Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:39 PM

21 posts, read 28,384 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female looking to move to a decent place in the Greater Cincinnati area. I checked out a place today; I love the building, but I'm wondering why the rent is a little bit on what I consider the cheaper side for that area (in the 500s with some utilities included). I'm new in town so I could be wrong. Any pointers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times
I grew up on Cemetery Rd in Milford. You literally walk down the hill and i lived on the road by McDonalds and LaRosa's. So I know the area like the back of my hand. Lived there 18yrs.

Is it safe? Yes. You could leave your apartment windows open and unlocked, no one will try to get you in the dark of the night. Can you walk around during the day and night alone? Yes! Its actually pretty darn quiet around there because everything has been built up on 28 and 131 so the traffic and people are far less than they use to be. Youre in walking distance to old Milford, which has AWESOME shops. You can walk to Kroger for groceries. At the bottom of the hill is a bus stop that will take you towards downtown, it runs every hour or so. McDonalds has been there as long as i can remember, along with LaBullBoxer31. You will always find Police at LaBullBoxer31 eating.

So yes Milford is VERY safe. The only reason we moved is because Cemetery became impossible to pull out of driveway wise (because everyone trying to cut down to Findlay Park (near Walmart and the Movies). My dad had our house since the 80s and we moved in 2004. My BFFs sister bought our house so its in good hands.

ETA: The price in the 500s is typical of Eastside cincy.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:35 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,082 times
i'm really beginning to see milford as a hidden gem. i noticed you can buy a house within walking distance of the downtown district for way less than $150k.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Milford is extremely safe and the police force is very present.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i'm really beginning to see milford as a hidden gem. i noticed you can buy a house within walking distance of the downtown district for way less than $150k.
I'd have to agree. If I had to move to Eastside Cincy for a job in Clermont Co, for instance, Milford would definitely be near the top of the list!

Old 08-02-2014, 08:02 AM

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the swift, helpful responses. I
Now, I realized that the commute is no joke... it took me 45 minutes to go check out the place after work (from the Sharonville area). I realized that would be my daily commute and I'm not sure I'm too willing to do it. Does anyone else do that lengthy commute, and how do you survive it?

I've only been in OH for about a month so I've got lots of questions. Cincinnati is very different from the other areas wher I've lived - you can have a lovely, quaint stretch of homes one minute and a scarier street the next, all within the same area. What areas would you recommend closer to where I work? I'm checking out a place in Deer Park today, which is a much easier commute, but it's right on Plainfield Rd, which... feels more like a "Main Street" address to me, and I don't know how comfortable I am with lots of traffic watching me getting into my building. Help...?

Old 08-02-2014, 09:11 AM

245 posts, read 333,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearliepearl View Post
Now, I realized that the commute is no joke... it took me 45 minutes to go check out the place after work (from the Sharonville area). I realized that would be my daily commute and I'm not sure I'm too willing to do it. Does anyone else do that lengthy commute, and how do you survive it?

I've only been in OH for about a month so I've got lots of questions. Cincinnati is very different from the other areas wher I've lived - you can have a lovely, quaint stretch of homes one minute and a scarier street the next, all within the same area. What areas would you recommend closer to where I work? I'm checking out a place in Deer Park today, which is a much easier commute, but it's right on Plainfield Rd, which... feels more like a "Main Street" address to me, and I don't know how comfortable I am with lots of traffic watching me getting into my building. Help...?
Personally, I would never live on the 'main drag' of any area. Getting in and out of your own driveway can be a major hassle.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:31 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,214 times
Quote:

Deer Park is generally a pretty nice area, and I think it's WAY more convenient to a lot of things than Milford. You should be able to find something in that area on a quieter street if you think that would be more comfortable. I doubt if the traffic is that much of a security issue, though.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 PM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Taking backroads ought to save a little bit of time, but Sharonville to Milford is definitely a case of "can't get there from here".

Years ago, I commuted from Lebanon to Batavia - 37.7 miles one way, 45-50 minutes each way. In the pre-compact disc days, I listened to music and books on tape; if I bought a new album, I'd transfer it to a cassette tape and could listen to the whole thing on my way to work.

Quote:
I've only been in OH for about a month so I've got lots of questions. Cincinnati is very different from the other areas wher I've lived - you can have a lovely, quaint stretch of homes one minute and a scarier street the next, all within the same area.
That's part of Cincinnati's charm. Honestly. It also helps to prevent the less fortunate and their neighborhoods from being swept under the rug, despite the city leaders' best efforts.

Quote:
What areas would you recommend closer to where I work? I'm checking out a place in Deer Park today, which is a much easier commute, but it's right on Plainfield Rd, which... feels more like a "Main Street" address to me, and I don't know how comfortable I am with lots of traffic watching me getting into my building. Help...?
Plainfield Road is a little busy, but it's not unsafe. Deer Park is pretty solid, so if you like the area, keep looking. There are plenty of apartment buildings in Deer Park and vicinity; Dillonvale, directly to the north of Deer Park, is another place to consider. Dillonvale isn't an actual town; it's a neighborhood within Sycamore Township.

If you like the idea of Milford - small town, apart from the city - take a look at Loveland. It's closer to Sharonville, although I don't know what the rents are like these days.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Thanks, all. You guys are amazing. I unfortunately didn't like any of the places I looked at in Deer Park . A few more might call me back during the week. I don't know how people can show some of these apartments. I have checked out Loveland, but it's above my budget, along with Mason and Blue Ash (1 br in the $900s type of thing). What kind of area is Cheviot? I see a place available off Harrison Ave. What about some of the complexes in Mt. Healthy? I've been told the Mt. Healthy school district sucks, and I saw a thread from a couple of years ago advising to tread carefully, but what's it like in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati