Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:11 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,366 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know for sure....

That there is no law, rule or regulation that requires a person to have a telephone anywhere in Greater Cincinnati and/or just beyond it. (If possible include a quotable source and make it anywhere in this country.)

...Or, for that matter a law, rule or regulation that says you must use voice mail if it is available.

I do not need an explanation about office procedures or telephones. I was state certified clerical by the state of Ohio for over five years. I once ran a switchboard (PBX). My aunt born near the turn of the last century could run one. I've earned money telephone soliciting three times in my life.

I don't need any advisory about how you can even get a free cell phone, that telephones are standard, that some people play telephone tag, etc.

Yesterday evening I called a nursing services agency "nurse on call" number twice and got voice mail to leave a message (including phone number) each time.

Day before yesterday during business hours I called a social services office and asked for the caseworker on call. The receptionist said she would connect me to voice mail. I said I didn't want voice mail and she repeated that she would connect me to voice mail (at which point I hung up and subsequently called a county attorney's office for an official statement about telephones and started to get an explanation about office procedures). I have called cop investigating case and got voice mail. Day before day before yesterday I called some office, told the person the problem, was asked for a telephone number for a call back, told the person there was no call back number but I could call her back in an hour, which was apparently okay, and upon doing so was told she was out to lunch.

Now, let's get real here. There are easily 20,000 people out there who don't have telephones for whatever reason. There are three telephones around me that I can use, one being in my pocket, but I can relate to someone who doesn't have one and would have the courtesy to figure out a way to be of service to someone who doesn't have one. ...Which person probably needs an answer more than ten people with telephones. Neither would I assume everyone does things "that way." And, it's high time this "civilized society" considered all of it's citizenry.

Anyone know of an quotable, legalistic authority? Local is plenty good enough. I'm not calling anywhere else. All I want is a referable source, so that I can announce to the voice mail something like, "According to ________, there's no law, rule or regulation that says I have to have a telephone number for you to call me back whenever you get around to it. Feel free to check it out. I can make arrangements to call you at a mutually agreed upon appointed time."

(Thanks for input.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Uhhh…

No such law on the books.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Uhhh…

I also believe there is no law requiring you to have a phone. But modern society may be something else. If you don't have a phone dealing with modern society may be very difficult.

I do believe there should be a different setup for a retirement center. There should be one number to reach residents. The center should then have a piece of equipment which recognizes the individual residents as extensions on the main line. The one time cost of this equipment should more than be made up for by sharing a single external line. Yes there could be some contention for the single line but the inconvenience should be offset by the reduced cost.

For those old folks who just have to sit on the phone for hours with their kids or grandkids there are other options. We have IP Phone layered on our cabel and internet. It has worked flawlessly since the day first installed.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:55 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
One of these things is not like the other ...

Legality has nothing to do with necessity in this case.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM

268 posts, read 371,552 times
I'd say it this way: you don't have to have a phone, and a business/agency doesn't have to make allowances if you don't.

It's like that with a lot of things. My employer, a few years ago, stopped mailing pay stub info. You get it online, or you don't get it.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:33 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
You want to call them on the phone but they can't call you back? OK. That pretty silly. How about if you go in person and they answer you in person? Or, how about you write them a letter and have a return address where they can write you?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You want to call them on the phone but they can't call you back? OK. That pretty silly. How about if you go in person and they answer you in person? Or, how about you write them a letter and have a return address where they can write you?
Pretty good synopsis. If they can't all you back don't call them. Person to person sounds good but it may take you all day. The write them a letter with the return address to write you back is the best.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:54 PM

While several comments merit attention, let me remind you all,

especially Mr. Wilson

of an ancient concept called (hold your hat): Pay Phone. You put in money, like once upon a time a nickel and more lately 50 cents, and use it once. Many big buildings have them. In some big apartment buildings there are even office extensions for community use -- a telephone to be shared with 100 or so other people.

Postscript: I might also point out that if the office is a government office, the government has a responsibility toward all citizens.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 08-02-2014 at 02:02 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 PM

CarpathianPeasant ...

Some comments on your comments. Obviously a Pay Phone will no longer Pay for Itself.

Now if a building realizes that having a Pay Phone is good for their clients, residents, etc., I am sure they can pay the overhead to have one installed.

But my opinion is a Pay Phone is a stupid investment. People still have to feed it something to make it work. A much better idea is install a standard external line and let anybody use it for local calls. Just have a block put on it for long distance.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Uhhh…

Thanks for the backing, but you aren't a legalistic authority to which one can refer. Even if you get your radio station going, you won't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: