon moving to either NKY (where I am from) or Cincinnati from Indianapolis. Our family is multi-ethnic (spouse is from West Africa and I am from NKY), and multi-faith (spouse and kids are Muslim, I am Christian).

We currently live in Indianapolis. I like that the cost of living is relatively low (820 for our current apartment). I like that I am within walking distance of a park and a small private college with a lot of green space. I like that there is a lot of racial diversity. There are a lot of great restaurants relatively close, and a lot to do for families, such as a zoo pretty close, the children's museum, the rhythm center, etc. I hate that the general area seems economically depressed and that the zip code has a ton of crime. I do not feel safe letting my son play outside by himself. I do not like that is far away from my family, who primarily live in Northern Kentucky.

I'm trying to get an internship at Cincinnati Children's, so somewhere within 40 minutes of the hospital would be great.

Since I will be working for another year with minimal resources, we are trying to find a rental that is under 1000 for three bedrooms, less money is more, lol.

We really want our neighborhood to be both racially diverse and safe. We can handle petty crimes, but the violence near where we live now has really affirmed that I don't want to live like that. I'd like a walkable neighborhood, close to stores/restaurants/parks/libraries, etc. Bike trails would be awesome. We would love a family neighborhood that has a lot of same age kids (toddler through school age). We'd like good schools but are open to homeschooling/charter schools/etc.

Is there anywhere like this, lol, or is it a pipe dream? I am willing to sacrifice on some of this now to save up for a time when we can afford a better living arrangement :-). We are also considering NKY but would struggle with the lack of racial diversity.

Peace,

Liz
Despite the nasty sounding troll posting above, you ARE probably asking for attributes that will be difficult to attain in your price range. Cincinnati's relatively small number of "walkable" and safe neighborhoods command pretty high prices, simply because of supply and demand. We have a large urban poor population, and the simple fact is that a lot of those people are African-American. No matter how much we may WISH for more diversity in our urban neighborhoods and recognize it as desirable, the reality is that many of the ones that meet your other criteria are not very diverse.

Although I'm hardly an expert, I cannot come up with a better fit for what you described than Pleasant Ridge, either. It has a good neighborhood elementary school. In your circumstances, though, I'd probably be looking in northern Kentucky, maybe Bellevue or Ft. Thomas. The latter has a very well regarded school system, too.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksfortheinfo
We really want our neighborhood to be both racially diverse and safe.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Despite the nasty sounding troll posting above, you ARE probably asking for attributes that will be difficult to attain in your price range. Cincinnati's relatively small number of "walkable" and safe neighborhoods command pretty high prices, simply because of supply and demand. We have a large urban poor population, and the simple fact is that a lot of those people are African-American. No matter how much we may WISH for more diversity in our urban neighborhoods and recognize it as desirable, the reality is that many of the ones that meet your other criteria are not very diverse.

Although I'm hardly an expert, I cannot come up with a better fit for what you described than Pleasant Ridge, either. It has a good neighborhood elementary school. In your circumstances, though, I'd probably be looking in northern Kentucky, maybe Bellevue or Ft. Thomas. The latter has a very well regarded school system, too.

This ^^^ is the sad state of affairs we have. It doesn't help to deny this truth. We can only make progress by admitting it. I have been flamed before for pointing out that Pleasant Ridge is populated by mostly white or mostly black folks depending on what street you are on. Not really all that "diverse" as out of towners tend to use that expression. To avoid discrimination for a mixed race family, the surest way is to choose an upscale white predominated neighborhood where racial animus, is like Ebola, something not to even be seen standing close to. If true diversity of family experience is what is sought, (that photo on the cereal box) nothing comes to mind.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

I have been flamed before for pointing out that Pleasant Ridge is populated by mostly white or mostly black folks depending on what street you are on.
If memory serves, you actually claimed something a little different. The point you're making here is reasonable. However, regardless of our skin color or religion we all enjoy a little Pleasant Ridge Chili.

OP, also consider checking into Silverton, which is just outside of the City limits. Northside also comes to mind.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:34 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8
Pleasant ridge is basically a black neighborhood?

59.7% White, 35.8% Black, 3.19 Mixed.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
What I said was that if one wanted diversity one would look in Pleasant Ridge "where there will be a few non-minority families and bi-racial families on a block in what is basically a black neighborhood."

I didn't say Pleasant ridge was a black neighborhood in its entirety which you have sublimated. In fact much of Pleasant Ridge is entirely white with less diversity than Hyde Park, essentially being the northern extension of Norwood.

But, when one looks for diversity there, one will go to the streets immediately off Montgomery Road which are, in fact, mostly black with a sprinkling of white and mixed race. Kennedy Heights has a similar distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
If memory serves, you actually claimed something a little different. The point you're making here is reasonable. However, regardless of our skin color or religion we all enjoy a little Pleasant Ridge Chili.

OP, also consider checking into Silverton, which is just outside of the City limits. Northside also comes to mind.

I suppose that you made the same reading error that the above critic did.

Last edited by Yac; 03-24-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,082 times
Truly a fascinating study of tone and context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati