Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,799 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
Moving out in June with my fiance who will be working at Cincy Children's. Have received a lot of great detail regarding areas to live through this board, so thank you.

We'll be out next Thursday to stay for a few days and finally look at communities/ homes.

We had a commuting question to really confirm if we should be only looking in certain areas.

Ideally, we want a <20 min drive for her to work into downtown/ Corryville.

We are looking at mt. adams, eden park, oakley, hyde park. Also clifton was thrown in the mix.

There are a ton of nice townhomes around the Blue ash area but we were unsure of the commute during peak work hours.

Was hoping for some guidance on where our limit should be, north, south, east and west of the hospital. (Saw a high rise in price hill that looked like it was worth a drive by, not sure if it should be considered)

thank you so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 12:56 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Blue Ash, in 20 minutes, would be easy in the middle of the night (what's your fiance's schedule?) but nearly impossible at peak times. I sort of consider it the northern limit if you want a somewhat sensible commute to uptown or downtown. Blue Ash is a suburban city whereas the other areas you mentioned are city neighborhoods.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbg25 View Post
Hello All,
Moving out in June with my fiance who will be working at Cincy Children's. Have received a lot of great detail regarding areas to live through this board, so thank you.

We'll be out next Thursday to stay for a few days and finally look at communities/ homes.

We had a commuting question to really confirm if we should be only looking in certain areas.

We are looking at mt. adams, eden park, oakley, hyde park. Also clifton was thrown in the mix.

There are a ton of nice townhomes around the Blue ash area but we were unsure of the commute during peak work hours.

Was hoping for some guidance on where our limit should be, north, south, east and west of the hospital. (Saw a high rise in price hill that looked like it was worth a drive by, not sure if it should be considered)

thank you so much in advance!!
Don't go too far from the hospital. If she will be working at Children's take a good hard look at Pleasant Ridge. Short commute to Children's, very accomplishable by bus. Stay by the main bus routes, will give you much more feedom.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Quote:
Hello All,

Hyde Park and Oakley will be right at 10 to 20 minutes along Madison Road during rush hour. Depends on how many cars are taking left turns. Mt Adams/Eden Park probably 10 minutes or less. Clifton would be less than 10 minutes. You could walk from biz district on Ludlow to Children's in 10 minutes.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:29 PM

thanks for the reply's so far.. She'll be working weird hours and sometimes middle of the night so it'll be a mix of everything. We're from Philly so we're no strangers to city living, but safety is paramount for her coming and going so walking and bus would have to be a perfect alignment of her schedule and getting done work at a resonable time.
Sounds like our gameplan is on point and we shouldn't stray too far. What about price hill? Seems fairly close, but more highways involved.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
thanks for the reply's so far.. She'll be working weird hours and sometimes middle of the night so it'll be a mix of everything. We're from Philly so we're no strangers to city living, but safety is paramount for her coming and going so walking and bus would have to be a perfect alignment of her schedule and getting done work at a resonable time.
Sounds like our gameplan is on point and we shouldn't stray too far. What about price hill? Seems fairly close, but more highways involved.
You don't want her to be walking or waiting for a bus AT ALL around Children's in the middle of the night. Unless there's some kind of bus stop I'm not aware of directly at the door where she could wait inside.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
I think the OP is looking in the right spots, but I would disregard Blue Ash if the OP is in their 20's and no kids.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
My ex wife and I had a very similar situation a few years back. We ended up renting a house in Oakley. I would definitely not buy a house in Cincinnati without living here a few years first. You need to find out where you fit. Like minded people tend to congregate in certain areas, and you don't enough to know where that is yet.

If you have your heart set on buying immediately, I would not take a chance on a transitional neighborhood. Cincinnati is full of streets with beautiful houses that look quiet during the day but then get dangerous at night. A colleague of mine found that out the hard way in Avondale.

Price Hill has some upside, but I would not buy a house there without a year or two of scouting the neighborhood. Unlike big cities, the price of real estate is very reasonable, and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a nice house on a nice street. Just about every neighborhood in the city is affordable for a dual income professional household, so you can buy or rent where you want to live rather than just where you can afford to live.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM

Yeah, we are definitely renting. Threw around the idea of buying but it's not worth it going in blind. We'll also only be there for a few years and it's just not worth the hassle.
thanks for the info!

Old 03-28-2015, 07:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Yeah, we are definitely renting. Threw around the idea of buying but it's not worth it going in blind. We'll also only be there for a few years and it's just not worth the hassle.
thanks for the info!
If you consider this a transitionary move, by all means rent. And rent where you are close to your respective places of employment. I can't understand all the hysteria concerning catching a bus at Children's late at night. It is a highly respected hospital, not a prison. Maybe that is why I am content in the exurbs. If Cincinnati cannot make the area around Children's safe to navigate in at any time of the day, they are doing something horribly wrong. A world class hospital but you are gambling your life coming and going? Come on people we need to do better at solidifying our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati