Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times

Advertisements

The forecast is for a warm weekend in Cincinnati, beginning on the 20th. But with the warmth also comes rain. Keep that in mind when you are thinking about what to do. I wouldn't expect a washout, but dress accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 PM

76 posts, read 147,323 times
Make sure you go ice skating on fountain square, and i hate talking bad about my city but try not to walk around downtown pass 9...

Old 12-17-2013, 01:20 PM

172 posts, read 254,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync33 View Post
Make sure you go ice skating on fountain square, and i hate talking bad about my city but try not to walk around downtown pass 9...
Really? Any part of "downtown" in particular? Or the whole area from The Banks to OTR?

Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 PM

76 posts, read 147,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Slick View Post
Really? Any part of "downtown" in particular? Or the whole area from The Banks to OTR?
I hate saying this about my favorite city in the country but it really isn't that safe, my cousin goes to Performing Arts high school and he was walking to his car and a guy pointed a gun at him, he demanded his backpack which literally only contained books and papers. DO NOT go north of central parkway i would say the heart of downtown is fine but north of central parkway is the ghetto, but this isnt jut any old ghetto this ghetto is also a liberal professional hub with new restaurants, parks stores and a new streetcar about to go through there. During the day its fine remember tons of new families live downtown, but its still a bit dangerous at night.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Scaring the begebus out of visitors to our fair city about the dangers here is a very welcoming attitude? I would hope they would be back to the central core by 9:00 P.M. When I say central core I am talking about Fountain Square. With their itinerary they will be spending one evening at the Taft Theatre on 5th street. This should be a short hop from their hotel.

OP ... If the Residence Inn is what I remember about their downtown hotels, I would just do breakfast there on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, if you are really up to another walk/climb you could take the stairs up the hillside to Mt Adams. The first problem you have is how do I get across I-71 to the stairway? The next problem is how long does this trek take if I want to get out of here and head back to Charlotte, arriving sometime before midnight?
My advice is get out of the hotel early and then drive up to Mt Adams. You will be there too early in the day for the bohemian attractions, but you can get the gist just driving through and seeing the views. The adjacent Eden Park is another jewel of Cincinnati with several overlooks giving great views of the Ohio River, good camera shots. If you plan ahead and find a brunch place in Mt Adams you will do fine. As I have said twice now, get a local map of Cincinnati and plot your timeline. You commented you like to get up Early. Therefore, check out of the hotel early on Sunday and drive up to Mt Adams, Eden Park. Take the drive through Eden Park to see all of the river overlooks. If you have identified a place in Mt Adams for Sunday brunch, stop there, have a good meal, then get on the road for Charlotte. Above all, enjoy your time in Cincy.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,524 times
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Looks like I will have plenty of choices this weekend. Hopefully it won't be too rainy, but we'll bring along umbrellas and dress for it just in case. If it is a washout, we'll just move quickly and spend more time inside than planned. But that's okay - looks there's plenty of art/galleries to look at.

So I think Friday will be around Fountain Square -- the tree and skating rink, Carew observation deck, then walk along the river, eat at Moerlein (my mouth waters just looking at their menu). If we get to town early enough, I may reverse the order there -- eat first, hoping that by the end of the evening we can eat again. Or maybe before we really get going have a late lunch at Skyline.

Saturday - if the weather doesn't chase us indoors or into taxis - we'll walk to and through Over the Rhine, with visits to Findlay Market, Washington Park during the caroling/Santa's workshop hours, maybe have lunch at the Senate or Iris Bookcafe or any other place that catches our eye, check out some shops, and wander aimlessly. Saturday evening, the concert at the Taft.

Sunday - I think driving through Mt. Adams on our way out of town sounds good. I've google-map street-viewed a couple places that look like they might be good viewing spots/photography spots and perhaps we'll take a quick drive through the park too.

That's the plan as of now anyway. Hopefully I can find time and room in my belly for some ice cream at Graeter's and treats from Servatii and ... ugh. There's just way too much food I want to try while I'm there. I'm starting to think I may not even get to a Skyline Chili. And it does appear that breakfasts will be at the hotel. Since a hot buffet is included, we may as well take advantage of it.

Oh, and I won't be scared off by the don't-walk-around-after-dark warnings. Every city has people that say that. And every city has parts you shouldn't walk through in the dark counting your money and waving your camera around. I'm from Detroit. I live in Charlotte. I go to cities for fun. There's always the chance of something bad happening, but it won't be because I'm being careless or stupid. So thanks for the heads-up but it's not necessary. This isn't my first road trip.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM

I think that is a good decision for breakfast at the hotel. My experience with Residence Inn is they do a pretty good job with the buffet, and as you say it is the price of the room so use it.

The weather forecast is rather gloomy for the weekend. We have been experiencing sub-freezing weather for a couple of weeks now starting December. But the Friday-Sunday forecast is temperatures in the mid-fifties and lots of rain.

You might want to plan some contingencies indoors. Right there in Lytle Park is the Taft Museum of Art which was the residence of President William Howard Taft's half-brother and which the family donated to the city for a museum.

The Cincinnati Art Museum is in Eden Park and a short drive up the hill from Gilbert Ave. It has 88 galleries and over 80,000 works of art so you can spend quite a bit of time there, and the best part admission is free.

The 21c Museum Hotel is on Walnut St about about 1/2 block north of Fountain Square and the Contemporary Arts Center is on 6th street which is basically the north side of the block framing Fountain Square. The 21c is an old hotel converted into a luxury boutique hotel, and also houses a contemporary art museum.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 AM

101 posts, read 182,816 times
Hi OP,

Lots of good suggestions and your itinerary looks great so far. Here are a few random thoughts here.

The mention about walking around downtown after 9 PM is a bit silly, especially on the weekend as there are lots of people walking around in the same areas you will be. You'll get a better tour of OTR during the day to see Washington Park, Music Hall, and the architecture, but, depending on your age and preferences, I think the best nightlife in the city is in OTR on Vine st and Main st. Also, I'd also highly recommend the OTR walking tour. They are great story-tellers and help to bring the history of the city to life.

Additionally, a few restaurant recommendations... if Senate is busy or your food preferences change, Bakersfield OTR is across the street and has phenomenal tacos, guacamole, and atmosphere. I would recommend skipping the hotel brunch one of your mornings and going to Taste of Belgium which has incredible traditional Belgian waffles (think crispy, caramelized), crepes, and some more traditional items. They also do a nice spin on Chicken and waffles.

Lastly, there are any number of great angles to view the city skyline, but for my money, the best view is across the river. If the weather cooperates, take a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and head to George Rogers Clark Park and enjoy the view from the benches. http://maps.google.com/local_url?dq=...IaWXVNg&dtab=2

We had some of our wedding pictures taken there and they are definitely our favorite. This view was also featured in the Clooney-Gosling movie, Ides of March.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
To the OP--glad to see you finalizing your weekend itinerary, but sorry about the probability of rain. Nevertheless, may I also add a few random observations for your consideration, none of them new, but with my own emphasis:

(a) The Carew Tower. An absolute must! No matter what the weather, its observation-deck will be open, and the $2.00 spent for admission will be your best bargain in the entire city;

(b) Mt. Adams. Whatever you do up here, walk back Guido Street past the city's most famous church (the Immaculata) and onto the most beloved balcony of Cincinnati. And please don't hesitate to venture into the church through its side door--it's is open to all and has provided beauty and respite to literally thousands of people;

(c) Eden Park. Immediately past Mirror Lake and the Krohn Conservatory is the park's "lower overlook," a splendid place to relax and view the Ohio River.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 AM

47 posts, read 64,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync33 View Post

Ive only lived here for a year, actually two weeks short of a year, so I was going to leave recommendations to the Cincinnati natives who know far more than I about this city but I have to say something now. That statement is ridiculous. It may have been true years ago I dont know but it most certainly is not the case anymore. Should you use common sense walking around the core of ANY city in the World? Well yeah of course but should you avoid being on the streets of Downtown Cincinnati after 9? Thats just ridiculous. I dont know if that person only remembers the old days or maybe does not have any common street smarts or is just completely paranoid but there is no reason to avoid walking around Downtown OR OTR after 9 as long as you pay attention as you should in any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati