Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 11:37 AM

112 posts, read 166,373 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Cincy area from Texas (originally from Dayton). I'm certified to teach theatre, speech, journalism, and business. What are good districts for me to apply to? I don't want inner-city schools. Also, I have horses and would like to live in the country a bit. Best areas? For both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 04:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Hi, I'm sorry no one has been by to comment yet. I'll try to help out.

The honest truth is that teaching jobs are hard to come by in Ohio. It's a very tough market, especially for someone who is not already certified in Ohio or coming straight out of college.

So probably the issue will be WHO will hire you rather than where you can live. If you have a job in hand, then we'll be able to better help.

Otherwise, if you are not able to find a teaching job in the area, the best thing you can probably do is start crafting a strategy so you could teach as an adjunct professor at a local community college like Cincy State or UC - Raymond Walters. Adjuncts don't make a ton, but it'll be a good way to get your foot in the door and give you some working experience in OH before transitioning to a (I assume) local High School. Also, if you are Catholic, or even just slightly Catholic, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start going to mass regularly. A good recommendation from a church could go a long way towards getting a job at one of the many Catholic HS locally which enjoy much fame.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2014, 05:11 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
As a 17 year veteran teacher, who went to college and then taught in Ohio before moving to teach in NM last year, I'll tell you right now that the SW and West, where you are from, is where you oughta stay, unless you are coming to Cincy for a specific reason.
Here in rural NM for example, positions go unfilled all year, in subjects like social studies and PE that would have 100 applicants for the same job in Ohio. We have to use subs to fill the spot all year....and sometimes their aren't even enough subs! So different out here compared to Ohio.
Dozens of schools all around Ohio crank out freshly minted graduates in education every May, and there are dozens of quality applicants for every job. With your subjects, good luck, to put it bluntly.
One option with your unique and varied certification is the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction (ODRC), and nearby Warren County has two prisons that hire teachers for GED classes. I did that for the State for 16 years before I moved last year to get my wife closer to her mother. Thought I'd do it for a while till a high school job came open, and I liked it so much I stayed. And by the way, best insurance program of any teacher in the state. Great union benefits also. Pay equal to public schools. And with your creative certification, you'll definitely be marketable for a bunch of guys getting ready to go home that need help with writing and public speaking skills. I like my new HS students, but teaching adults sure cuts down on the teenaged drama.
I still have a friend that teaches horticulture at WCI in Warren County. The guys do some great things there.......and lots of funds available for the programming.
And I've never had a more rewarding job, for the obvious reasons.
Don't know if the WCI or LeCI facilities have openings, but it couldn't hurt to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: