Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times

Advertisements

Big pot of Chili yesterday, fresh Chocolate Chip cookies this afternoon.

It looks like the cold is going to hang around long enough that there might be a pot of Potato Soup this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:30 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
This time of year is bockwurst season. On a cold Sunday morning, there is nothing like fresh Wassler's bockwurst in the skillet with a fresh loaf of Servati's Oldenburg bread for toasting, or a nice crusty loaf from Shadeau.

It's also a great time of year to pick up a capon from Busch's at Findlay Market and make a big, steaming pot of chicken and dumplings.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Big pot of Chili yesterday, fresh Chocolate Chip cookies this afternoon.

It looks like the cold is going to hang around long enough that there might be a pot of Potato Soup this week.
That is something I haven't made in eons. Yes, potato soup is in the cards this week. Do you put onions in yours?

Old 01-26-2014, 06:56 PM

Glad it is more cold than snow. I can deal with the cold, but snow can make me miserable.

Looking at the forecast, trying to decide what to prepare food wise. Definitely have to plan on some chili, with beans. Already made my BLT's. They are as good in January as June.

Some Mac & Cheese is definitely in the offering. Trying to decide whether Jalapenos or not.

Give me some help people. Already decided one day is potato soup. Just don't know what else I may throw in it. Another day will be 5-bean soup, yes love those beans. So help me get through these dreadful days of winter.

I have some chicken thighs I still have to cook. The daughter went to Walmart today and brought home some pizza and fixings for a good salad. We enjoyed both of them. Have to find a receipe for a slow cooker to make those thighs in tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Vegetable soup is always good when it's cold out. How about some beef stew? Or a white chicken chili, with those chicken thighs you have?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Vegetable soup is always good when it's cold out. How about some beef stew? Or a white chicken chili, with those chicken thighs you have?
Nice idea. Givde it a good thought tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
That is something I haven't made in eons. Yes, potato soup is in the cards this week. Do you put onions in yours?
Onions definitely. Also a few carrots, some celery, and ham.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Onions definitely. Also a few carrots, some celery, and ham.
You play in my ballpark, have to jazz it up some. Also considering some bean or maybe split-pea soup. Same thing there, you need to jazz them up.

Got away without shoveling again. It got warm enough yesterday all of my pavement is bare.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,384 times
Did I hear chicken thighs? This is one of my husband and kids favorite recipes. I make it with white rice and spoon the sauce on top of the chicken and rice before serving. Delicious!

Baked Apricot Chicken

Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
When it is this cold my dogs require a lot more attention because they don't use up all of their energy running around outside. As a result, I have less time and energy to cook. When I don't have time to cook my kitchen resembles a Cincinnati style chili parlor with sandwiches, breakfast food, things that can be cooked quickly on a skillet, and of course chili. I have had some pretty epic sandwiches this week, mostly using leftover meats. I made a triple decker rye bread sandwich with egg, roast beef, and ham last night, and for lunch yesterday I had a meat loaf sandwich. I also like turkey breast, egg, and cheese bagels and BLTs on wheat. Deli sandwiches, when made with quality ingredients rather than salty processed lunch meats, can be amazingly good and fairly healthy as well.

I am incredibly excited about Sunday. I host an annual Superbowl party and invite around 50 people to my house, mostly family. The main course is Lasagna, and each of my aunts as well as some of my cousins have their own personal approach to the dish, which they each share. It is a family tradition that has been going on since before I was born, and I inherited hosting it when my grandmother went into a nursing home. I can tell, after a single bite, who made the Lasagna, as each recipe has a unique flavor and my Lasagna tasting skills are finely honed. Most of the people in my generation are responsible for bringing sides and desserts (or drinks, for the cooking impaired) and just about everyone has a signature dish.

What I am really excited about is that every year people tend to leave me with a full fridge full of leftovers. The coming weeks, I will get to have some great leftovers just about every meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati