Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:56 AM

7 posts, read 15,387 times

Advertisements

At the end of her article, Fatima says (of her younger generation), "We’re the big fish in the little pond, the underdogs and misfits that are giants in a place that needs us. You couldn’t get the opportunities to shine in a bigger city where millennials flock for a cooler music scene or better shopping." I think her comment about opportunities for her generation (in Cincinnati area) is spot on.

I'm in my 40's - so not a millennial - but I do live right next to downtown Austin, a well-known hotspot for millennials. The tech industry is a major draw for the younger generation (and non U.S. immigrants) to Austin, specifically those who specialize in the tech field. I'm not at all intending to sound down on the younger generation (they don't typically get the good credit they deserve), but in the city of Austin pretty much wherever I go (no exaggeration) I am the oldest person in the crowd. I can certainly see how Fatima feels there is more opportunity to stand out (as a younger person) in Cincinnati. One reason Cincinnati metro may not be a big draw to the millennials is because it seems to have more traditional industries.

…On a side note, I am excited to say that my husband and I are relocating to the Cincinnati area (Covington, KY) in a month and plan to make this our forever home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 01:51 PM

410 posts, read 587,205 times
Welcome Cathleen! You are going to find lots of great things to do in Cincinnati. And I promise, you won't be the oldest one out and about.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:16 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This article seems to be a lot of the groupthink you see these days.

Yes, there are certain hot markets that Millenials are flocking to - Denver, Seattle, Austin, etc. Almost all of these places are far bigger than Cincinnati, and almost all are more expensive, many considerably so. If you can start out at $40k-$50k out of school in Cincinnati, vs. $50k-$60k in Seattle or Austin, are you really behind? Probably not. I'm not sure I would have included Charlotte in the list of Millenial hype. I'd rather be in Charlotte than the Midwestern cities, but it's never really been at the top of these lists.

Hype feeds more hype, and I've seen plenty of threads on this board of people flocking like lemmings to major coastal or hip cities with little regard to where they'd be better off. Portland supposedly has a very tough job market. People flock where similar people are flocking.

I make abut $60k in Indy and I don't think I'd make enough in most of the major cities to account for the COL increases.

I live in Indy and I agree with WILW, to a point about the city. I do think there is a rudeness (especially on the roads) in Indy I just haven't seen in many places. Once you get out of the metro and out into the smaller towns in Indiana, people are much more reasonable.

I can't see Cincinnati having significantly different problems that other landlocked, mid-sized Midwestern metros face. I don't think people are absolutely flocking to Cleveland, Indy, St. Louis, Kansas City, etc.
And you would be wrong about Cleveland. Ohio's fastest growing and largest downtown population. Cleveland is also a top destination for higher degree holding millennials to the downtown..
Cincinnati can absolutely do the same to plan and attract a younger more educated population!
Clevelands downtown is totally changing,growing and being developed. We were the joke of the state and within 10 yrs are the model for the state regarding its downtown.
Cincinnati can absolutely encourage and attract degree holding millennial generation. Public transportation, a play-work-live and carless environment is what many want.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
And you would be wrong about Cleveland. Ohio's fastest growing and largest downtown population. Cleveland is also a top destination for higher degree holding millennials to the downtown...
It may come as a surprise, but although Cleveland may claim Ohio's fastest growing downtown population, the state's largest downtown population resides in Cincinnati. Recent estimates are Cleveland: 13,500-14,000; Cincinnati: 15,500-16,000.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...e-we-work.html

Old 09-28-2015, 06:40 AM

Downtown Cincinnati Continues to See Annual Population, Tourism Gains — UrbanCincy

Motorman, your total includes over-the-rine and Pendleton neighborhoods.. The actual Cincinnati cbd has about 6000 people.
Cleveland's cbd population is 13500 and growing fast. Adding over-the-rine would be like Cleveland adding Ohio city.
My point of commenting on this thread was to express the importance of Cincinnati to develop a 24/7 live work play vibrancy along with public transportation that the new millennials are drawn to.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 AM

nuCLEus project nabs Benesch law firm as first tenant (photos) | cleveland.com

New high rise with more apartments and condos and ground level retail/entertainment.
This will be Cleveland's 4th tallest building and Ohio's 5th tallest.
IMO Cincinnati is capable of doing something similar. Attracting the degree holding millennials is important to Cincinnati's vibrancy and growth.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:07 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Quote:

New high rise with more apartments and condos and ground level retail/entertainment.
IMO Cincinnati is capable of doing something similar. Attracting the degree holding millennials is important to Cincinnati's vibrancy and growth.
A lot of the formerly rust belt cities are doing this in their core. Detroit has had a lot of success downtown and midtown - to the point that there's a housing shortage and apartment prices have spiked sufficiently that banks are now interested in financing new rental property development.

Cincinnati needs to not just attract millenials (I would say they need to be attracting a larger age spectrum in general - as GenX is moving into the most lucrative years of their careers and many baby boomers have significant wealth in their retirement) - but they need to be able to retain the millenials they attract. Which means stopping the "have a family and move to the 'burbs". They won't do it 100%, because that pattern is still a very strong pattern. But if they can make a dent in it, it will really help the city's revival. Additionally, they need to focus on neighborhoods outside the city core. It is very apparent in Cinci which areas are the "chosen" and which are not. (The same is true of Detroit, just on a much much larger scale)

Old 09-29-2015, 06:50 AM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
Quote:

Is Cleveland really in need of a project of that scope? IMO, pure infill is much more important to a cities vitality than a mega project sky scrapper.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:57 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
Is Cleveland really in need of a project of that scope? IMO, pure infill is much more important to a cities vitality than a mega project sky scrapper.
The developers and financiers of the project would not move ahead and built unless their research indicates a market for this project.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Downtown Cincinnati Continues to See Annual Population, Tourism Gains — UrbanCincy

Motorman, your total includes over-the-rine and Pendleton neighborhoods.. The actual Cincinnati cbd has about 6000 people.
Cleveland's cbd population is 13500 and growing fast. Adding over-the-rine would be like Cleveland adding Ohio city...
Your objection to Over-the-Rhine and Pendleton being considered "downtown Cincinnati" is a familiar one often voiced by Cleveland and Columbus residents, who routinely remind everyone just how large and expansive their downtowns are in contrast. And that's fine, just as long as Cincinnati's smaller urban core is seen for what it is--a combination of three integral components that function as one.

Therefore, to enter Ohio City to Cleveland would be tantamount to adding either Covington or Newport, KY to Cincinnati (after all, only a river runs between them). Or, consider that to eat and drink at lunchtime in downtown Cincy, countless business people (especially dozens of Kroger employees) merely walk just across the street from the "CBD" into "OTR."

Once again, there are now an estimated 16,000 residents within this Cincinnati "downtown" maybe only half the size of either that Cleveland or Columbus. Here, our own subjective personal impressions will undoubtedly determine what we conclude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati