Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hamilton County commissioners unanimously voted Wednesday to sponsor a potential Cincinnati-to-Chicago high-speed rail project and ask the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments to fund a feasibility study for it.
?Hamilton County commissioners want Cincinnati-Chicago high-speed rail study - Cincinnati Business Courier

Really looking forward to this and hope it happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Here comes this fantasy again. Studies are cheap and make it appear the politiceans are doing something. But in reality it is just smoke and mirrors. Until there is an identified way to fund these ideas, other than sales tax increases, they sinply will not happen.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
I'd use it.

Heck, if all goes well, I might have an interview up that way soon. Having a train take me there would be awesome (especially considering Oxford would likely get a stop). I could get a ton done on the way. Or just screw around on City-Data haha.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:02 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Even sending more regular passenger trains to Chicago through than the single one during the wee hours would be an improvement which isn't likely to be realized any time soon. Re-elect Kasich and it will take longer still - he who rejected federal funding for a "3-C" train, and yanked it for the Cincinnati streetcar so that the route had to be cut back to the Banks/Findlay Market circuit.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I'd use it.

Heck, if all goes well, I might have an interview up that way soon. Having a train take me there would be awesome (especially considering Oxford would likely get a stop). I could get a ton done on the way. Or just screw around on City-Data haha.
OK, so that's at least a one-way ride on the Cinci-Chicago ''high-speed'' train; because after you take your one-way ride, you'll want to fly back, especially if Amtrak is ruining it, I mean running it.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
OK, it's not feasible, case closed, Just saved $150,000.00.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Even sending more regular passenger trains to Chicago through than the single one during the wee hours would be an improvement which isn't likely to be realized any time soon. Re-elect Kasich and it will take longer still - he who rejected federal funding for a "3-C" train, and yanked it for the Cincinnati streetcar so that the route had to be cut back to the Banks/Findlay Market circuit.
Does anyone know how much this would cost to build, maintain and subsidize? This is rail fantasy. It would exist, as it once did, if it were truly needed. Getting Americans out of there cars to use local transit is tough enough; getting them out of their cars and airplanes for train rides to Chicago in sufficient numbers to support this is impossible.

By the way, any ideas on the cost of a round-trip ticket, Cinci - Chi, on this high-speed train?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,460 times
Not feasible? If it's not feasible now it will never be. 20 year from now $20 billion. 50 years from now $50 billion. 100 years from now $100 billion.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:51 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Yeah, it won't be done before I leave college. No way there. But if was an option, I'd use it.

and Kamms - A number of corridors are run by Amtrak and seem to be doing well. I think maybe you are associating Amtrak with the long train trips across the west and the like. The days of cross-country train travel may be gone, but during the day? I think it can work.

Especially to Chicago. Once you get through security, check your bags, get on a flight, land in Chicago, find your bags, and figure out a way to get downtown, you've already drained 5 hours. That's equivalent to driving. Or better yet, taking a train, where at least you can work while you travel and you can prevent putting more wear on your vehicle.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Yeah, it won't be done before I leave college. No way there. But if was an option, I'd use it.

and Kamms - A number of corridors are run by Amtrak and seem to be doing well. I think maybe you are associating Amtrak with the long train trips across the west and the like. The days of cross-country train travel may be gone, but during the day? I think it can work.

Especially to Chicago. Once you get through security, check your bags, get on a flight, land in Chicago, find your bags, and figure out a way to get downtown, you've already drained 5 hours. That's equivalent to driving. Or better yet, taking a train, where at least you can work while you travel and you can prevent putting more wear on your vehicle.
I lived in Chicago for many years and used trains, planes and automobiles in travelling to and from Chicago to Ohio. Best rankings: plane, car, bus and lastly, the train. Amtrak, outside of the Northeast Corridor, is a disaster.

Long, time consuming security checks are a myth; yes, lines can be long, but they move pretty quick. Airports in Chicago have direct rail transit to the Loop ($2.25 one-way) Blue Line out of O'Hare/Orange out of Midway (not hard to figure out). Or, depending on traffic, a cab into downtown.

What corridors are actually doing well as opposed the ones that ''seem'' to be doing well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati