Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:11 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamonkey View Post
It is a good chart. But it also doesn't include Michelob, Natural Light, Natural Ice, Busch Light, Busch Ice, and anything else made by MillerCoors. All of those sales are down too I think though ... Craft beer is definitely growing while macros are shrinking. I'm hoping this pace keeps up. But I wouldn't overlook the big guys. They're making good investments - AB buying Goose Island and Blue Point for example. I was at the airport the other day and a guy at the bar was dogging on AB while drinking a Goose Island IPA. Pretty sure he didn't know AB is currently brewing the beer he was drinking.

I'm heading to Cincy for house-hunting trip in a few weeks. I've already been to Rhinegeist. Which should be the next one to visit? There's one out in the Loveland area isn't there?
Yeah, MillerCoors has some really decent products out on the market. Batch19 pre-prohibition beer, Killian's, Redd's Apple Ale.... and personally I'm a huge fan of Miller High Life.

As for which breweries, maybe Mt. Carmel and Christian Morelin? If you're headed up towards Dayton, I could give you a lot better advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 06:21 AM

152 posts, read 187,033 times
I really enjoy Eight Ball attached to the back end of the Partysource. In addition to their own beers, they have over thirty more craft beers on tap from around the world that you can sample and buy a growler. Did I mention they have free popcorn?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:42 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
cincydave8 - good chart. however, we also shouldn't forget that Budweiser does not equal all macro brews. The Light lager segment has been eating away at the standard lager segment for years. Bud light ships almost 40 million barrels a year, which is tripel (pun) the entire craft beer segment. It is decreasing in sales, too, but at nowhere near the rate of regular Budweiser.Although that number is going down as well.
Yeah like I said, Bud and MillerCoors spill more beer than the microbrewers produce. But what that chart shows is why Bud seems to feel the need to go after micro in their new ads.

I do want to say that I don't care what anyone drinks whether PBR, Busch, some crazy beer from Dogfish or a red wine.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:42 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I had been on the Bud Light kick for several years, seems like most of my buddies my age were too. I would alternate at times with Miller Lite, Coors light, etc., but then back to Bud Light. Once in awhile I would get a hankering for a Killian's Irish Red but that didn't last long.

Then Yuengling expanded distribution to this area. Beer like I remember it used to taste. Haven't had a light in I don't know how long now.

It is my belief the micro brews will trample on each other. Haven't had one yet I can say really appealed to me. Sort of like my grandfather's homemade wine, we drank it because it gave us a buzz, but far as being good - no. Grandfather made wine out of anything, dandelions he usually picked up by the railroad tracks, blackberries I remember getting tons of chiggers when we went to pick them, potatoes, anything he could find out how to ferment.

That is what most of the micro brew beers remind me of, make it because you can. Is it different? - sure, the question is whether it is really good. I will not argue that point, just say my pocketbook will not pay the price for most of them. Not when I can afford Yuengling, a beer which is satisfying to me.

I find it extremely interesting the big boys are buying micro breweries. Of course that is chicken feed to them. Join the gang, run it to conclusion and milk the proceeds, then shut it down. How many other fads have gone this course?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Braxton Brewing is opening in Covington soon. The local beer bloggers on twitter have been making a big deal out of this place. Funded through kickstarter.

Article in todays paper:
Braxton Brewing announces opening date

Old 03-06-2015, 10:50 AM

124 posts, read 138,253 times
Sure, micro breweries are exploding all over the nation but I dont see it slowing down anytime soon. The market will eventually settle down after a while when it gets too saturated. The American public has been denied variety in beer since prohibition. Bud-Miller-Coors' market "success" has everything to do with the history of prohibition, and how legalization came only with heavy legal regulation which enabled the market to be completely dominated by two or three mega-companies, for generations. In this case the degree to which 'economic success' is tied to political influence is especially egregious. What is interesting (and hopeful) is that in the last few years we are actually seeing a shift take place. Against the dominant economic trends of local businesses being swallowed up by multinationals the beer market is actually moving in the opposite direction. With the explosion of craft breweries we see actual innovation, community-oriented business, and increasing diversity. This 'healthy' trend is of course being attacked by the multinationals like Bud, Miller, Coors through litigation, political pressure, and deception. AB has even sued small breweries over unsubstatiated claims to drive them out of business. They make tacky ads during the Super Bowl that are not only false but hypocritical (they own a brewery that makes Pumkin-Peach !!) They are trying to get Brew Masters pulled from the Discovery Channel by cutting all ad money. This doesn't surprise me, but it does frustrate me, especially since the manner in which they are doing it in the commercial is through deception.

With that said, a lot of beer drinkers I know think its either Bud Light or some crazy fruity dark expensive beer. If you like Pilsners and Lager's then fine. Try some well made ones. I like White Castle but that doesnt mean every burger in the world is a slider or a $15 goat cheese and spinach farm raised beef patty.

Last edited by TeacherinTN; 03-06-2015 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati