Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,122 times

Advertisements

I am looking for more suburban housing to rent. Don't want to buy yet need to get comfortable with the areas prior to purchasing. I want a rental range between 850-1200 mo for rent. I am not so concerned with a 30 min commute to/from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breantae View Post
I am looking for more suburban housing to rent. Don't want to buy yet need to get comfortable with the areas prior to purchasing. I want a rental range between 850-1200 mo for rent. I am not so concerned with a 30 min commute to/from work.
To reiterate several concerns already posed; first on what you might describe as suburban housing, second on what you would consider an acceptable commute to/from work...

As already mentioned, several of Cincinnati's close-in neighborhoods might not appear to be "suburban" (Hyde Park and Oakley), but actually they are two walkable, safe, and prestigious central-city neighborhoods closely aligned to each other and to the city's core. For all purposes, Hyde Park/Oakley reside within Cincinnati's epicenter of resurgent retail shopping; at this very moment hundreds of new apartments are being constructed here to meet the need for housing.

Nothing exceptionally bad to say about either outlying West Chester or Springdale - except for just one thing, I-75. Why would anyone whose job will be at GE @ The Banks hobble themselves with such a highway as this? Yes, you can complete your drive to work in 30-minutes on paper; however, the day-to-day reality will be unpredictably different, varying from the tedious and tiresome to the horrendous and frightful. As much as I-75 has been a boon to metro Cincinnati overall, it also remains one of this region's worst nightmares, especially at the infamous Brent Spence Bridge across the Ohio River. It would to your advantage to avoid this notorious expressway (one of the nation's busiest commercial corridors) before it tears up your car, your mind, and your life and sickens you to an otherwise wonderful city.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:12 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
There are nice suburban areas off I-75 in N KY there would be within 7 miles of downtown. If you don't want urban look outside of Covington in areas like Ft Wright and Ft Mitchell. The area around Cold Spring KY has good options too, that are I-471 and I-275.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are nice suburban areas off I-75 in N KY there would be within 7 miles of downtown. If you don't want urban look outside of Covington in areas like Ft Wright and Ft Mitchell. The area around Cold Spring KY has good options too, that are I-471 and I-275.
Agreed, and I hope that the OP considers these NKY communities so near her workplace. (and especially Ft.Thomas, one of Kentucky's most charming, prestigious addresses) And Covington or Newport, oh yes - in a perfect world either of them could serve as GE's "backyard."

Sadly to say, however, in this world there will always be the river crossing to deal with. On the best of days, not bad at all; on the worst of days, nearly impossible. And the culprit? Same as it ever was, I-75, the equal-opportunity expressway that so benefits and besets metro Cincy. What happens on I-75 anywhere just north or south of the Brent Spence Bridge (whether through construction, accident, or inclement weather) influences what happens on every other bridge in the area.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:50 AM

610 posts, read 796,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed, and I hope that the OP considers these NKY communities so near her workplace. (and especially Ft.Thomas, one of Kentucky's most charming, prestigious addresses) And Covington or Newport, oh yes - in a perfect world either of them could serve as GE's "backyard."

Sadly to say, however, in this world there will always be the river crossing to deal with. On the best of days, not bad at all; on the worst of days, nearly impossible. And the culprit? Same as it ever was, I-75, the equal-opportunity expressway that so benefits and besets metro Cincy. What happens on I-75 anywhere just north or south of the Brent Spence Bridge (whether through construction, accident, or inclement weather) influences what happens on every other bridge in the area.
I always think that people who want a suburban feel and work downtown should look at Fort Thomas. Safe, walkable, great schools, strong community feel, nice parks. Plus 471 isn't bad for traffic and if it is, you can always take the Taylor-Southgate Bridge.

OP...there are a lots of great places to rent in Fort Thomas, assuming you're okay with living KY (and yes, lots of people are not). I'd also look at Anderson Township for a nice suburban feel and an easy commute downtown.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:58 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
With all the great things going on in Blue Ash and Montgomery, I'd recommend Charleston at Blue Ash apartments right off Ronald Reagan Highway. I lived there for a year. Lots of young people and a good pool scene.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
I always think that people who want a suburban feel and work downtown should look at Fort Thomas. Safe, walkable, great schools, strong community feel, nice parks. Plus 471 isn't bad for traffic and if it is, you can always take the Taylor-Southgate Bridge.

OP...there are a lots of great places to rent in Fort Thomas, assuming you're okay with living KY (and yes, lots of people are not)...
I certainly agree about Ft. Thomas; it's one of NKY's classiest communities and the envy of many other communities on both sides of the river.

As you implied, because of its location along a high ridge-line, Ft. Thomas feels suburban enough, almost like a picturesque village isolated from the less fortunate world below. But that's only an illusion. Just down Grand Avenue or Memorial Parkway from this affluent hilltop enclave pops up Newport's retail shopping and entertainment, along with easy access to the Taylor-Southgate Bridge into Cincinnati.
Quote:
...I'd also look at Anderson Township for a nice suburban feel and an easy commute downtown.
While I agree that Anderson Township will offer the OP numerous suburban amenities, I'm hesitant to fully recommend it for someone who will be working at GE @ The Banks.

Although Anderson Township is closer to Cincinnati's core than is either West Chester or Springdale, it still necessitates driving the Beechmont Ave to either Eastern Ave or Columbia Parkway (not recommended) or the quicker I-275/I-471 hookup into downtown (recommended with reservation).

The problem with the dual-expressway combo is that it entails leaving Ohio, entering Kentucky, then crossing back into Ohio via two major expressway bridges. Yes, in their workaday routines, hundreds of commuters do this all the time, but should this be something we recommend the OP do also? Not my call.

Last edited by motorman; 12-18-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 10:49 AM

389 posts, read 330,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post

OP...there are a lots of great places to rent in Fort Thomas, assuming you're okay with living KY (and yes, lots of people are not). I'd also look at Anderson Township for a nice suburban feel and an easy commute downtown.
I use to live just off Buttermilk PK in Ft Mitchell and work downtown. That was back around 1999. Even with the rush hour traffic it did not take long to get into downtown. I usually rode the express bus and I am thinking even with delays only about 20 minutes. Without traffic maybe 7 minutes.

If someone lived in Covington / Newport close to the river they may be able to walk to work downtown. Or at least not get on the freeway and cross one of the other bridges. I suspect those areas would be expensive though.

Here is a nice little video about that area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4yeXXSWDh4

Last edited by ms12345; 12-18-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-20-2015, 08:29 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breantae View Post
OP, not sure if you are still watching this thread, but you are in a spot where commuting to the suburbs is less than desirable. Especially with impending Brent Spence bridge construction and an increasing downtown population.

I HIGHLY recommend choosing a city neighborhood. It will be, in a sense, "suburban" because Cincinnati is a city of neighborhoods. Each one is very distinct and definitely its own entity. For instance, Hyde Park (a good choice for you) is highly differentiated from neighboring Madisonville and Evanston. You're going from one world to another between the two, and that's just within a few blocks.

If you must live in a suburb, you'll be dealing with a miserable commute no matter where you go. 75 and 71 slow to a crawl for large chunks of the working day. Your best strategy is to look west, some good surface roads can get you to I-74 and that's not a bad commute out. But that puts you in Colerain, which IMO is significantly less desirable than most anything you would find in Cincinnati city limits.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,122 times
Hi everyone..thank you so much for all the suggestions. I've seen some condos in Cleves and Harrison. I am used to taking the highway to and from work. That is not bothersome to me at all. I may look in KY as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati