Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:21 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Anyone in this forum currently seeing how this streetcar will change their commute patterns or other ways they'll be making use of it?
There are a lot of college educated Millennials who would move to an up and coming area with great architecture because of a street car. It may not appeal to a couple 40 year married couple with 2 kids but it does have appeal for single younger people.

As someone who doesn't live in Cincy but visits sometimes I would take a street that went between attractions like the art museum and Union Station. I wouldn't take a streetcar that simply circled an area that's improving but still has lots of crime, but I understand that anti urban politicians do look to cut projects like streetcars. Building it with the current route is better than millions in studies but no street car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:25 PM

124 posts, read 138,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are a lot of college educated Millennials who would move to an up and coming area with great architecture because of a street car. It may not appeal to a couple 40 year married couple with 2 kids but it does have appeal for single younger people.

As someone who doesn't live in Cincy but visits sometimes I would take a street that went between attractions like the art museum and Union Station. I wouldn't take a streetcar that simply circled an area that's improving but still has lots of crime, but I understand that anti urban politicians do look to cut projects like streetcars. Building it with the current route is better than millions in studies but no street car.
I'm 40, married and have 4 kids and it really appeals to me. Ha ha!

In fact, it was the streetcar, the up and coming downtown and OTR that made me choose Cincy over other good city options.

40 something people (Gen X) are probably more aligned to Millenials than Baby Boomers or should I say Millenials are more aligned to Gen X. I have tattoos, played in grunge rock bands, and learned about the importance of recycling and alternative energy sources long before any Millenial was born.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:34 AM

95 posts, read 102,505 times
at the risk of suffering the wrath of derail(ha)ing the thread,

Streetcar and vehicle collide Downtown

righteous indignation! you see! the streetcar was folly to begin with!

but seriously, people who hate going downtown because of the layout, traffic, parking, troves of roving weirdos, hot dog man, etc... will have to deal with this now. it's going to be a common theme. when we were visiting a friend in zurich, he said they have collisions daily. i assume their streetcar has been operational for some time now, being it's europe. but it's also a touristy city, but a considerable amount of downtown traffic (i assume) is suburban tourists.

anyways, sorry for the derail.

also can someone answer me this; the cincinnati streetcar psa says you can't drive on the streetcar track. that can't be true, can it?

Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 AM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
What's the difference between a streetcar and a car colliding and two cars colliding? You don't see people saying, "I'm not going there because I might get a fender bender". Good grief, if the streetcar keeps someone away from downtown they really weren't interested in the first place.

Normally, one can drive on rails. It never appeared to me that these were intended to be designated lanes for the streetcar.

I'm still blown away at the people who really believe a streetcar should cover it's costs and/or make a profit while they are completely ok with local road funding coming 100% from the general fund, about 70% of state road funding coming from the general fund, and 50% of new federal road funding coming from the general fund. I think the proper term for this belief is cafeteria style libertarianism.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:31 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruschev View Post
at the risk of suffering the wrath of derail(ha)ing the thread,

Streetcar and vehicle collide Downtown

righteous indignation! you see! the streetcar was folly to begin with!

but seriously, people who hate going downtown because of the layout, traffic, parking, troves of roving weirdos, hot dog man, etc... will have to deal with this now. it's going to be a common theme. when we were visiting a friend in zurich, he said they have collisions daily. i assume their streetcar has been operational for some time now, being it's europe. but it's also a touristy city, but a considerable amount of downtown traffic (i assume) is suburban tourists.

anyways, sorry for the derail.

also can someone answer me this; the cincinnati streetcar psa says you can't drive on the streetcar track. that can't be true, can it?
You can drive on the street car lines, you just have to be careful when parking. You have to be inside the white lines or you will lose your side mirror. Not sure how you hit a giant yellow train though.

And you're right, just read those horrible comments on the article. Plus I've already seen facebook posts about people being happy that this car wrecked into it. They feel vindicated or something. I've never understood why so many suburbanites even care. I don't care what Blue Ash, Harrison or Florence spend their money on.

But that's all ancient history now. It opens in about 3 weeks. My wife and I were already talking about how we're looking forward to parking at the Mercer garage, putting our name in at The Eagle and then riding it up Rhinegiest while we wait.

Last edited by cincydave8; 08-17-2016 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 AM

266 posts, read 271,763 times
I was hoping they would at least design the Street Car with a vintage look that would blend into the city-scape better, maybe a German look or even the SF street car trolley type of design, not an ugly ass City bus looking thing.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
I was hoping they would at least design the Street Car with a vintage look that would blend into the city-scape better, maybe a German look or even the SF street car trolley type of design, not an ugly ass City bus looking thing.
It's transportation, not a gimmick.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 AM

95 posts, read 102,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
that's debatable. mallory essentially called it advertising

Old 08-17-2016, 01:42 PM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruschev View Post
that's debatable. mallory essentially called it advertising
Mallory called it a driver of new development. Which it has proven to be many times over. It's primary purpose is transportation around the basin (formerly to uptown before it came into contact with Kasich's unending wisdom). I'm not sure how the streetcar could be called an "advertisement" other than the actual advertisement space in and on the vehicles. This city seems full of sore losers.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:20 PM

266 posts, read 271,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
Just because its Transportation doesn't mean it has to look like Crap. Nothing wrong with a functional system (yet to be proven) embracing the heritage of a community or going for an upscale look at least. That hideous looking bus is just missing some graffiti to have that nice Philly/NYC look, but I am sure it will be coming along soon enough to complete the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati