Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:44 PM

29 posts, read 86,680 times

Advertisements

As a bit of a sociological and political junkie, that thread about Jerry (i.e. being quite liberal and making a name for himself in politics in the 70s and early 80s, then in local news into the early 90s) made me curious to ask, especially in a modern day context what Cincy is like?

While Ohio is (kinda) the Midwest and close to "the South", I think almost any big city will have some diversity and I'm guessing it's more the suburbs and outerlying rural areas that lean more right-wing. Even here in the SF Bay Area it's not as black and white as it might seem. Certainly not everyone is a surfer, a movie star, or a hippie (although I tend to click with all of those types, lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 05:16 AM

610 posts, read 796,395 times
Oh boy.... This could get interesting. But basically the city votes Democrat while the suburbs vote Republican.

The city is not a mecca of liberalism and currently has a conservative Democrat Mayor, but it voted 80% for Obama, hasn't had a Republican mayor for decades (Republicans rarely even run a candidate for mayor) and there are some great liberal champions on city council. Smaller liberal causes have been passed recently including living wage and paid leave for city employees, 100% rating from Human Rights Council, banning official travel to NC but we still have fights over bike lanes and mass transit that tend to turn quite political.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Agreed that the city is reliably more progressive than the suburbs..

However - the city only has about 1/4 to 1/3 the population of the entire metro area - so unless you are in the city and never leave, the overall feeling of the area leans conservative.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
I have found that most people don't really have any idea about what political ideologies are all about, but when they are forced to pick a side on a dichotomous electoral issue, they follow their perceived self interest. In Cincinnati, this translates to an urban electorate that is 'progressive' by apparent necessity: the urban population favors policies that favor a centralization of prosperity in the core and the more suburban population favors policies that promise to push urban blight back towards the center. It gets a bit more complex on social issues, but I feel that economic issues are the drivers and the social issues are along for the ride. The true underlying issues such as the balance between freedom and security, individualism vs. collectivism, and the role of the state in economic development are just invoked by either side whenever it is convenient.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:15 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
I think you would conclude that it is conservative, but like a poster said above, a lot of people everywhere, not just in Cincinnati really don't think about politics very deeply these days. It's all about what "feels good" which is how you get jokers like Jerry Springer on the Left and Donald Trump on the Right.

As far as voting, Ohio is reliably Republican everywhere except the urban centers of Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Columbus and Cleveland.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 05-28-2016 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 07:34 AM

224 posts, read 297,079 times
There may be a lot of Republicans around here, especially outside Cincinnati's city limits, but not many of them are conservative in the true sense of the word.

I went through part of the interview process for a job with Hamilton County many years ago. The interview process confirmed what was widely believed, which was the County was a hotbed for nepotism even by government employment standards. It was implied to me in no uncertain terms that I would be expected to hire some VIP's idiot nephew or another VIP's mistress whether or not they were really qualified for the position. Because of that and other things, I was sufficiently disgusted that I withdrew from the process.

So, based on that experience plus other observations, most of the "conservatives" around here are really RINOs.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:18 PM

245 posts, read 332,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I have found that most people don't really have any idea about what political ideologies are all about, but when they are forced to pick a side on a dichotomous electoral issue, they follow their perceived self interest. In Cincinnati, this translates to an urban electorate that is 'progressive' by apparent necessity: the urban population favors policies that favor a centralization of prosperity in the core and the more suburban population favors policies that promise to push urban blight back towards the center. It gets a bit more complex on social issues, but I feel that economic issues are the drivers and the social issues are along for the ride. The true underlying issues such as the balance between freedom and security, individualism vs. collectivism, and the role of the state in economic development are just invoked by either side whenever it is convenient.
Amen...

Old 06-07-2016, 06:06 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,844 times
Most republicans I know are in the closet..they preach one thing and do the same.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I think you would conclude that it is conservative, but like a poster said above, a lot of people everywhere, not just in Cincinnati really don't think about politics very deeply these days. It's all about what "feels good" which is how you get jokers like Jerry Springer on the Left and Donald Trump on the Right.

As far as voting, Ohio is reliably Republican everywhere except the urban centers of Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Columbus and Cleveland.
Athens County actually is the most liberal county in the state...of course its dominated by Ohio University.

Otherwise, this is an accurate description...it explains (along w/ Gerrymandering by the GOP controlled state legislature) why in 2012, in Ohio, Democratic Congressmen and women received 150,000 more votes than the Republicans did, but 12 Republicans and 4 Democrats were elected to the US House.

The city, especially the urban core is fairly progressive for the Midwest.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Cincinnati has more establishment Republicans than most metro areas, but I've never sensed that there are many "bitter guns and religion clingers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati