Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Some restaurants go through a number of lives. One which comes to mind is Carlo & Johnny in Montgomery operated by Jeff Ruby. I remember it from a much earlier incarnation over 50 years ago when it was the Fox & Crow, and the wife and I had our wedding reception there. It was a Saturday afternoon reception and we had to be out before the normal dinner crowd started. But it was a good time and then we adjourned to my parents house where the real party started.
A bit before my time. We went there a few times in Charley's Crab days. It was an odd place. It had a rather pretentious menu, and I always remember it being very quiet inside...like a funeral home. For upscale dining in Montgomery, I preferred Chester's Roadhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 AM

Speaking of "elder" patronage, I remember the days when the Echo in Hyde Park was still under its original ownership and it was so popular among the older folks that we actually had to stand in line with them out on the sidewalk to get in. As I recall, the big attraction in those days was that Echo served what were really nothing more than Pilsbury crescent rolls, but they were hot, fresh, and in short supply. You had to get there early or you got none!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Chesters Roadhouse was a nice place, especially in the winter when they got the fireplaces going. Was Chesters a Comisar property?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Chesters Roadhouse was a nice place, especially in the winter when they got the fireplaces going. Was Chesters a Comisar property?
It was.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Years ago, I made a business trip to visit a client in Mishiwaka, Indiana which is adjacent to South Bend, home of Notre Dame.

It took me most of the afternoon to get there, so by the time I arrived I was ready to just get some dinner and retire early. My motel was a Ramada Inn, which had an inhouse restaurant. Not being familiar with the area I decided to just stay there. Much to my susprise, when I opened the menu it had an insert proclaiming proud franchisee of Montgomery Inn Ribs. I read over the insert, it had the name and location right and the picture was what I was familiar with. So I ordered them, and was quite pleased, Montgomery Inn Ribs alright.

I heard later that the Gregory family had begun franchising to other owners, don't know how many, but became concerned about the ability to contol quality and the effect it could have on their reputation. I understood they retracted the majority of the franchisees. I think they recognized distribution through grocery stores, where they controlled the whole process, was just as lucrative.

But arriving in South Bend Indiana at the end of a tiring drive and finding Montgomery Inn Ribs at of all places a Ramada Inn is still a pleasant memory.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Years ago, I made a business trip to visit a client in Mishiwaka, Indiana which is adjacent to South Bend, home of Notre Dame.

It took me most of the afternoon to get there, so by the time I arrived I was ready to just get some dinner and retire early. My motel was a Ramada Inn, which had an inhouse restaurant. Not being familiar with the area I decided to just stay there. Much to my susprise, when I opened the menu it had an insert proclaiming proud franchisee of Montgomery Inn Ribs. I read over the insert, it had the name and location right and the picture was what I was familiar with. So I ordered them, and was quite pleased, Montgomery Inn Ribs alright.

I heard later that the Gregory family had begun franchising to other owners, don't know how many, but became concerned about the ability to contol quality and the effect it could have on their reputation. I understood they retracted the majority of the franchisees. I think they recognized distribution through grocery stores, where they controlled the whole process, was just as lucrative.

But arriving in South Bend Indiana at the end of a tiring drive and finding Montgomery Inn Ribs at of all places a Ramada Inn is still a pleasant memory.

There is a restaurant in Farmington Hills, Michigan that serves Montgomery Inn Ribs - Ginopolis on the Grill. There was another place in Plymouth, Mi that served the ribs up until last year.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Speaking of "elder" patronage, I remember the days when the Echo in Hyde Park was still under its original ownership and it was so popular among the older folks that we actually had to stand in line with them out on the sidewalk to get in. As I recall, the big attraction in those days was that Echo served what were really nothing more than Pilsbury crescent rolls, but they were hot, fresh, and in short supply. You had to get there early or you got none!

And during that period, it was about the ONLY option on Hyde Park Square.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 15,649 times
Default Alm's Hotel

Elston

If memory serves me correctly, the Alms Hotel was in Walnut Hills? Anyone remember the Alms. However, I do remember having lunch in
a restuarant in that hotel several times. I've been gone from Cincy too long now and many of the memories are fading away.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Yes - there was a Johnny Bench's Home Plate on Colerain Ave right at the southern entrance to Northgate Mall. I think it was gone before the '70s were.

We went to Johnny Bench's when it first opened. Don't remember the food but do remember a humongous baseball glove chair in the foyer while waiting to be seated at a table.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM

311 posts, read 1,753,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtlenn View Post
If memory serves me correctly, the Alms Hotel was in Walnut Hills? Anyone remember the Alms. However, I do remember having lunch in
a restuarant in that hotel several times.
Yes, it was in Walnut Hills. Business declined throughout the 1960's and they closed it down at some point in the '70's, I think. There was a period during which they advertised heavily on television: I can still remember the manager, Victor J. Giles, from those commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati