Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
See, here you are just choosing what you want to be afraid of. To say you don't have a problem with coal tells me that you choose to ignore the vast amounts of emissions spewed into the air when it is burned. Even with scrubbing technology, coal burning is far more detrimental to the environment and YOUR health than anything resulting from fracking. You don't fear the devil you've known all your life. Psychologists write volumes on this phenomena.
You know why I don't fear coal? Because coal plants are being shut down left and right and the total emissions from these plants has fallen dramatically over the last two to three decades. Most are going to be wiped out in the next few years thanks to new regulations that will prohibit many from being retrofitted with new technology allowing them to burn coal more cleanly. There is little question that air quality in this country have improved dramatically since 1970 as heavy manufacturing has moved abroad to pollute developing countries. At least I can keep air purifiers on hand in my house to keep the air clean if it is polluted.

Our drinking water just keeps getting more and more polluted. Look at what Fukushima is doing to the Pacific and now the west coast of America. Some water systems in our western region are seeing an increase in radiation in the water because rainfall brings it into the watershed.

When they build and market a device that will filter the fracking contaminants out of the water for home use, I will buy it and then rest easy. If they don't then they should not be shipping this waste on our rivers or lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Wrong publication, technically. Should be Kentucky Enquirer (responsible for Northern Kentucky) which has a different water system from Cincinnati.
Where does the water in Covington come from? Is it still the Ohio River or another source?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 AM

I think what people fail to grasp is that when you introduce foreign substances into the water, it will lead to serious problems.

Sea Lamprey's have done serious damage to Lake Erie. They were not a native species. Eurasian Millfoil from Europe has done serious damage to our lakes and streams in most of the country. It really does not matter if it is a chemical or series of that are entering our water, they are not naturally occurring and should not be there. They will cause as much damage as a living organism that is not a natural part of the chain.

I liken this problem to using a public pool. Very likely a lot of people use it as a bathroom but they continue to swim in it anyway even though it is dirty. Chlorine will only kill so much of that stuff.

The following shows some of the chemicals being used in the fracking process. It also says Reverse Osmosis and charcoal filters will remove the crap out of the water at home. Now if they can find a way to filter out the crap at the head end.

http://www.efilterwater.com/how-remove-fracking-fluid

Last edited by WILWRadio; 01-15-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Where does the water in Covington come from? Is it still the Ohio River or another source?
I'm sorry, but I never fully explored the matter as I've used bottled water for decades -- as near as I can tell the fluoride (?) seems to affect me. I can only use a little tap water.

I think both sides of the river use the river water but the Cincinnati side also has access to aquifer water.

Try here:

Northern Kentucky Water District

People do use whatever comes out of the tap.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 01-15-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 11:23 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,839,699 times
Fort Thomas Treatment Plant: 859-441-0482
Memorial Parkway Treatment Plant: 859-441-0763
Taylor Mill Treatment Plant: 859-655-6561

Old 01-15-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I'm sorry, but I never fully explored the matter as I've used bottled water for decades -- as near as I can tell the fluoride (?) seems to affect me. I can only use a little tap water.

I think both sides of the river use the river water but the Cincinnati side also has access to aquifer water.

Try here:

Northern Kentucky Water District

People do use whatever comes out of the tap.

Yeah, I don't like fluoride either. Will buy a filter for that as well. I will call Covington at some point to find out where their water originates.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Fort Thomas Treatment Plant: 859-441-0482
Memorial Parkway Treatment Plant: 859-441-0763
Taylor Mill Treatment Plant: 859-655-6561
Thanks. Does each of these plants provide water to the city of Covington?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't like fluoride either. Will buy a filter for that as well. I will call Covington at some point to find out where their water originates.
Are they stealing your essence, General Ripper???

Quote:
You know why I don't fear coal? Because coal plants are being shut down left and right and the total emissions from these plants has fallen dramatically over the last two to three decades. Most are going to be wiped out in the next few years thanks to new regulations that will prohibit many from being retrofitted with new technology allowing them to burn coal more cleanly. There is little question that air quality in this country have improved dramatically since 1970 as heavy manufacturing has moved abroad to pollute developing countries. At least I can keep air purifiers on hand in my house to keep the air clean if it is polluted.
And why is coal in decline? Because fracking has made it possible to get enough cheap natural gas to make conversion cost effective and sustainable. I guess your solution is fine if you don't mind living in a bubble, but I like being outside.

Quote:
Our drinking water just keeps getting more and more polluted. Look at what Fukushima is doing to the Pacific and now the west coast of America. Some water systems in our western region are seeing an increase in radiation in the water because rainfall brings it into the watershed.
Ever heard of acid rain? That gets into the watershed, too, and is largely caused by your friend coal. It kills fish and screws with the entire ecosystem. I'm not a fan of nuclear myself, but you should do some reading on the recovery of the region surrounding Chernobyl. It's one of the most pristine and natural places in Europe with plants and animals thriving like nowhere else on the continent. Pray that man remains too scared to go in there again, because it's a beautiful place.

Quote:
When they build and market a device that will filter the fracking contaminants out of the water for home use, I will buy it and then rest easy. If they don't then they should not be shipping this waste on our rivers or lakes.
Again, you are only freaked out about this because you know about it. A lot nastier stuff is transported every day on that river that simply isn't news worthy.

Quote:
I think what people fail to grasp is that when you introduce foreign substances into the water, it will lead to serious problems.

Sea Lamprey's have done serious damage to Lake Erie. They were not a native species. Eurasian Millfoil from Europe has done serious damage to our lakes and streams in most of the country. It really does not matter if it is a chemical or series of that are entering our water, they are not naturally occurring and should not be there. They will cause as much damage as a living organism that is not a natural part of the chain.
How can you compare invasive species to fracking? Apples to oranges. You spill a little antifreeze in the river, it washes away. Look at the Mill Creek...100 years of 19th and early 20th Century poisoning, and it is recovering. But Zebra mussels? There's a problem. Asian carp? A problem. Emerald Ash borer? Problem. Fire ants, African killer bees, kudzu, Burmese pythons, Dutch Elm disease? All of these problems that are far more monumental than fracking, since they are virtually impossible to eradicate. The Great Lakes have nearly 200 such problems.

Quote:
The following shows some of the chemicals being used in the fracking process. It also says Reverse Osmosis and charcoal filters will remove the crap out of the water at home. Now if they can find a way to filter out the crap at the head end.

Removing Fracking Fluids from Drinking Water and What is Being Done to Monitor Them Today - eFilterWater
Looks like you answered your own question from above. I'm glad you will be sleeping well tonight.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM

^^^That's General Jack D. Ripper to you. You need to observe appropriate protocol on this message board.

It is well documented that Fluoride is a poison. Even the ADA is now admitting it. In certain concentrations it becomes rat poison.

ADA study confirms dangers of fluoridated water, especially for babies

The chernobyl disaster is small potatoes compared to what is taking place in Fukushima. Caesium 134 was detected. It has a radioactive half life of more than 2,000 years. Also detected, Caesium 137 which has a radioactive half life of at least 30 years and is quick to spread and contaminate a wide area. I spoke to my brother about what took place there right after it happened to learn more abut the seriousness of the meltdown. BTW. He has a formal background in nuclear physics. Do you?

The decline in the coal industry has NOTHING to do with fracking. While it is true that Coal Seam Gas can be extracted with Fracking, your typical Lignite and Bituminous coals which seem to be the most common kinds mined in this country are on the decline solely because the current regime in DC has a war against the industry.

And yes, I am well aware of what acid rain has done to some lakes in this country especially in the northeast. But surprisingly many of these lakes are coming back to life. Guess why? Because the man made contaminants that destroyed it initially are now no longer finding their way into our waterways. One example:

Dead lake comes back to life, at least for now - World news - World environment | NBC News

Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 PM

And something else to bear in mind. Many chemicals will build up in your system over time even if you only ingest a very tiny amount at a time. But over time, they build up in your body and will cause harmful effects or create serious health problems. I took a look at the list of some of the chemicals being used in fracking in one of those links that I posted, I do know that ingesting some of that stuff, even if it is only a few ppm at a time, will cause health issues if enough of that crap is ingested over a few years. Just like with Mercury, "a little dab will do ya" um, IN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati