Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 PM

8 posts, read 10,939 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to tbe union area. We currently live in Portland OR. I have never been there. Can anyone fill me in on schools,areas to live, fun things to do, ect. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellejean12 View Post
My family is relocating to tbe union area. We currently live in Portland OR. I have never been there. Can anyone fill me in on schools,areas to live, fun things to do, ect. Thank you
Union KY is about 17 miles south of Cincinnati. There is quite a bit of newer subdivision development in the area which is quite nice. Don't know much about the local schools.

If you want to consider another place to live, look at Fort Michell. It is much closer to Cincinnati, about 12 miles north of Union, is naturally older, but has a variety of housing and the schools are highly rated.

I consider NKY, which this is part of, as basically the working man's living area. Not a lot of frills. Cincinnati picks off most of the upper tier restaurants, etc. and entertainment.

There are some nice places right along the Ohio River, the Newport Aquarium, Newport On The Levee entertainment complex, Covington Mainstasse Village. As noted these are all right on the Ohio River and designed to draw people from Cincinnati also.

KY is a highly outdoor activity oriented state. A beautiful system of state parks plus some national forests like the Daniel Boone National Forest and the Land-Between-the-Lakes down between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. Inland lake boating is high on the list of things to do. Several of my friends in Mason, well north of Cincinnati, have boats they haul down to a KY lake in the spring, leave them in a marina there, and haul back home for the winter. By the time they consider their investment in the boat plus the marina fees to dock it, they are down at the boat almost every weekend during the summer. Otherwise they feel like they are wasting a lot of money, which they are.

It has been quite a while since I have been to Portland. Even then it was not so much I had been to Portland, but through Portland on a Delta flight from Cincinnati to Japan. I enjoyed those trips since if we booked business class on the international flight from Portland to Toykyo, we got a free first class upgrade on the domestic flight from Cincinnati to Portland. Just had to book early as they ran out of first class quickly.

I know Portland is on a river, as is Cincinnati. Other than that I think the resemblance stops.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 AM

245 posts, read 333,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellejean12 View Post
Union is one of the fastest growing areas in Kentucky. That can bring on problems on it's own if not properly planned. Things seem to be changing so quickly it's hard to keep up. If you do end up there check out Big Bone Lick State Park, The Dinsmore Homestead, and of course, Rabbit Hash.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
If you are living in Portland city limits, Union is not comparable. Within KY, Ft. Thomas or Covington would be most similar.

That being said, Union (along with Ft. Mitchell et. al. in that school district) is probably NKY's premier suburbia.

Do you have any specific living requirements? Hobbies you like? What's the most important criteria for your move? What can't you live without, and what would you like to have?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:32 PM

OP ... What do you want out of Union?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 14,630 times
Michelle, I live in Union and I can tell you that it is a great place to live if you don't mind a 20-25 minute drive to Cincinnati and a 10-15 minute drive to the closest restaurants, shopping, etc. which are located in Florence. We are convenient to Cincinnati but we still retain our 'country' feel.

These are some exciting times for such a small town, as Union is experiencing some pretty fast growth and could become a totally different town in the next 10 years. If you've looked into the city of Union, you may have seen their plans for a new town center http://www.uniontowncenterky.org. While there hasn't been any physical progress yet, that will become the closest 'hub' if it gets completed.

I have heard great things about our public school system, and if you're interested in private schools, they're very plentiful in this area.
Depending on your budget for housing, I would highly recommend Triple Crown Country Club as a place to live. We have homes here ranging from around $250k to upwards of $3 million just in this neighborhood alone. We are a golf community & everyone here is very friendly. Harmony is also a pretty popular, more tight-knit community just up the road with homes starting around $180k.

Welcome to the city!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM

Glad to hear we will soon be calling Union Ky, Indian Hill South. The Triple Crown Country Club just may be able to say they are equivalent of the Heritage Club in Mason Ohio. But see neither one has ever sponsored a golf tournament of any prestige. That is what makes a golf club. The first one which comes to mind is Augusta National which has a little tournament called the Masters.

If you can't sponsor an actual golf tournament, then the golf course is just dressing on an expensive piece of real estate.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 PM

7 posts, read 14,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Glad to hear we will soon be calling Union Ky, Indian Hill South. The Triple Crown Country Club just may be able to say they are equivalent of the Heritage Club in Mason Ohio. But see neither one has ever sponsored a golf tournament of any prestige. That is what makes a golf club. The first one which comes to mind is Augusta National which has a little tournament called the Masters.

If you can't sponsor an actual golf tournament, then the golf course is just dressing on an expensive piece of real estate.
Sorry, I was not aware that this was a competition to see who had the best golf course and which neighborhood was the most prestigious in all of Cincinnati. But clearly you must just be here to argue with anyone you can, as I've already observed that you aren't very liked on this forum.

The problem with your arguments are that the OP was asking about the area of Union, KY. Not Indian Hill, not Mason, OH. Being familiar with the area, I suggested the best places to live here. I said good things about my neighborhood because I love where I live, and would recommend it to anyone. It has a lot of home varieties for all different kinds of people, and that is why it was the first neighborhood I suggested.

I never said Union would be called "Indian Hill South", because it never will. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want it to. I know of dozens of places that I'd rather live, and I'm not quite sure why you're so keen on it. Every post you've directed at me has had a mention of Indian Hill, and I really don't know why.

I find it quite shallow that you think a golf course has to host big golf tournaments to be anything noteworthy. However, I think it's a plus that you can walk out the door and be on the golf course in a matter of seconds.

As a side note, I'll quote from TCCC's website: "Our 18 hole, par 72 Gene Bates Championship designed golf course is a jewel. Golf Digest has consistently ranked the course in the Top Ten Golf Courses in the State of Kentucky and the Business Courier has rated TCCC the most difficult course in Greater Cincinnati." -- but, you know, I guess it's just a dressing on our expensive piece of real estate.

Last edited by jaupuc; 08-05-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

You sound very jealous of Triple Crown....

Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post

You sound very jealous of Triple Crown....
Oh certainly I am extremely jealous of Triple Crown - NOT! I live in Mason and the Heritage Club can match Triple Crown in every way, including the prestige houses surrounding the course. And right across Butler Warren County Line Rd from Heritage is another country club - Four Bridges. And a short drive west across I-75 is Wetherington Golf and County Club, a gated community. So I am so jealous of Union, for what reason?

Oh, and we have a few other attractions out here in Mason, one called Kings Island.

I feel the development around Union Ky has been very strong and will continue to be so. It has been a rapidly developing area, hopefully with some degree of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati