Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:23 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,871 times

Advertisements

I have interviewed telephonically in Florida a few times and I have had about 4+ interviewers just not show up to their phone interviews over the past 2 years.

Call me paranoid, but I think that this may be getting done to me on purpose.

The interviewers have not offered any excuse for their behavior and in some of the cases just stop talking to me altogether without any explanation.

I "blacklist" the recruiter once they have done that from my contacts.

The first few times I complained to their superiors but I have noticed that complaining gets me nowhere. I have ended up getting banned from the company by complaining about it more than once. I am professional and reasonable when I complain, but the end result is that the company wants nothing to do with me.

Any ideas what this could be about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Emergencies pop up at work all the time.

The first response is to do nothing. Many people let it fly, because they don't know what to do.

The other typical response is call and complain. It's shows an inability to keep emotions in check and act business like.

The business response is for the applicant to call 10-15 minutes after the scheduled time. Then say in a non-emotional tone of voice, "We have a phone interview scheduled at 2:00 pm. I am checking in, since I have not heard from you. Would you like to speak now or reschedule?" If nobody answers, you can leave a simliar voice mail.

The first 2 responses will always fail.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

The first response is to do nothing. Many people let it fly, because they don't know what to do.

The other typical response is call and complain. It's shows an inability to keep emotions in check and act business like.

The business response is for the applicant to call 10-15 minutes after the scheduled time. Then say in a non-emotional tone of voice, "We have a phone interview scheduled at 2:00 pm. I am checking in, since I have not heard from you. Would you like to speak now or reschedule?" If nobody answers, you can leave a simliar voice mail.

I always try the business response and get a permanent letdown (we filled the job) or more often than not they won't pick up their phone or return the voicemail.

I even had one where they did that to me 3 times in a row.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:08 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
it's cruddy, and (usually, unless there was a true emergency that prevented them from letting you know they had to reschedule or cancel) rude, but it's a fact of life, and i don't think you should take it personally.

all you can do is what move4ward said and move on if it doesn't get results.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it's cruddy, and (usually, unless there was a true emergency that prevented them from letting you know they had to reschedule or cancel) rude, but it's a fact of life, and i don't think you should take it personally.

all you can do is what move4ward said and move on if it doesn't get results.
I am just a little bit freaked out about it. I never get that locally in the DC area and have had far more interviews here. Sure some of them haven't been great, but everyone has showed up. Whenever I phone interview in Florida, that is when this happens.

I've learned NEVER EVER complain about it because you will never hear from that company again.

My worst one was where they stood me up twice. I told the recruiter that 2x was enough after having this happen to me in the past.

The recruiter wrote me like a 5 page email convincing me to give them another chance.

I gave the company another chance and they never called.

About 2 days later (and without my even asking) I get a one liner email from the recruiter saying that I didn't get the job because I wasn't qualified. WTH?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
OKAY never mind, read that wrong.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I've had that happen.
First two times were confirmed and they were no shows. The third time, I told the recruiter the day I was available but never received a time confirmation from her. Well, the hiring manager called on the day I specified but at an odd time like 2:07. I was in a meeting and couldn't take the call but by then I was already fed up. I sent an email to the recruiter to request that my application be taken out of consideration for the position.
I don't know if the company is just disorganized or if they really don't care about the applicant's time, because they figure you're looking for a job and they can treat you anyway they want. First time, I understand because people can get busy. Second time, ok. But three times?!?! Third time, I feel, is just disrespectful.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

I do what you suggest and here's what I have found. If they are that quick to blow you off you aren't their top pick at all. So yes it's good to do and in reality they probably already decided you are a backup candidate.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks for your thoughts all. Don't worry, I am not really stressed out about it. Just making some conversation. It is proving difficult though.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 AM

300 posts, read 1,136,726 times
I've had this done before to me. Bottom line don't tolerate it from employers and if you still want to consider them than take into consideration they didn't show up to the phone interviewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search