Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM

62 posts, read 120,976 times

Advertisements

Hello,

New to the board here and just wanted to get some ideas for some cool spots to shoot. (If there is an existing thread dedicated to this I'll apologize up front)

I've kinda been to the typical spots; Ault, Alms, Eden, Krohn, etc... Looking for something a bit different. Abandoned amusement parks, "safe" urban landscapes, etc.... Some unique architecture....

Any tips would be surely welcome and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM

224 posts, read 376,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis689 View Post
Hello,

New to the board here and just wanted to get some ideas for some cool spots to shoot. (If there is an existing thread dedicated to this I'll apologize up front)

I've kinda been to the typical spots; Ault, Alms, Eden, Krohn, etc... Looking for something a bit different. Abandoned amusement parks, "safe" urban landscapes, etc.... Some unique architecture....

Any tips would be surely welcome and thanks!
Hi cis, and welcome. We are glad you're here.

I find Findlay Market to be visually pretty dazzling, with a fun mix of people and market activity. I also like the Roebling Suspension Bridge, which is just an amazing looking thing and seems to offer endless new angles and details to check out from a distance or up close. Sorry if these are too obvious, but they were not on your list and are well worth checking out for photo opportunities or just visual pleasure.

Added - I just saw your photos on the picture thread and see you are well aware of the suspension bridge. Beautiful photos.

Last edited by Scott SW Ohio; 06-25-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
If you haven't been to Dayton Street in the West End, try that.

I'm always intrigued with the homes in the East End, the whole way to California and Coney Island. Just drive out Eastern Avenue/Kellogg Avenue.

Coney Island isn't an abandoned amusement park, but it's still a cool place to wander around in. LeSourdesville Lake, east of Monroe, is abandoned. Not sure what's still left there, but last I heard the rides that are still standing are deteriorating rapidly.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Hi cis, and welcome. We are glad you're here.

I find Findlay Market to be visually pretty dazzling, with a fun mix of people and market activity. I also like the Roebling Suspension Bridge, which is just an amazing looking thing and seems to offer endless new angles and details to check out from a distance or up close. Sorry if these are too obvious, but they were not on your list and are well worth checking out for photo opportunities or just visual pleasure.

Added - I just saw your photos on the picture thread and see you are well aware of the suspension bridge. Beautiful photos.
I've been wanting to go there and shop for the longest time (farmers market if ya will correct ?) so this will be added to the list. Yes, I've done and love the bridges and Thanks for the compliment sir.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you haven't been to Dayton Street in the West End, try that.

I'm always intrigued with the homes in the East End, the whole way to California and Coney Island. Just drive out Eastern Avenue/Kellogg Avenue.

Coney Island isn't an abandoned amusement park, but it's still a cool place to wander around in. LeSourdesville Lake, east of Monroe, is abandoned. Not sure what's still left there, but last I heard the rides that are still standing are deteriorating rapidly.
Googling your suggestions, they sound very interesting so far, thank you very much!!! I am semi close to Kellogg Ave. you are talking about past Old Coney correct? Opposite of the way to Annie's, etc?

EDIT:

#Dayton Street - LOVE the detail in those buidings! http://www.flickr.com/photos/1123651...7618123919235/

I will go and check this out. Thanks again.

Last edited by cis689; 06-25-2013 at 05:57 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis689 View Post
I am semi close to Kellogg Ave. you are talking about past Old Coney correct? Opposite of the way to Annie's, etc?
Well, I was talking about heading east from downtown, but you could go either way from where you are.

There isn't much past Coney; I was thinking of all the little enclaves of houses and buildings strung along Kellogg and Eastern avenues along the river. St. Rose Church is in the East End, and that's always worth a look.

Oh, and LMAO at Annie's ... I haven't thought of that place in years (and haven't been there in longer!).

Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 PM

221 posts, read 336,128 times
The UC campus and Clifton have some interesting architecture, a mix of modern and old. Mt. Storm Park is in that area, too. I've always admired the Art Deco-type architecture around the Cincinnati area. I'm sure you've done Union Terminal but the number of different angles and lighting are limitless for such a classic structure.

Crossing over into Kentucky, there are number of beautiful shots of Cincinnati possible from Devou Park, of course. I've always found the city's skyline and the river to be exceptionally beautiful from a number of different spots,especially at night.

Last edited by DaveGl; 06-25-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Americana and Surf Cincinnati are abandoned amusement parks you could photograph.

Mt. Adams offers some good shots of the downtown, the river, and the quaint neighborhood itself. Covington has a cathedral near Madison & 12th.

There really are just loads of picturesque neighborhoods with cool architecture all around the city. One of my favorite urban photo ops is Woodburn Ave. in East Walnut Hills.

Plum Street Temple is a cool building to shoot.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Thank you very guys, information greatly appreciated..

Mt.Storm and East Walnut Hills added to this. Love Mt.Adams and the Cathedral, beautiful place!!

Man, forgot about Americana and Surf Cincinnati...

Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times
This website might give you some ideas: Ronny's a local who does a lot of urban/suburban exploration Queen City Discovery

I love Mt. Auburn, and whatever's left standing of Glencoe is worth checking out (if it hasn't yet been completely demolished)

The rejuvenation of Over-the-Rhine never ceases to amaze me. When I left Cincinnati in 1996 it wasn't a good idea to travel anywhere north of Central Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati