Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times

Advertisements

It's the home of William Howard Taft, who was not only President of the United States, he was also Chief Justice of the Supeme Court -- the only man in American history to achieve the distinction. His home is a modest place (a shade above Abraham Lincoln's log cabin) preserved by the National Park Service in Cincinnati.

It's the home base of a soap company of international proportions. People in England use stuff like Tide.

It has a couple of universities, one run by the Jesuits.

(I'm sure some people would like to list some other things.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
You can't get more specific than that? LMAO ...

Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You can't get more specific than that? LMAO ...
The Taft House can be found online. Ditto P&G. Ditto the schools. What is your problem? Maybe someone can help.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Interesting. I'm a cousin of William Howard Taft. Either I'm his 4th cousin or my father's father's 4th cousin. Can't recall which now because I found out about this many years ago.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
I believe it should be mentioned that William Howard Taft is one of eight presidents to originate from Ohio. From those not up on their history the others were William Henry Harrison, Ulysses S Grant, Rutherford B Hayes, James A Garfield, Bengamin Harrison, William McKinley, and Warren Harding.

William H Harrison gave the longest inaugural addresses in history, two hours on a snowy day. He caught pneumonia and died on Aoril 4, one of the shortest terms in office. He is buried in North Bend Ohio.

Grant of course gained fame as a Civil War general. He was born in Point Pleasant Ohio just a short distance northeat of Cincinnati along the Ohio River.

Garfield was from northeast ohio, shot just 4 months after taking office and died 2 month later.

Benjamin Harrison was born in North Bend Ohio, graduated from Miami Ohio University and Cincinnati Law school.

McKinley was born in Miles Ohio. He was also assassinated in office. dying 8 days after he was shot.

Harding was from Marion Ohio. He died afdter 2 years in office from a heart attack while on a trip to California. He is most remembered for the Teapot Dome Scandal where his Secretary of Interior was selling oil rights on public land to the highest bidder. There is an Ohio State Park south of Columbus called Deer Creek which is now an impounded lake. Years ago the creek had a large log cabin up on a hill called the Harding Hunting Lodge. You can still rent it for individual stays. It has been totally stored and modernized by the park. A great place to relax as it is off by itself with its own boat dock on the lake. So you can pretend to be a political big shot engaging in the Teapot Dome Scandal.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
The Taft House can be found online. Ditto P&G. Ditto the schools. What is your problem? Maybe someone can help.
It's your thread. Why are you making everyone else do the work?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's your thread. Why are you making everyone else do the work?
I don't make anyone do anything and wouldn't consider such a thought -- no one has to do anything but die and for most people that's not right now.

Good posting kjbrill. (At least I think so.)

WILWRadio (and anyone else),

If you ever have a chance to go to the Taft House, do so. Me, I stood outside for a moment, saw a house like in one of my old neighborhoods and thought for a moment about the fact that a Chief Justice of the Supreme Court lived there. The inside had some unusual things. I'd consider a second trip....

Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM

577 posts, read 1,281,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
William H Harrison gave the longest inaugural addresses in history, two hours on a snowy day. He caught pneumonia and died on Aoril 4, one of the shortest terms in office. He is buried in North Bend Ohio.

Garfield was from northeast ohio, shot just 4 months after taking office and died 2 month later.
I find it interesting that on opposite ends of Piatt Park (Garfield Place) there are statues honoring the President with the shortest time in office (Harrison) and the second shortest time in office (Garfield). Just a coincidence but interesting (and somewhat odd) to me.

Quote:
Benjamin Harrison was born in North Bend Ohio, graduated from Miami Ohio University and Cincinnati Law school.
Perhaps there is a reason for it but there really doesn't seem to be anything around Cincinnati that commemorates Benjamin Harrison.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
I find it interesting that on opposite ends of Piatt Park (Garfield Place) there are statues honoring the President with the shortest time in office (Harrison) and the second shortest time in office (Garfield). Just a coincidence but interesting (and somewhat odd) to me.

Perhaps there is a reason for it but there really doesn't seem to be anything around Cincinnati that commemorates Benjamin Harrison.
It is difficult to find anything whiich disstinguishes his presidency, good or bad. Probably why there is nothing commemorating him.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM

165 posts, read 396,754 times
Since my interest in places has always been focused initially on local history, early on, I discovered two older local history books which contained an amazing amount of historical information about Cincinnati. The first, was the 1943 WPA Writer's Project's: The Cincinnati Guide which I believe is available for free read and download via Google Books. I bought a hard copy (ex-library) fairly inexpensively online; the second book which provided a slightly different perspective (more personal and less objective) was Clara Longworth De Chambrun's 1939 City history: Cincinnati-The Story of the Queen City. Mrs. De Chambrun was a direct descendant of Cincinnati's "royal" family, the Longworths, and acquired a European pedigree through marriage to a French Count. This book too was a relatively inexpensive online buy and may also be available for free reading and download online. I also purchased a 1988 City Centennial book but found it lacking in additional information when compared to the aforemention volumes. Last, serendipity struck and for only $3 I found a copy (from an online seller) of Dick Perry's Vas You Ever in Zinzinnati? (1966) signed by Mr. Perry himself. It seems Mr. Perry was a local television personality and writer based in Oxford, OH. His book provided some valuable insight into Cincinnatians' thinking about their city during the early to mid-1960's. I've since purchased some more recent small circulation, local history books published by Arcadia Press and written by Betty Anne Smiddy and a Northside neighborhood book by Dann Woellert. Add another two extended visits to the Queen City in recent years as well as an on-going correspondence with several local residents (Hi Paul!) and I feel I've acquired a much better understanding about Cincinnati, its history, and its people. Since the Harrisons have been mentioned (William Henry and Benjamin) I'm curious to know if Westwood's Harrison Avenue is named in honor of one of the presidents? (or after someone else in the Harrison family?) Few inland cities in the U.S. can claim such an illustrious history as Cincinnati and whether we ever become Queen City residents or not the City's history, places, and people will always be fascinating to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati