Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My friends in Westwood swear by Wassler's in Cheviot. Seems like a decent place.

I shopped for deli meat mostly at the Newtown Farm Market, which also has good sandwiches and a salad bar, and tables to sit and eat them.

For all I walked by Mariemont Meats almost every day, I never stepped inside the place.
Wassler's is the ONLY purveyor of authentic German bockwurst sausage that I will buy. Their's is the best! Others don't grind the meat as finely or are greasy and gamey. When Wassler's abandoned Findlay Market as a result of the riots, I was devastated, because I had no inclination to drive to Bridgetown. Fortunately, there is a vendor down at Findlay who carries Wassler's fresh bockwurst when it is in season. I won't tell you which one, because the supply is limited and it goes fast!

Avril's on Court Street is a classic old time butcher shop and the quality is unmatched. I also have never been disappointed with anything from Eckerlin's at Findlay Market. Also, if you are looking for a fine poulterer, Busch's at Findlay Market carries clean, fresh birds that beat the crap out of those slimey, yellow skinned roosters that Kroger sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 PM

88 posts, read 233,233 times
I love Holzman's Meats on Montgomery Road just south of 275. It is tucked back in a strip mall behind Shell station. Wonderful prime and choice steaks, homemade Italian sausage and Wine Country sausage. Also a fab deli with house made chicken salad, ham salad, etc. And take home entrees like stuffed peppers, baked chicken and so much more. They will even tell you how to cook it to perfection. Great staff!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you have one close by, give GFS (Gordon's Food Service) a try. They are primarily a commercial supplier to restaurants, etc. But we like what we can buy there, mostly frozen and in bulk. But we stock our freezer. We like their frozen Cod specifically.

While I like GFS and have purchased from them for years wholesale, you have to be very careful on the meats that you buy there. GFS services the high end as well as the low end and some of the meat can be real garbage.

I was in there earlier this year as I catered a church dinner. I bought 20# of 4 oz center cut pork chops and expected relatively uniform chops. What I received were tiny thin cut of pork that were the thickness of scallopine. It was a poor product.

In the future, I will open up the box and see what I am getting before I leave the store.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Be forewarned, this is probably at least my tenth reiteration of the same rave. But there are always new readers joining the party, so here goes.

The Wyoming Meat Market in the inner-ring suburb of the same name is well regarded if not jump-and-shouted about ("They're reliably good.") What really inspires the love for them is their years-long tradition of curbside carry-out. On many days without precipitation throughout the year you can count on seeing at least one Weber kettle grill being put to work on the sidewalk out front. All of the hamburger places which have been rambled about in other C-D threads are rivaled by what you can grab on Wyoming Ave on a sunny day. There's just something about freshly ground meat, cooked to order over an open fire that wasn't started with lighter fluid. Who cares if the bun is out of a bag and not from a yuppie baker? These burgers are juicy enough that you hardly notice the quality of the bread. Want cheese, condiments, etc? Just say the word and they'll hook you up.

It takes a lot for the Goyguy Sr's to venture past the Sauerkraut Curtain for anything, but for occasion-dinner meats they make the trek to Wassler's. When you're looking for roast(s) sufficient to serve twelve people, not including neighbors/friends - and four of those persons are adolescent males with the predictable bottomless stomachs - you want to go with a sure thing.

Re Costco, I agree, their meats are almost astoundingly good all things considered.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,703,638 times
"Sauerkraut Curtain", lol. Nice post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati