Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 AM

19 posts, read 146,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Pogues was never in Beechmont Mall. Mabley and Carews was there until it was taken over. Then it was Ayer's then Parisian.

The cafeteria was Hot Shoppes and eventually Uno's.
I knew it was either one of the two. Ah, Hot Shoppes. Lots of old people. And Brendemours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 04:25 PM

6 posts, read 32,155 times
Betty Tessel?--Was she related to the Tessels that lived on Twigwood in Amberly village?. I remember that family well.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
Kenwood Plaza, anyone?

It may have been talked about pages ago but I don't think so.

We could start with Pogues on the right and the clothiers (what was the name) on the left as you drove in off of Kenwood Rd.

I grew up around there and have since moved back. I never really cared much for the plaza after the mall was built across the street in the early 70's. I remember a Mcalpins, stienberg's, music /video store. zino's, little professor book store, bankharts, brooks brothers?, photo shop, liqour store.--well I got the ball rolling. time for others to help.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:33 PM

76 posts, read 317,361 times
There was also a Grant's five and ten in Kenwood Plaza if I recall correctly--it was toward the middle of the plaza and it was quite large. In the somewhat enclosed area, there was a candle store, a barber, a camera store, and a state store.

I also recall a toy store down toward Pogue's.

There was a nice little gift store called "The Forget-Me-Not Shop." They sold note cards, ceramics, small decor, etc. I really liked going in there.

I think there was also a chocolate/candy store in the plaza--something like a Fanny Farmer.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 PM

410 posts, read 587,490 times
Quote:
Pogues was never in Beechmont Mall. Mabley and Carews was there until it was taken over. Then it was Ayer's then Parisian.

The cafeteria was Hot Shoppes and eventually Uno's.

Mabley & Carew was bought out by Elder-Beerman in most of the Cincinnati Locations including Beechmont Mall ... Parisian bought the location from Elder-Beerman in the mid-90's.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:08 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
Kenwood Plaza, anyone?

It may have been talked about pages ago but I don't think so.

We could start with Pogues on the right and the clothiers (what was the name) on the left as you drove in off of Kenwood Rd.
Wow, I don't know how people remember so much detail about this stuff. I do recall the Prime and Wine restaurant that was there in the mid-1970's, I think on the corner of Montgomery and Kenwood. People went there a lot for graduations, etc.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Wow, I don't know how people remember so much detail about this stuff. I do recall the Prime and Wine restaurant that was there in the mid-1970's, I think on the corner of Montgomery and Kenwood. People went there a lot for graduations, etc.
Because back in the 1970's, our parents weren't taking us to 50 different afterschool activities nor did we have cable with 100+ channels, an iPod, or any of the electronic gizmos. You spent more than a little time in the mall because it was a place where you could meet up with friends and you could spend an afternoon at the mall without spending a lot of money.

I was lucky. I knew the Queen City Metro schedules and for 25 cents I could be downtown in 30 minutes or so from the time I was ten years old,

Prime and Wine was a restaurant that was owned and run by Frisch's.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Because back in the 1970's, our parents weren't taking us to 50 different afterschool activities nor did we have cable with 100+ channels, an iPod, or any of the electronic gizmos. You spent more than a little time in the mall because it was a place where you could meet up with friends and you could spend an afternoon at the mall without spending a lot of money.

I was lucky. I knew the Queen City Metro schedules and for 25 cents I could be downtown in 30 minutes or so from the time I was ten years old,

Prime and Wine was a restaurant that was owned and run by Frisch's.
I remember the Prime and Wine being there from the early 1970's. The food was good and it always seemed to be busy. It was always considered a prime rib/steak house and by the late 70's/early 80's added a salad bar, which was voted the best in town. In the mid 80's they began serving lunch, which involved a limited menu and salad and taco bar. I bet they did that for the growing area that now included a Fridays and Ground Round. In the early 90's it burned down and was never replaced in that same location. About 10 years later a Prime in Wine opened in the now Sycamore Plaza (not sure if same owners) in a closed Hotel Mexico. It did not last very long.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 PM

88 posts, read 233,284 times
What was the name of the drugstore in the Valley Shopping Center with the lunch counter? I remember many grilled cheese and chocolate milkshake lunches with my Mom but cannot remember the drugstore name!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,985 times
Default valley shopping center-roselawn

I grew up in Roselawn from 1960-1963, and I remember the Valley Shopping Center in Roselawn. My brother and I would frequent the Valley Theatre for films like "Around the World in 80 Days." There was also the Valley Drug Store that sported a soda fountain that we visited almost everyday after leaving Woodward.The fountain served hotdogs, french fries, and great phosphates(cherry was my favorite).There was Krogers in the back of the center, which my mother frequented almost on a daily basis, and there were also several small office and medical buildings on the opposite side of the parking lot. My family was a fan of the Twin Drive-in,which had exits to Reading RD, and on the otherside on a separate screen, and exit to Norwood. My dad would invariably end up on the Norwood side somehow. I saw "The Incredible Shrinking Man" and several other b movies, while eating their delicious pizza. Those are some very warm memories for me, and their are times I wish I could return to those innocent days.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...#ixzz0SjCmrWHQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati