Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times

Advertisements

So much bark, yet when it comes time to show numbers -- required in a democracy -- the anti-streetcar folks are quite impotent.

Cue one opponent to complain it's because supporters are naive, jobless kids, who can show up for these things.
Cue another to complain how most of the speakers were property owners near the line, standing to gain a profit from the streetcar.
Cue inconsistencies.
Cue fallacies.
Cue desperation.

If city council could possibly be receptive to a kick in the pants to get moving, they received it. Curious to see where it goes from here.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Combined, the last 45 minutes of a 4-hour meeting were a total waste of time.
That's actually not bad ... Usually there's much more wasting of time that goes on at government meetings.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Obviously have to follow this up tomorrow!
It's pretty common these days for people from the suburbs to return to the urban core. Downtown Realtors I am in touch with have made mention of this occurrence on several occasions.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
It's pretty common these days for people from the suburbs to return to the urban core. Downtown Realtors I am in touch with have made mention of this occurrence on several occasions.
Of course, downtown realtors have only one objective in life - sell property downtown. That is well and good. I have only one question, if the majority are going to relocate to downtown where are they going to be gainfully employed? That is, where is the income to provide for the family coming from?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Of course, downtown realtors have only one objective in life - sell property downtown. That is well and good. I have only one question, if the majority are going to relocate to downtown where are they going to be gainfully employed? That is, where is the income to provide for the family coming from?
Well, these days with the housing market still wrecked, most Realtors have turned to rental properties and property management.

But you need to go back and read what I wrote, and notice that I never said "the majority are going to relocate down town." Therefore, your questions aren't relevant to the point I was making, which is: an unspecified number of people are/have relocated from the suburbs into the urban core. I do not know how many, only that it's common enough to stand out to two separate Realtors, from two separate offices.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
So much bark, yet when it comes time to show numbers -- required in a democracy -- the anti-streetcar folks are quite impotent.

Cue one opponent to complain it's because supporters are naive, jobless kids, who can show up for these things.
Cue another to complain how most of the speakers were property owners near the line, standing to gain a profit from the streetcar.
Cue inconsistencies.
Cue fallacies.
Cue desperation.

If city council could possibly be receptive to a kick in the pants to get moving, they received it. Curious to see where it goes from here.
I tuned in on and off during the meeting online. It was an overwhelming message to city council to get moving. The few detractors that I heard speak barely received any applause. From what I could see it was an overwhelming show of support for the project. It was also a dog and pony show if I ever saw one.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 AM

If a majority of suburbanites moved downtown, we'd have worse overcrowding than at the peak of Over-the-Rhine's population density.

If everyone who works downtown lived downtown, it'd probably have greater than Manhattan density. If everyone who worked downtown, uptown, or in the KY river cities, lived within two or three miles of their work, we'd have a pretty damn impressive urban core.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,839,699 times
It funny how many trolls comment about a system in a city they do not even live in. If they lived in Cincinnati they would have been at the meeting last night.

Streetcar hearing: Lots of talk, but no action yet

Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
It funny how many trolls comment about a system in a city they do not even live in. If they lived in Cincinnati they would have been at the meeting last night.

Streetcar hearing: Lots of talk, but no action yet
The comments sections are a cesspool, no matter the rag.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 AM

Comment sections and talk radio seem to appeal to the same personality types. There must be some interesting psychological explanation for this, but I have no idea what it is. It can't be healthy to be angry and outraged all the time. It's like negative group therapy, making the problem worse for all involved.

Those commenters seem so worked up and passionate, yet as unusualfire notes they were all MIA last night. Rather than take an action that might actually change the situation they're so mad about, they'd apparently rather stay mad. Maybe their anger serves as a security blanket, and that subconsciously prevents them from taking any real action to relieve it.

I guess some people enjoy putting on a parade, and other people just enjoy pi$$ing on someone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati